I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
It's got Commies AND Nazis
Double whammy
Also nipples and mutants who don't count as anything but target practice
Very important

bunji

Nov 14, 2010
I get incredibly pissy about poor FOV, thankfully there is a fix for LL if you bother looking for it.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Yep, pretty much what I always imagined Toon Links attitude to be like. Didn't know he was into FPSs though. I guess if you spent all day adventuring, puzzle solving, and sword fighting in colorful fun environments, a shooter would probably be your ideal escapism.

canadamus_prime said:
Um... Link, you're not supposed to be talking.
I'm guessing you missed the whole [a href-"http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9566-Chapter-2"]Up, Up, Down, Down[/a] storyarc.

And [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9566-Chapter-2"]this[/a]

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
Yep, pretty much what I always imagined Toon Links attitude to be like. Didn't know he was into FPSs though. I guess if you spent all day adventuring, puzzle solving, and sword fighting in colorful fun environments, a shooter would probably be your ideal escapism.

canadamus_prime said:
I'm guessing you missed the whole [a href-"http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9566-Chapter-2"]Up, Up, Down, Down[/a] storyarc.

And [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9566-Chapter-2"]this[/a]
No I didn't miss the whole thing, just the ending. Ok I stand corrected.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Biodeamon said:
That is a legitimate point come to think of it...
Not really, you can do that with any two shooters. Just take two points that are similar in both games and suddenly both games are the same! In halo you get a pistol and shoot aliens. In Alien vs predator you get a pistol and shoot aliens. Both games are in first person and both games have a motion tracker. Totally the same right?

Except it's not, because that's a logical fallacy. Its in the same vein as "my table has four legs, my dog has four legs, my dog is a table".

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Cenzton said:
erttheking said:
Still not getting the whole FOV thing.
There's no FOV slider in Last Light.

Which, by the way, I think it's a completely ridiculous thing to get all pissy about. Like multiplayer, it really doesn't need to be in every shooter ever made.
A small FOV can result in headaches and motion sickness. Its really something you should have.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Dogstile said:
Biodeamon said:
That is a legitimate point come to think of it...
Not really, you can do that with any two shooters. Just take two points that are similar in both games and suddenly both games are the same! In halo you get a pistol and shoot aliens. In Alien vs predator you get a pistol and shoot aliens. Both games are in first person and both games have a motion tracker. Totally the same right?

Except it's not, because that's a logical fallacy. Its in the same vein as "my table has four legs, my dog has four legs, my dog is a table".
My dog is a footstool :p

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Man alive! I love lil troll link! I'm jealous, all my inner criticism manifests in my talking black pug.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
"and the public gets what the public wants." Interesting song choice, Grey.

DVS BSTrD said:
And there are plenty of other things to kill in Metro besides Russians.
Same's true of COD, though.

canadamus_prime said:
Well excuuuuuuuse me, prin...Sorry, force of habit.
Gee! It sure is boring around here!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cenzton said:
erttheking said:

Which, by the way, I think it's a completely ridiculous thing to get all pissy about. Like multiplayer, it really doesn't need to be in every shooter ever made.
Not sure you could have picked a less relevant comparison whilst still trying to make the comparison seem relevant. FOV is a matter of functionality, plain and simple. It's more akin to claiming a full list of screen resolutions isn't necessary.

SirCannonFodder said:
Cenzton said:
erttheking said:

Yes, because one is an option that allows people to experience a game without getting headaches and/or nausea after 5 minutes that, if planned for, doesn't require all that much extra work, and the other is an entire separate game mode that requires a ton of extra assets, coding, and play testing. They're completely the same thing.
Small FOV normally drives me crazy but Last Light was all right, I think because it's vertically short as opposed to being overtly slim horizontally. At least they've added in a config work around for the time being.

erttheking said:
It makes games unplayable for enough people for other people to get pissy about it being complained about. If you play on a console you're much less likely to have an issue with it, because you're usually sat much farther away.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
But there's no chest high walls and not everything is brown?
Replacing brown with grey doesn't really improve the problem does it? And, I also seem to recall lots of walls.

That isn't to say I think the comparison is entirely fair. While they are mechanically very similar they differ greatly in theme, tone and pacing which is nice.