Metal Gear Solid

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:
Seriously, showing loot dropped from a downed baby is not a punchline. I'm actually not sure what a good punchline would have been, which is why I called it a terrible idea in the first place.

How WERE they going to follow up on that second panel in a way that was remotely funny?
The joke is that the baby is not dead and only people who have played the MGS series would get this joke, making it doubly funny for them to read the outraged people in this thread. Only knocked out enemies drop supplies in MGS, so the joke is that it's not actually a dead baby joke.

Mind you, I think it's a clever joke, no because it's a good joke, but how this was set up. I already posted my main opinions on the second page, so yeah.
Oh good... he shook the baby until it PASSED OUT, that fixes everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken_baby_syndrome

So it's likely just brain damaged forever. Significantly better.

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:
Seriously, showing loot dropped from a downed baby is not a punchline. I'm actually not sure what a good punchline would have been, which is why I called it a terrible idea in the first place.

How WERE they going to follow up on that second panel in a way that was remotely funny?
The joke is that the baby is not dead and only people who have played the MGS series would get this joke, making it doubly funny for them to read the outraged people in this thread. Only knocked out enemies drop supplies in MGS, so the joke is that it's not actually a dead baby joke.

Mind you, I think it's a clever joke, no because it's a good joke, but how this was set up. I already posted my main opinions on the second page, so yeah.

Well,the elements of black comedy ARE horrible when taken into closer inspection,since they are usually about rape/murder/*insert horrible act here*.
That alone doesn't make it not funny(Although,funny is an objective term.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

Well,the elements of black comedy ARE horrible when taken into closer inspection,since they are usually about rape/murder/*insert horrible act here*.
...and as I said before, "lol he shook a baby and probably permanently injured it" is NOT a punchline. That's supposed to be the vehicle for a dark punchline, not the punchline itself.

Sure, you might find it funny, but I find it about as funny as farts; they're distasteful and, while possibly used in funny jokes, they aren't funny jokes by themselves.

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

...and as I said before, "lol he shook a baby and probably permanently injured it" is NOT a punchline. That's supposed to be the vehicle for a dark punchline, not the punchline itself.

Sure, you might find it funny, but I find it about as funny as farts.
I thought the punchline was the items scattered around him.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

The scattered items directly translates to "lol he knocked out the baby".

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

I know.
I think the main point would be the absurdity of a baby dropping that many items,which is where video game humor usually comes from.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
PapstJL4U said:
KeyMaster45 said:
And for those of us who've never played an MGS game it just looks like Snake killed his kid and sits weeping with regret among the items drops. For those in the know it's a mildly clever joke, for those who aren't it's just a needlessly vile and dark scene portraying a frustrated father murdering his crying child.

Today's strip was bad and the author should feel bad.

So far: every comic strip that isn't understood by everyone all the time is a bad strip? It's a comic strip about MGS, a well sold video game. Sure not everyone will get it, but its totally legit.
No, in-jokes are fine but this was handled very poorly. It's one thing for uninformed readers not to get the joke. It's something else entirely when not getting it leaves the closest assumption being that a parent just murdered their child for the very selfish, humorless, and horrifying reason that the child's crying annoyed them.

That is why this strip is bad. It's a complete failure of both the artist and author to get across their in-joke without it doubling as the shortened plot a snuff film.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
marche45 said:
Darkmantle said:
I don't really get what's funny about this... is it an MGS in-joke I'm missing?
Guards drop items when you knock them out.
So it was kind of a bait and switch joke I guess, It could've been funny if I got it at first.

Just reading it though all I could think was "kay, he killed a kid... where's that punchline?"

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I thought the punchline involved the baby dropping all that loot. Because like, babies don't normally do that.
Like, say if it was a comic where a guy was standing in an office foyer, pulled a foldable bike out his backpack and placed it down the 'punchline' would be Professor Oak appearing behind him whispering in his ear 'You can't use that here!'. Because in real life that wouldn't happen the guy would normally just be standing there with his bike out. So yeah, I think maybe the loot drop, although it did show that the baby was dead (or knocked out or whatever), was meant to be the joke because he's sitting there surrounded by floating swag.
Or yeah, maybe I'm just wrong and/or going to hell, whatever, I liked it.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Why... Why.. Do so many people think they need to point out something for being "inappropriate".

nexus

May 30, 2012
KeyMaster45 said:
No, in-jokes are fine but this was handled very poorly. It's one thing for uninformed readers not to get the joke. It's something else entirely when not getting it leaves the closest assumption being that a parent just murdered their child for the very selfish, humorless, and horrifying reason that the child's crying annoyed them.

