Metro 2033

Wulver

Feb 5, 2010
It seems like the gaming industry has come up with a new idea.

Apparently, developers are sick of waiting for movies to be released in order to turn them into games and have instead turned towards books. The first example of this is Dante's Inferno, which seems destined to fade into the annals of re-imagining history as a bad memory in quite the same way as the CGI crap-fest that was the Beowulf Movie, which didn't even give us the common courtesy of a truly naked Angelina Jolie.
4a, however, has decided to go against all that by creating a halfway decent game from the Russian Post-Apocalyptic novel, Metro 2033.

One of the brilliant (yet also, most difficult) things about basing a game around a novel as opposed to a movie is that when it comes to character design, you aren't trying to replicate the actors or the effects that were produced on-screen. You're attempting to recreate characters and beasties using only the descriptions given to you on paper by the author. Metro 2033 almost pulls it off too, in an ES IV: Oblivion kind of way.
I can honestly say that if Aliens Vs Predator had been based on one of it's numerous novels instead of the movies, they would have gotten away with the graphics faux pas in much the same way that Metro 2033 does. And you know what? Metro 2033 almost get's a pass on the graphics for one important reason. It's a Russian Post-Apocalyptic Stealth FPS. These people aren't supposed to look pretty, even before the Apocalypse. Admit it, the only time you've found a Russian attractive is on those late-night 1-900 ads on the telly.

While it's not much to look at in terms of character rendering, with it's graphics being something you would expect to see in earliest days of the 360, it does make up for this with it's storyline and atmosphere. The storyline, of course, come straight from the pages of Dmitry Glukhovsky, and the name of the game is survival. You have hordes of mutant rats and human bandits to contend with and a few rickety homemade guns to do it with.

Then, they through you a curveball.

Any bullets made before the End of the World (capitalised, for your pleasure) are worth their weight in gold. So now you're left with a problem: Load your guns with crappy, musket ball-reminiscent, homemade ammo for less damage OR load your guns with the shiny, military-grade, pre-war bullets in a fashion oddly similar to throwing your money into a fire. But have no fear, there is an alternative.

Throwing knives and arrows.

I honestly haven't had this much fun toying with lights and sneaking around in a *LONG* time. You find yourself carefully memorising patrol routes and times, sneaking around to turn off the gas lamps and checking your light gauge for stealth. You need to make every knife count and make sure you kill them first throw, or you're in a world of hurt. And whatever you do, DO NOT forget to pick up your knives off those dead Ruski's! Eventually, you'll always have to actually fight them head-on, but by that time, with any luck and skill, you should have taken out down 5 or 6 of their comrades and stolen everything right down to the bullet-fillings in their teeth.

Even the objective screen leaves you tense. You carry an open journal with a magical compass that always points to where you need to go, journal in you right hand, lighter in the other. And lighting can play a key part in this game: Until you find your night-vision, you're stuck skulking in the darkness with only your knives, lighter and torch for company. You'll rarely find yourself using either, however, since both your lighter and torch give away your position and your torch has the downside of needing a kinetic-charger to stay at full power, so the only times you'll use them is when following an ally or lighting a grenade and, in that sense, if Alone in Dark had used the same inventory/journal/lighter/torch mechanic, it may have actually been a bearable game.

Where Metro 2033 does fall short, however, is as a First Person Shooter. You'll constantly find yourself plodding behind some newly met ally through the subway systems of Moscow in a manner that makes you feel like you're playing a rail-shooter with a better degree of movement. The idea does seem to be to tell a story, but it does force you into a backseat role for the better part, while you listen to a forced Russian accent tell you to be wary of an incoming will-o-the-wisp.

The Surface levels do little to redeem this as well, with the buildings and pathways funnelling you towards a goal that you could easily find with your magic compass anyway, although you do have to keep a careful eye on your gasmask filter and swap it out regularly, lest you suffocate on the poisonous air of the surface, but this doesn't even add to much tension. Even if your gasmask is damaged in combat (which it inevitably will be, especially in one of the blessedly few quicktime-events with the mutie rats) there are plenty of spare masks and filters lying around so that you don't really need to panic when you hear yourself starting to wheeze.

It seems like so many people before you over the last 20 years have all gotten themselves offed at key points that you'll never be found wanting of clean air.
Unfortunately, the Stealth aspect of Metro 2033 isn't enough to save this game, but it is enough to make the it both fun and tense at certain points.
And if developers keep this up, who knows? Maybe they actually WILL have a notable novel-based game by 2033...

vede

Dec 4, 2007
I feel like you're on the way toward having a good grasp on how to write reviews, but you're not quite there yet. This wasn't very bad, but it wasn't all that great either. There's some parts where you've got something pretty nice put into writing ("in a fashion oddly similar to throwing your money in a fire") and some parts that put me off. Specifically, the bits about novel-based games being new or rare, and the part where you said that all Russians are ugly. Games based on novels aren't new. Actually, most of the people currently at 4A came from GSC, who made STALKER, which is (loosely) based on the novel Roadside Picnic. As for the Russians-are-ugly thing, I think you're a bit off here. I actually tend to find Russians to be an attractive people. And I don't think that a Russian (well, Ukrainian) game development team would try to make their own demographic look like a bunch of ugly freaks just because of their nationality. Remember that you're playing a game that's based on a novel whose base concept is that of a large number of people who have been living underground in an abandoned metro for generations. They make tea with cave shrooms and live in a world that's been destroyed by nuclear war, and which is full of mutants and various other nasty things. I would expect these people to be ugly because that's just how the world works. Nuclear war, mutants, and prolonged underground living seem like they'd be some major contributors to ugliness.

