Metal Gear - Sturdy Serpent

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Metal Gear - Sturdy Serpent

Played today, Metal Gear is both a charming retro throwback to the Solid line, and a great introduction to the series overall.

Read Full Article

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Metal Gear?

Someone had to say it.

The NES version was actually the first one I played, terrible translation and all("I feel asleep"). The only other one I played was MGS back in the 1990's on the PC and....I've kind of not bothered with the rest of the series. However, I got the legacy collection(all the main games and some of the important side ones(I guess that's what Peace Walker is))) so I guess at some point I'll see the whole thing from front to back.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The one annoying thing about this game are the punchable walls. They're never properly introduced, and they're a pain to discover.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I too applaud and respect the hell out of Kojima for going through the entire series without a reboot and keeping just about everything canon. While I'm not much of a fan, as I've only played a few of the games and only really enjoyed MGS5, I can definitely see why people love the hell out of it. However, I have to say that I wish Resident Evil got a bit more respect from the industry than it does, as in a lot of ways it's like the horror version of Metal Gear. But that's just me.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I first played Metal Gear on the PS1. I quite liked it, even though the theme was somewhat self contradicting. For all the story elements that tell us we should value and enjoy life, there sure is a lot of killing in the game.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The NES game is a damn fiddle travesty. They managed to find one way after another to ruin it. But the MSX2 original? The same one repackaged with MGS3 Subsistence? A wonderful game, a true classic, and one of my favorites. I kinda wanna go play it now.

P.S. Thanks

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Never bothered with the first Metal Gear and I still won't. It was cool seeing--what is that, the cover or the box? It's a straight ripoff of Michael Biehn from the first Terminator movie. Very cool.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
008Zulu said:
I first played Metal Gear on the PS1. I quite liked it, even though the theme was somewhat self contradicting. For all the story elements that tell us we should value and enjoy life, there sure is a lot of killing in the game.
You mean the third? Because the first Metal Gear never was on the PS1.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Bindal said:
008Zulu said:
You mean the third? Because the first Metal Gear never was on the PS1.
I think you misread my post. The first time I played MGS was on the PS1.