That is why this strip is bad. It's a complete failure of both the artist and author to get across their in-joke without it doubling as the shortened plot a snuff film.
Are you for real.

Did you know that "Snake" is a cold, heartless, mass-murdering government killing machine, with post-traumatic stress disorder?

Maybe it's a joke about how we play these characters in video games, and that they are so implausible and absurd, that it warrants an equally implausible "joke" to get the point across to some people?

You know, just putting that out there.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

I know.
I think the main point would be the absurdity of a baby dropping that many items,which is where video game humor usually comes from.
I just don't think it translates that way.

It feels the same way to me as if they had done <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9541-Mass-Effect-3-Retake-This>this comic but left out the whole merchandise part of it.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
Wow.

I haven't felt that offended in a long time. And all it took were three pictures and a severely flawed punchline.

I cannot (and don't want to) understand the people who think that this strip is funny.

Hirumakage

Sep 28, 2009
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

I know.

It feels the same way to me as if they had done <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9541-Mass-Effect-3-Retake-This>this comic but left out the whole merchandise part of it.
But, people were angry over that too. Even though it had a clear punchline. People will get upset over anything.

A question though. Doesn't that comedian Tosh make dark jokes all the time? Yet, people love his work (though I really don't). What's the difference?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Hirumakage said:
A question though. Doesn't that comedian Tosh make dark jokes all the time? Yet, people love his work (though I really don't). What's the difference?

It actually has to be funny.

The strip wasn't.

Failing dark humor is worse than failing regular humor. If you fail regular humor you just come across as being a bit lame, but failing dark humor makes you look like you're trying too hard or just looking for attention.

I don't think (most) people are upset about the baby being killed/ko'd/shaken. It's more that Carter just tried so hard (and failed) to make a baby abuse joke.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hirumakage said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
marche45 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jumplion said:
lacktheknack said:

I know.

But, people were angry over that too. Even though it had a clear punchline. People will get upset over anything.

Referring to his "hilarious" "Wouldn't it be funny if this heckler got raped right now?" "joke" (the only one I know about), it suffers exactly the same problem. It treats the black part of the joke as the punchline, without actually delivering a real one.

And people got really ticked off about that one.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Jumplion said:
Look at the context, though. Snake is in a bath robe, with a son. So I immediately think, This is one of those "video game character acts incongruously with real life" jokes. Then he shakes a baby (which could have used better visual indication, because there are no shake lines or anything), and regardless of whether or not the baby is dead (pretty likely in the given scenario), it still probably has Shaken Baby Syndrome. This is a perfectly logical train of thought, because the comic has indicated that you should be applying real life logic to the situation, even if the puchline is videogame logic. And if Snake has only "knocked the child out," then why is he crying? Unless there's a consequence, there's no reason for him to feel remorse. So the comic visually indicates to me that something sad has happened, but the super-secret, too-subtle-for-the-stiffs humor is telling me that I shouldn't feel bad because "it's only knocked it out." The comic is clashing with itself and even if you get it, the joke is not that funny. This is a poor quality comic strip, and I hope they return to form with their next.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Krantos said:
It actually has to be funny.

The strip wasn't.

Failing dark humor is worse than failing regular humor. If you fail regular humor you just come across as being a bit lame, but failing dark humor makes you look like you're trying too hard or just looking for attention.

I don't think (most) people are upset about the baby being killed/ko'd/shaken. It's more that Carter just tried so hard (and failed) to make a baby abuse joke.
You are just completely serious aren't you.

Have you ever considered it *is* funny to quite a lot of people, who *do* realize it's not just a "baby killing joke"? Barring that, have you considered this isn't even offensive. Should I take up your duties at reading what you consider offensive, so you don't have to?

Better yet, I'll make sure the Escapist runs everything by you to make sure it isn't considered 'inappropriate'. If we want to include other things, including things I find offensive, then this could get pretty tricky. I think advertising games like "Call of Duty" and their gratuitous "kill-trailers" that show drone killings and aerial bombings is offensive. But you know what? Not that big of a deal. It's my personal issue. I've come to realize as an adult, that I have the free-will to pay it no mind, or realize most people don't see it that way and they just enjoy it as a game. So I walk the other way, and understand there is more to the world than myself, or my perceived righteous view of the world.

Anyway, since you seem to be the Grand Emperor King of Comedy, and what doesn't make you laugh, doesn't make anyone in the world laugh.. I will alert all professional comedians to run everything off your royal decree, so we live in a better funnier world.