As well, you have some consistent grammatical errors in your review. You use the apostrophe far too often. Apostrophes are only used to show possession (except in the case of pronouns), or in contractions to note where characters have been omitted. You persistently append "'s" to the ends of verbs, which is incorrect. "He gets it" is correct, while "he get's it" is not.

Another more minor problem is capitalization. This is minor enough that the errors may just have been accidents, but I noticed that occasionally, you capitalize things that have no business being capitalized. In the first sentence of the last paragraph, you capitalized "stealth," which shouldn't be capitalized, for example.

And you might want to try to improve your spell-checking skills. I noticed a few words that were spelled incorrectly.

And holy crap, I forgot all about the fact that the English translation of Metro 2033 is supposed to be available by now. *Goes to hunt for it*

Wulver

Feb 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, vede.

I admit, I do get a bit over zealous with my apostrephes and my grammar isn't up to the best of standards. I did also fail to proofread this properly, which I did (as well as spell checking a editing the post with a renewed copy) about the same time that you posted this reply.

My generalisation of Russian appearances was mostly in a bit of light-hearted fun. I can't really see anyone getting too offended by it (knock on wood).
My comments of developers taking on novels instead of films now was a bit of a broad statement as well. I read up on 4A a little before writing the above review and realise that two of the key players in 4A were also part of the the development team for the X-Ray engine used in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and was mostly trying to convey that, while film-based games have been done to death over a period of decades, novels have only been getting mainstream gaming attention in the last several years. At least, to the best of my knowledge.

Unfortunately, I was trying to keep the review relatively short (it's around the 950 word mark) and couldn't really find a way to work it in to the review itself without breaking the flow.

I do admit that this is literally the first time I've ever reviewed anything at all, so I can only expect to have made some pretty rookie mistakes, but once again, thanks for the feedback. I'll definately be taking it on-board.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Wulver said:
My generalisation of Russian appearances was mostly in a bit of light-hearted fun. I can't really see anyone getting too offended by it (knock on wood).
I am sooo offended. How DARE YOU mock my country? Aaargh.
Still have to try the game, it might not be great but it's fucking better than everything else by Russian developers, that's for sure.

D.L.390

Jan 16, 2010
I didn't even know Metro 2033 existed till I saw an ad for it on EBgames.com.au.

And I'm still trying to work out how it's not a remake/ripoff of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Is it? Is it not?

VulcanJoo

Dec 1, 2009
I am actually looking forward to this game. I loved all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games warts and all.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
It's not really like stalker, it's far more FPS based and linear. I'm really enjoying it at the moment :)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
My PC can only run STALKER on "Piss Low", and even then lags up with more than a few characters on screen.

So, Metro 2033 is as close as I get. But much less open, from what I hear.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I just bought Call of Pripyat yesterday, this game interested me. I just may pick it up despite it not having the immersion effect as my beloved STALKER games.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
ultrachicken said:
I was so looking forward to this game...

[sub]*sniff*[/sub]
Why are you not any more? It's a solid game with a good plot.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah whats keeping me off from BUYING THIS NAUGH is the 60 price tag and the fact it's 10 hrs long. I tolerated that with Batman: Arkham Asylum mind you, but he's the goddamn batman.

Sieni

Aug 8, 2009
I just played through this game a few minutes ago, and it was really good. I loved every aspect of it. Totally worth the money.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Skopintsev said:
I just bought Call of Pripyat yesterday, this game interested me. I just may pick it up despite it not having the immersion effect as my beloved STALKER games.
I loved Stalker since day 1 and I have to say Metro is an ok knock off/successor. It lifts a few basic ideas from Stalker (Not the movie or book) and expands them. It's pretty much linear and some of the elements like the gasmask and battery charging for the flashlight and NVGs would fit perfectly in stalker. The human combat is much better (feels like Deus Ex in a sneaky way) but the monster combat suffers from not having enough tension, Stalker twists the nerves by having you alone for a half hour tense and nervous and then. OHMYGODAFUCKINGBLOODSUCKER. This game is more cinematic and guided, missing out on the stuff that made stalker great and avoiding that lack of polish that hampered Strelock and the boys. I got it on 360 just so I could let my brother play it like a non-alcoholic version of Stalker. Fortunately they are so different that you can play both and equally say "Man this would work great in Metro/Stalker." They really only share production design and mood so don't let that put you off either.