Metal Gear Solid

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
nexus said:
You are just completely serious aren't you.

Have you ever considered it *is* funny to quite a lot of people, who *do* realize it's not just a "baby killing joke"? Barring that, have you considered this isn't even offensive. Should I take up your duties at reading what you consider offensive, so you don't have to?

Better yet, I'll make sure the Escapist runs everything by you to make sure it isn't considered 'inappropriate'. If we want to include other things, including things I find offensive, then this could get pretty tricky. I think advertising games like "Call of Duty" and their gratuitous "kill-trailers" that show drone killings and aerial bombings is offensive. But you know what? Not that big of a deal. It's my personal issue. I've come to realize as an adult, that I have the free-will to pay it no mind, or realize most people don't see it that way and they just enjoy it as a game. So I walk the other way, and understand there is more to the world than myself, or my perceived righteous view of the world.

Anyway, since you seem to be the Grand Emperor King of Comedy, and what doesn't make you laugh, doesn't make anyone in the world laugh.. I will alert all professional comedians to run everything off your royal decree, so we live in a better funnier world.
Sorry, I forgot on the internet saying "I don't like this because..." is akin to saying "THIS SHOULDN'T EXIST NOR ANYTHING LIKE IT! RARARRGH!!"

If you reread what I said, I never said anything like what you seem to think I said. I simply pointed out that what (most) people don't like about the comic isn't that it was dark, but that they didn't think it was funny. I then explained why that was bad (to them). Dark comedy that isn't actually funny (and YES I KNOW THAT IS SUBJECTIVE) is worse than normal comedy that isn't funny.

There seems to be a lot of willful misinterpretation of a lot of people's opinions on this. Most people are not "Offended" by this, despite what those who like it seem to think. They just didn't find it funny.

The common misconception is that people who don't like your humor just don't get it. We get the strip. It's just not funny to us.

There's no law against voicing one's opinion. In fact, I really like Crit Miss (usually), which makes me MORE likely to criticize it. Do I think the writers have to follow my opinion? Of course not. It's important, however, for artists to know what people think of their work. They don't have to agree, and they don't have to do anything. Feedback however, is important.

So chill.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mysnomer said:
Jumplion said:
Look at the context, though. Snake is in a bath robe, with a son. So I immediately think, This is one of those "video game character acts incongruously with real life" jokes. Then he shakes a baby (which could have used better visual indication, because there are no shake lines or anything), and regardless of whether or not the baby is dead (pretty likely in the given scenario), it still probably has Shaken Baby Syndrome. This is a perfectly logical train of thought, because the comic has indicated that you should be applying real life logic to the situation, even if the puchline is videogame logic. And if Snake has only "knocked the child out," then why is he crying? Unless there's a consequence, there's no reason for him to feel remorse. So the comic visually indicates to me that something sad has happened, but the super-secret, too-subtle-for-the-stiffs humor is telling me that I shouldn't feel bad because "it's only knocked it out." The comic is clashing with itself and even if you get it, the joke is not that funny. This is a poor quality comic strip, and I hope they return to form with their next.
Exactly, I agree with your assessment, read my last paragraph. This particular comic strip is basically a huge inside-joke for people who play MGS, purposefully inclusive so that they could draw attention and relish in the outrage of the people who don't "get" the joke. Not really ethical or well set up.

Fallen Paladin

Aug 16, 2012
Jumplion said:
Exactly, I agree with your assessment, read my last paragraph. This particular comic strip is basically a huge inside-joke for people who play MGS, purposefully inclusive so that they could draw attention and relish in the outrage of the people who don't "get" the joke. Not really ethical or well set up.
You relayed everything I was about to post much more succinctly than I was going to. Thanks.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
*sigh*

Jumplion said:
[HEADING=1]The baby is not actually dead. It is knocked out. Only enemies who are knocked out in MGS drop supplies. Hence why the blurb of Metal Gear Solid in the description.[/HEADING]
False.

<youtube=W1LEtFNwcUo>

Whether or not Grey meant for the baby to be actually dead or not is one thing. To go all header text to hammer in a point, when you are wrong is another.

(yes, seeing people make this point bothered me enough to go and film the wrongness. Yes, I'm aware that doesn't paint me in an awesome light. :p)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
burningdragoon said:
*sigh*

Jumplion said:
[HEADING=1]The baby is not actually dead. It is knocked out. Only enemies who are knocked out in MGS drop supplies. Hence why the blurb of Metal Gear Solid in the description.[/HEADING]
False.

<youtube=W1LEtFNwcUo>

Whether or not Grey meant for the baby to be actually dead or not is one thing. To go all header text to hammer in a point, when you are wrong is another.

(yes, seeing people make this point bothered me enough to go and film the wrongness. Yes, I'm aware that doesn't paint me in an awesome light. :p)

More or less what you can do in MGS, I suppose, though fair enough.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I am surprised nobody is point out that snake could never have a child outside maybe adoption which even then I doubt they would let him do.