Metroidvania with classes

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Rocket Girl said:
Danny Dowling said:
Rocket Girl said:
Shocksplicer said:
You're basically describing Rogue Legacy, except that it's also a roguelike, and your choice of class is from a randomly selected pool. I recommend it.
I really enjoyed Rogue Legacy, but found the difficulty ungainly; there's an unlock system that carries over from previous runs, but your character doesn't and how powerful a character you get depends on chance. So I ended up with some runs being very easy and others being basically pointless at my skill level.
They designed it so that you had to re-run a lot.

The thing with Rogue Legacy really is to plan ahead. A lot. At first it's just about exploring the castle and staying away from the other 3 areas, then after a while you're strong enough to beat the eye. Then your runs are about beating the castle, then the forest, again until you can beat the boss of that section and you just keep going through and going through accumulating money to spend and getting all the runes until a character class you like comes along that is suitable for beating the boss you're currently on.

Also later you get a skill to re-roll your heir, so if you get stuck with all those crappy spellcasters you can re-roll them away.
I just find it something of a detractor from the game that some runs are brutally difficult and amount to little more than trying to survive and gather enough money to make your next run go better with hopefully a better class. I think a more tradtional roguelike where it's a completely fresh run every time, or where you keep your character and the levels change, would have been better. The mixture they went for with RL, while fun for the most part, left it feeling disjointed and sloppy at times.
I found that learning the classes made the game more interesting (although yeah some of the classes do just seem to be weak as hell). But it was always promoted as a RogueLite meaning that every playthrough wasn't fresh and I liked that about the game. Also the option to replay the say layout again was cool

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Rocket Girl said:
Danny Dowling said:
Rocket Girl said:
Danny Dowling said:
Rocket Girl said:
Shocksplicer said:
You're basically describing Rogue Legacy, except that it's also a roguelike, and your choice of class is from a randomly selected pool. I recommend it.
I really enjoyed Rogue Legacy, but found the difficulty ungainly; there's an unlock system that carries over from previous runs, but your character doesn't and how powerful a character you get depends on chance. So I ended up with some runs being very easy and others being basically pointless at my skill level.
They designed it so that you had to re-run a lot.

The thing with Rogue Legacy really is to plan ahead. A lot. At first it's just about exploring the castle and staying away from the other 3 areas, then after a while you're strong enough to beat the eye. Then your runs are about beating the castle, then the forest, again until you can beat the boss of that section and you just keep going through and going through accumulating money to spend and getting all the runes until a character class you like comes along that is suitable for beating the boss you're currently on.

Also later you get a skill to re-roll your heir, so if you get stuck with all those crappy spellcasters you can re-roll them away.
I just find it something of a detractor from the game that some runs are brutally difficult and amount to little more than trying to survive and gather enough money to make your next run go better with hopefully a better class. I think a more tradtional roguelike where it's a completely fresh run every time, or where you keep your character and the levels change, would have been better. The mixture they went for with RL, while fun for the most part, left it feeling disjointed and sloppy at times.
I found that learning the classes made the game more interesting (although yeah some of the classes do just seem to be weak as hell). But it was always promoted as a RogueLite meaning that every playthrough wasn't fresh and I liked that about the game. Also the option to replay the say layout again was cool
See, I was totally different: I didn't like learning the classes at all, because I'm boring and only liked one or two.

I should reinstall that game...
Well yeah the Barbarian and Paladin were the obvious go-to characters (I rekt the blob boss with a Barbarian on perma-roids always causing knock back it was intense) but when you smash it with the Ninja and Hokage it was cool. And the moment you realise the Lich is actually pretty sick if you build him up is good too.