Metro Exodus Announced!!

Jan 19, 2016
Okay, I'll admit, that actually looks pretty good. According to comments I saw from the devs, its not open world, but has a hub with semi-open level zones branching off from it, so its open-ish linear.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Looks good, but I am worried it's all pre-rendered and what not. I am bothered by the cross bow. One of the neat things I like about metro are the homemade styled weapons it gives the game a lot of it's flavor and uniqueness. Why have a cross bow when the Helsing dose everything a crossbow dose except it doesn't look like it was taken from far cry. The other aspect I worry about is are we still going to visit stations. The thing I love most about the first two metro games is visiting the different stations and getting a good sense of people live her, this is what how, and this is why. If we are above ground for most of the game that just throws a whole new thing.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
nomotog said:
Looks good, but I am worried it's all pre-rendered and what not. I am bothered by the cross bow. One of the neat things I like about metro are the homemade styled weapons it gives the game a lot of it's flavor and uniqueness. Why have a cross bow when the Helsing dose everything a crossbow dose except it doesn't look like it was taken from far cry. The other aspect I worry about is are we still going to visit stations. The thing I love most about the first two metro games is visiting the different stations and getting a good sense of people live her, this is what how, and this is why. If we are above ground for most of the game that just throws a whole new thing.
From what I've picked up the story is about Artyom leaving Moscow on a cross-continent train trip, so I doubt the little slice-of-life bits will be present unless they meet a bunch of people living outside Moscow.

I'm hugely skeptical but am cautiously optimistic.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
nomotog said:
From what I've picked up the story is about Artyom leaving Moscow on a cross-continent train trip, so I doubt the little slice-of-life bits will be present unless they meet a bunch of people living outside Moscow.

I'm hugely skeptical but am cautiously optimistic.
I kind of think they will try and shove all the station stuff onto the train and I don't think that would quite work. It would be too small and not connected enough with the metro itself.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bilious Green said:
Okay, I'll admit, that actually looks pretty good. According to comments I saw from the devs, its not open world, but has a hub with semi-open level zones branching off from it, so its open-ish linear.
This...I like this. It's a good balance.
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
B-Cell, the fact that you just said that Metro Redux and Last Light improved on 2033 basically proves to me that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Hate to say this, but I agree with B-Cell. 2033 was a game I almost didn't finish because of how bullshit it is. Stealth was a broken (not broken as in over powered, broken in that it felt like it didn't work) mess, the instructions for dealing with Librarians don't work, and fucking, FUCKING Amobeas.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
>Bashes on open world games and games that are heavily scripted
>Praises a game that is open world and heavily scripted

The whole video is 100% scripted, if this was ANY other game, you'd shit on it.
1. Its not open world. its non linear like Crysis and Stalker. read the article my friend. Metro did need to be non linear or sandbox in order to be like Stalker and here there are linear tunnels like previous games too

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/11/15779688/metro-exodus-xbox-e3

We've gone up to the surface a couple of times before but as you can see, we are combining the classic Metro experience, which is these linear levels that were underground, with these sandbox levels
2. Unlike other games. Metro games have depth even they have scripted events. and its atmosphere alone worth it. games like wolfenstein new order doesnot have atmosphere and are far more scripted than both metro games combine.

3. this video is not a gameplay video but more like CGI trailer in first person.
1. ''It?s that ability to travel and really explore the world introduced in Exodus that Bloch wanted to stress. Players will finally get the ability to explore more than just Moscow ? and spend time in a new open-world.''

2. What kind of ''depth'' does Metro have that gives it right to have scripted events while other games don't? Metro is still heavily scripted and I can assure you that Exodus will be the most scripted Metro game to date.

3. Yeah, it's all scripted gameplay.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

1. Its not open world. its non linear like Crysis and Stalker. read the article my friend. Metro did need to be non linear or sandbox in order to be like Stalker and here there are linear tunnels like previous games too

We've gone up to the surface a couple of times before but as you can see, we are combining the classic Metro experience, which is these linear levels that were underground, with these sandbox levels
2. Unlike other games. Metro games have depth even they have scripted events. and its atmosphere alone worth it. games like wolfenstein new order doesnot have atmosphere and are far more scripted than both metro games combine.

3. this video is not a gameplay video but more like CGI trailer in first person.
1. ''It?s that ability to travel and really explore the world introduced in Exodus that Bloch wanted to stress. Players will finally get the ability to explore more than just Moscow ? and spend time in a new open-world.''

2. What kind of ''depth'' does Metro have that gives it right to have scripted events while other games don't? Metro is still heavily scripted and I can assure you that Exodus will be the most scripted Metro game to date.

Its open world in the vein of Stalker. not like far cry where you travel useless from point A to point B.

Metro has depth and exploration unlike other scripted shooters like bioshock infinite of that era.

there are many reason why i dislike other open world games or scripted linear games and adore metro. alone for atmosphere metro worth it.

its not gameplay trailer. its just a trailer in first person view. as this game has most exploration due to sandbox in the series has offer.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
OMG OMG OMG IT LOOKS ALMOST AS GOOD AS QUANTUM BREAK AND PREY!

THAT 100% SCRIPTED CINEMATIC NON-GAMEPLAY HAS ME TOTALLY SOLD! EVEN THOUGH THE LAST GAME WAS DULL ENOUGH THAT I FORGOT TO FINISH IT!

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Zhukov said:

THAT 100% SCRIPTED CINEMATIC NON-GAMEPLAY HAS ME TOTALLY SOLD! EVEN THOUGH THE LAST GAME WAS DULL ENOUGH THAT I FORGOT TO FINISH IT!
last 2 games were great games and one of the best FPS franchise of last generation. theres the reason why im hyping it my friend.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
B-Cell said:
Zhukov said:

last 2 games were great games and one of the best FPS franchise of last generation. theres the reason why im hyping it my friend.
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

Its open world in the vein of Stalker. not like far cry where you travel useless from point A to point B.

