Metroid Prime 4 Teased in Federation Force Ending

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Souplex said:
What ever happened to Retro making "Metroid: Dread" as a 2d Platformer for the handhelds? I would love that.
I doubt I'm going to get an NX, so I really hope they don't hold Metroid hostage on it.
Sadly, it was never more than a rumour. Assuming it was ever real at all, safe to say it was likely cancelled in the early stages.

Hawki said:
Hate to be 'that guy,' and goodness knows I've played around with post-Fusion scenarios in fanfiction, but is a sequel really needed?

Granted, any sequel is unnecessary by definition bar its predecessor ending with a cliffhanger, but Fusion does end on quite an optimistic note. Metroids are gone (again), the Space Pirates are still gone, SR-388 is gone, Zebes is long gone, Samus is in reasonably good cheer, and, yeah. That seems like a good place to leave an overall story to me. Granted, if a sequel to Fusion was announced I'd be excited, but I feel Nintendo might have the right idea with the series so far. It hasn't done anything to undermine the ending of Fusion in the way some sequels undermine their predecessors, but we're still getting Metroid games regardless.
I don't know, I'd argue Fusion ends on a note that is optimistic yet simultaneously foreboding. It's optimistic because all previously established threats are dealt with, likely permanently at long last. At the same time, there's also a noticeable foreboding as the Galactic Federation that had, up til then been the good guys hiring Samus in most games, are revealed to actually not be so good afterall. Not outright evil, but definitely tainted by corruption and self-interest with the clear potential to become a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. As much as people may hate the characterization in the game, Other M's actual plot only further corroborates this, as everything that happens in that game is ENTIRELY the result of some extremely sleazy shit the G Fed was up to, sleazy shit that would have been swept under the rug in the end had Anthony not caught them off guard by surviving. And seeing as Fusion is post-Other M, even with some of their wrongdoings exposed, the corruption clearly hasn't yet been dealt with. So I would argue Fusion very-much still has a sequel hook built into it that could be worked from.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
I sure fucking hope this is true, cause Federation Force was a piece of shit, I returned it to Gamestop for a full refund, which is the first time i've ever done that with a game I bought new(I also did it to Colonial Marines, a game I actually enjoyed, but I went for a full refund since that way I would get more then if I just traded it in).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gizen said:
I don't know, I'd argue Fusion ends on a note that is optimistic yet simultaneously foreboding. It's optimistic because all previously established threats are dealt with, likely permanently at long last. At the same time, there's also a noticeable foreboding as the Galactic Federation that had, up til then been the good guys hiring Samus in most games, are revealed to actually not be so good afterall. Not outright evil, but definitely tainted by corruption and self-interest with the clear potential to become a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. As much as people may hate the characterization in the game, Other M's actual plot only further corroborates this, as everything that happens in that game is ENTIRELY the result of some extremely sleazy shit the G Fed was up to, sleazy shit that would have been swept under the rug in the end had Anthony not caught them off guard by surviving. And seeing as Fusion is post-Other M, even with some of their wrongdoings exposed, the corruption clearly hasn't yet been dealt with. So I would argue Fusion very-much still has a sequel hook built into it that could be worked from.
I'm not averse to that line of thought, but it isn't a guarantee per se. Elements of the Federation could be labeled as corrupt, but it's just as valid to see them as being mis-informed, believing they can control the X parasite. Other M does go down the 'black ops' angle, so to speak, but does seem to reaffirm that the Federation as a whole can be relied upon.

There's also the issue that I'm not sure how you'd merge traditional Metroid gameplay into a scenario where the Federation is the enemy. It doesn't help that the Federation seems to be a 'humans only club' (whereas the original manual showed multiple races), so that raises the issue of enemy variety, and whether Nintendo would run with it (granted, Metroid is one of their darker franchises). But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that blowing up Earth or Daiban isn't going to roll as well as Zebes or SR-388.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Aiddon said:
From what I understand Sakamoto has said the reason they haven't done anything post-Fusion is because he's stumped for a hook. And it's not hard to see why considering how Fusion ended. He probably could do a new game, but it would require some drastic shifting as they can't just have Samus coming back like nothing happened.
If he can't find a plot hook to continue the Metroid franchise, he's a bigger dumbass than I thought. After Other M and Fusion, there's clearly a faction in the Federation that's openly evil. That writes itself! Start the Federation civil war, have the infighting be so bad that they can't defend against the Space Pirates, they can't even call in Samus Aran now, have the whole Federation fall apart, build a Death Star. Something, anything.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Hawki said:
Gizen said:
I'm not averse to that line of thought, but it isn't a guarantee per se. Elements of the Federation could be labeled as corrupt, but it's just as valid to see them as being mis-informed, believing they can control the X parasite. Other M does go down the 'black ops' angle, so to speak, but does seem to reaffirm that the Federation as a whole can be relied upon.

There's also the issue that I'm not sure how you'd merge traditional Metroid gameplay into a scenario where the Federation is the enemy. It doesn't help that the Federation seems to be a 'humans only club' (whereas the original manual showed multiple races), so that raises the issue of enemy variety, and whether Nintendo would run with it (granted, Metroid is one of their darker franchises). But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that blowing up Earth or Daiban isn't going to roll as well as Zebes or SR-388.
They were also trying to breed Metroids in Fusion for a second time as well, after having seen how it has worked out for themselves and the space pirates previous times. Also they had Ridley and Nightmare's bodies on the ship, but that is slightly more justified as we don't actually know what research they were doing with them and the X cloning them was an accident. But mainly the second hidden attempt to breed Metroids tends to point to corruption or a rogue section in the Galatic Fed as they aren't mis-informed of the danger of a species they had previously ordered to be made extinct because of their threat.