Metroid Prime 4 STRONGLY hinted at in Federation Force

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Awesome, it's been awhile since we had a new Metroid game.

Last one was Prime 3 in 2007, right?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Huh, I wasn't aware Federation Force was out already.

Also do Retro Studio still own the right to Metriod well Prime?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Give me a 2D Metroid and I might be interested. :(

Frankly though, I'm happy that Federation Force at least exists. Since Metroid is one of the few Nintendo universes that has something approaching a consistent mythos/worldbuilding (there's Legend of Zelda, maybe Fire Emblem, arguably Pokemon), and is still active (Golden Sun 4, where are you?), I'm all for side-stories being told in its universe.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Maybe this is what Nintendo meant by us expecting something interesting that fans will enjoy with this game. It just happens to not involve the game itself. I know the game has a rather... iffy art style, but I feel like more definition on that character model could've been used to make it look a tiny bit more like Sylux. I can see the resemblance, but it's not quite right somehow. But this is cool, here's hoping it does lead into a true new title in the series

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
So, my brother got this game, and I've played about an hour of it, and, it's not bad. So it's not the Metroid game we all want, believe me, the announcement of Fed Force felt like a kick to the stomach. But having given it a chance, I'm sad that it will be forever condemned a horrible game because it's not what we want exactly.

Just had to get that out. If Nintendo is working on a proper Metroid, I hope Fed Force's existence can be forgiven. I should stress it's not an amazing game, I would prefer a proper Metroid in its place, but so far, it's fun.

By the way, the Gamestop we got our copy from was only sent one copy. Soooooooo I don't see this game selling too well, on top of all the negativity surrounding it.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Holy shit do I need this to be true. Prime is my all time favourite game and the Metroid series is my favourite thing Nintendo does. I also thought Sylux was the best of the other Hunters in Hunters. So, you could say I'm all for this. Please don't let me down, Nintendo.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Look, just make a Metroid game that's either like Super Metroid or Prime or Fusion or any Metroid game that was even remotely well received. Just not like Federation Force and NOTHING like that which must not be named.

Why is this so freaking hard for Nintendo?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
erttheking said:
Look, just make a Metroid game that's either like Super Metroid or Prime or Fusion or any Metroid game that was even remotely well received. Just not like Federation Force and NOTHING like that which must not be named.
By that logic no spin-off should ever be made, ever.

This coming from the person whose avatar is based on one such spin-off.

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
inu-kun said:
altnameJag said:
Awesome, it's been awhile since we had a new Metroid game.

Last one was Prime 3 in 2007, right?
Yep, I also wonder when we'll finally see a Tsukihime anime.
You guys are way off base. Metroid Other M was released and Tsukihime already had an anime, they were both pretty ba-

Oh my god... I'm so sorry I didn't realise you were just... I'm sorry..

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hawki said:
erttheking said:

....I fail to see how you made that leap in logic. I said Metroid should be based off of something that was well received and you say I should be against spin-offs in general? No. Allow me to clarify. I'm against spin-offs done by people who can't create good spin offs. Nintendo's attempts at spin offs with Metroid that they didn't let other companies handle range from abysmal to mediocre.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
erttheking said:

Why is this so freaking hard for Nintendo?
Because Nintendo is old and out of touch. But, Other M plays just like Super Metroid. The story just happens to be shit. Anyway, I hope Prime 4 is a thing. An HD remaster of the trilogy wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
erttheking said:
Hawki said:
erttheking said:

....I fail to see how you made that leap in logic. I said Metroid should be based off of something that was well received and you say I should be against spin-offs in general? No. Allow me to clarify. I'm against spin-offs done by people who can't create good spin offs. Nintendo's attempts at spin offs with Metroid that they didn't let other companies handle range from abysmal to mediocre.
Well, that's debatable - Prime started off as a spinoff, and as apathic as I am to the game personally, I won't deny that I'm the minority there. The Prime sub-series is certainly a...well, sub-series, but they're a different beast from the 2D games. Your original post read that "just make a Metroid game that's either like Super Metroid or Prime or Fusion." If the demand was met pre-Prime, then Prime itself would have never been made. So if you're indeed open to spin-offs, then what's stopping Federation Force from being made? Apart from the usual fan vitriol, so far the critical consensus is net positive.

Foolery said:
But, Other M plays just like Super Metroid. The story just happens to be shit.
So...its story is like Super Metroid's as well then? ;p

I jest, but it is interesting that so many give Other M a hard time for its story, when Super Metroid basically has no story whatsoever. I can appreciate the argument that no story is better than a bad story, but it's one of the reasons why I prefer Zero Mission and Fusion to Super Metroid, since they keep the gameplay framework while inserting narrative.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hawki said:
You missed a key part of my argument. "That they didn't let other companies handle" Metroid Prime was good. Because Nintendo had nothing to do with it. Retro developed it. Prime was a classic. Federation Force seems to be, at best, average.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
erttheking said:
Hawki said:
You missed a key part of my argument. "That they didn't let other companies handle" Metroid Prime was good. Because Nintendo had nothing to do with it. Retro developed it. Prime was a classic. Federation Force seems to be, at best, average.
Actually, Nintendo's Production Group 3 co-developed it. But if I'm reading you correctly, it's the idea that Federation Force would have been better if Retro developed it? If so...well, Retro does seem to have a better track record than Next Level Games, but there's also the question of whether they could have or wanted to develop it, or if they really are working on Prime 4. After all, the stated intent of Federation Force was to expand on the setting and, IIRC, pave the way for a future installment of some kind. Which, as this thread points out, it strongly hints at.

And hey, it can't be worse than Hunters, right? Right?!

(Looks are scores)

Damn it. :(