Metro has depth and exploration unlike other scripted shooters like bioshock infinite of that era.

there are many reason why i dislike other open world games or scripted linear games and adore metro. alone for atmosphere metro worth it.

its not gameplay trailer. its just a trailer in first person view. as this game has most exploration due to sandbox in the series has offer.
What depth and exploration? Wandering down a short tunnel to one side instead if heading straight from A to B? How do you know it's in the vein of STALKER? Do you know there's going to be an attempt at emergent gameplay? How do you know it won't just be Artyom bumbling about and shooting mutant occasionally?

This has just as much chance to be terrible as it does decent. Last Light was middling at best and I dearly loved 2033 but I won't pretend that it was amazing.

If they can pull off the levels having the look at atmosphere of the swamps in Last Light over the whole game then we're good. Otherwise I'm skeptical.

Also please stop with the STALKER comparisons. Metro is Metro, STALKER is STALKER. They're totally different settings and styles. You sound like you played Complete 2012 on Stalker difficulty once and now you're an expert.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
You know what the coolest bit about Metro 2033, Metro 2034 and Last Light was? The Moscow Metro. You know what this trailer didn't show me? The Moscow Metro.

The entire thing about Metro 2033 (the book) is that it is post-apocalyptic fiction that takes its' cue from the actual Soviet plans for a nuclear war, where the intention was to shelter people in the Moscow metro and to be able to resume government from prepared shelters connected to it. It is also special in that a lot of its' inspiration comes from actual folklore about the Moscow metro. Both the books and the games were always at their best when they focused on life and mysteries in the metro and at their worst when they tried to show us what the outside was like.

The game might be good, I enjoyed Last Light after all, even if it never reached Metro 2033's level of atmosphere, but it also feels as if it might be moving in a direction where it won't grab my interest.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
B-Cell said:
What does this even mean? I've played STALKER and it's very much a open world game, no where do they say it's anything like Stalker.

What you MEAN by depth? Can you explain what this depth is that other games apparently don't have? There's barely any exploration in Metro, at all. They're both very linear games with barely any exploration at all.

Please do explain those reasons because all I've read so far is nonsense. So everything is suddenly forgiven if it has a good atmosphere? Yeah I don't believe that for a second coming from you who acts like open world AND scripted linear are the devils cruel jokez towards humanity.

...I know it's not gameplay because it's scripted.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Loved 2033, Last Light already felt like a minor step back (but was stil great), but I'm not feeling Exodus. Atleast not yet. Small details like the crossbow, and appearantly not taking place in a Metro system looks wrong to me.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
What does this even mean? I've played STALKER and it's very much a open world game, no where do they say it's anything like Stalker.
He probably means that it's a series of maps linked together with loading screens. I'm not sure it will be as free as STALKER though. I get the feeling that it will be several open maps that link together but when the story calls for it you can't go backwards.

So the first area might be called The Trainyard which links to The Moscow Metro and Red Square maps, but eventually when the plot moves on to The Countryside you can't go back to The Trainyard, but The Countryside links to The Caves and The Farmstead. I dunno if that makes sense.

What doesn't/wouldn't make sense is if you can travel all the way from a late game area to the beginning areas of the story if the story is about leaving the Metro. The fuel for the train was probably difficult to scrape together and the journey out of Moscow will probably be incredibly difficult and dangerous. I don't believe that once you're out of Moscow the people traveling will have the fuel to travel freely back and forth because Artyom forgot to check a cupboard back in Moscow.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Poetic Nova said:
Loved 2033, Last Light already felt like a minor step back (but was stil great), but I'm not feeling Exodus. Atleast not yet. Small details like the crossbow, and appearantly not taking place in a Metro system looks wrong to me.
What's your beef with the Crossbow?

I have seen people complaining about the Crossbow in the game, it fits with the whole look of weapons you get in this game.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Does anyone know any iformation about how it is structured? Is it open world, non linear or metroidvania? Is it possible to walk from one end of the map to the other, or is it set in zone? Is it the narrative scripted, systemised or mission based? What does it have of inventory management? What does it have of survival mechanics? Does it have base mangement mechanics?
Poetic Nova said:
I didn't feel Last Light before the Ranger Guides came out, so who knows?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Please do explain those reasons because all I've read so far is nonsense. So everything is suddenly forgiven if it has a good atmosphere? Yeah I don't believe that for a second coming from you who acts like open world AND scripted linear are the devils cruel jokez towards humanity.
Far cry. you have insane long unskippable cutscene and go throught point A to point B and most time spending while traveling.

here developer said its Linear game in tunnels while open ended at outside. it will not require driving and traveling instead exploration like Stalker games. its semi open game. its a game that imagine if Stalker has metro graphics.

open world games are imo fine if they follow Stalker/Crysis instead of Far cry/Assasins creed/GTA where 80% of time spent in traveling.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Poetic Nova said:
What's your beef with the Crossbow?

I have seen people complaining about the Crossbow in the game, it fits with the whole look of weapons you get in this game.
It may sound like nitpicking, but it looks too refined compared to the rest of the aesthetics. That and I question it's use when we already have the Hellsing rifle in previous titles, which loads 8 arrows at once, and can be overpressurised.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Goliath100 said:
Poetic Nova said:
I didn't feel Last Light before the Ranger Guides came out, so who knows?
I'm not writing it off yet, mind. Once more is shown or something the interest may rise.