Mewtwo DLC is "Pretty Much Done", Release Imminent

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mewtwo DLC is "Pretty Much Done", Release Imminent

Game director Masahiro Sakurai assures fans that Mewtwo will not be delayed.

The last we heard of Super Smash Bros. upcoming "free" Mewtwo DLC was eventhubs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138196-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-to-receive-Mewtwo-DLC-and-more] Sakurai has confirmed that the character is "pretty much done," and fans should expect a release in the not so distant future.

"So with regards to my announcement-ish announcement, it isn't anything to do with something new I'm working on; it's nothing like that," Sakurai said. "Rather, it's about the release of the Mewotwo DLC character, which we may have made the fans quite worried about. With regards to that, the character is coming along just fine. In fact, it's pretty much done."

"We'll be releasing it within the period that we intended for, so until the announcement for that is here, please look forward to it," he added.

Nintendo has been pretty tight-lipped on DLC characters for Super Smash Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20smash%20bros?os=super+smash+bros], with rumors circulating that Mewtwo will not be the only post-launch character.

Currently, the only way to obtain Mewtwo is to have registered both the Wii U and 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. to your Club Nintendo account. There's no word on whether he will be made a paid download at any point in the future, for those Mewtwo fans who only own one Nintendo system.

Source: Eventhubs [http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/mar/21/sakurai-mewtwo-dlc-release-will-not-be-delayed-its-pretty-much-done-we-plan-release-super-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-character-very-soon/]

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Mfw I bought both versions, registered the codes, then screwed over my account by doing the wii mini trick for the majora's bag, losing my shot at early Mewtwo dlc.

Mfw I have no face

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
And then there's us Europe peasants who don't have the Club Nintendo thing going for us, so even though some of us (myself included) bought both versions we're probably going to have to pay extra for the character anyway... Yaaaay...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Sweet, I want to get the game but I do not have a Wii U or 3DS though I hope to change that in the future.

Redlin5 said:
Yay, more Pokemon? :D
Of course! You cannot tell me you do not want to give that purple tummy a rub. XD

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"And then after this, the Miiverse stage and online tournament mode are finally released to the public, I will go to sleep... a long slumber for the first time 3 years, never to awaken until my services are once again needed."

I dunno why game news outlets keeps omitting this part from the interview.

-----------

But seriously, Saku... you look awful. Try to chill for a bit after this, will ya?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Urgh76 said:
Mfw I bought both versions, registered the codes, then screwed over my account by doing the wii mini trick for the majora's bag, losing my shot at early Mewtwo dlc.

Mfw I have no face
Wii Mini trick?

OT: I hope Mew two plays well and is fun I dont want a thrown together dlc char who feels like a clone D:

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I got both the 3DS and the WiiU versions, so I'm ready.

One question, though: are they going to also include a patch with this? Because I would enjoy for some more balancing of the characters, and not have to get whooped by anyone playing Diddy Kong.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Redlin5 said:
[sup][sup]He wasn't even that good a character in Melee...[/sup][/sup]

*shrug*

Well... Don't know if you count this. (A lot of people don't seem to.) But Mewtwo in Project M was pretty darn beastly.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Veldie said:
Urgh76 said:

Mfw I have no face
Wii Mini trick?

OT: I hope Mew two plays well and is fun I dont want a thrown together dlc char who feels like a clone D:
Well we cannot do it anymore but basically Nintendo was stupid with Wii Mini serial numbers.

You could literally enter any number between HW000000000 and HW999999999 and it would have given you 100 coins. People abused it because it could have been done up to 8 times on one account. Now Wii Minis can no longer be registered.

Personally I would have loved to get this. I crave the poster sets and I only got 475 coins... :'(

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
I hear a fair amount of people, online and off, saying that Mewtwo is going to be terrible, because they were terrible in melee.

Completely ignoring just how many characters got immense buffs in Smash 4. If there was a character that was going to get buffed, it would be Mewtwo.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Why is no-one talking about the disgusting dlc practice this looks like of having to buy the same game twice for one extra character.

They better announce him for a standalone dlc soon otherwise I'm calling bullshit.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
Why is no-one talking about the disgusting dlc practice this looks like of having to buy the same game twice for one extra character.

They better announce him for a standalone dlc soon otherwise I'm calling bullshit.
That's my feeling on this, too. I didn't like the 3DS demo[footnote]Mostly, because I was playing a fighting game on a giant 3DS XL. Also, the circle pad sucks for SMASH and for some reason the d-pad can't be used.[/footnote] and do not want to essentially buy a single dlc character for $40. That's where Sony has the upper hand with its cross buy program.

It really would have been a better deal to register your Smash Wii U Club Nintendo code and got Smash 3DS for free or at a 50-75% discount. Then Nintendo could just release DLC characters. Then again, that would not get people to buy two games.

Hopefully for the Mewtwo fans, Nintendo will see the untapped money wells that are those without both copies of Smash, but still are willing to pay for a single extra character.
Redlin5 said:
[sup][sup]He wasn't even that good a character in Melee...[/sup][/sup]

*shrug*

How many representatives from Pokemon has there been now? I'd rather see other series get more characters *cough*Ridley*cough* in the next Smash, but, if they must do another one from the Pokemon franchise, I want to see that one buff (Well, that was the word used.) Nurse Joy from the anime that could row a boat faster than a speedboat. I want to see her air juggling DK and Bowser.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Dark Knifer said:

I am not entirely defending how they have dealt with the mew two dlc. A better option would have been to have made it and released it earlier for owners of both games and then announced a date to pay for it for everyone else so everyone knew when they could get Mew Two but I wanted to also point out that they are not the same game. The 3ds version features almost entirely different stages that are focussed on hand held game as opposed to the console ones. It also had the Smash Run game mode which the console did not feature and streetpass support. You may not agree there is enough there to buy both but you can't say it is essentially the same game because you are at least getting double the stages and a few extra things to do with smash run and street pass.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Solo-Wing said:
Veldie said:
Urgh76 said:

Mfw I have no face
Wii Mini trick?

Well we cannot do it anymore but basically Nintendo was stupid with Wii Mini serial numbers.

You could literally enter any number between HW000000000 and HW999999999 and it would have given you 100 coins. People abused it because it could have been done up to 8 times on one account. Now Wii Minis can no longer be registered.

Personally I would have loved to get this. I crave the poster sets and I only got 475 coins... :'(
I'm so sad now I wanted that bag but like 200 coins off...

I'm holding off on spending til last moment.

Do you know if there's going to be any platinum reward this year atleast I got it for first time.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Dark Knifer said:

As I understand they did already state that it would be purchasable separately.
But clearly neither I, nor the guy who wrote this article, is willing to put in any effort to search for any evidence of that. So it's purely up to you if you believe that or not.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Veldie said:
Solo-Wing said:
Veldie said:
Urgh76 said:

Mfw I have no face
Wii Mini trick?

I'm so sad now I wanted that bag but like 200 coins off...

I'm holding off on spending til last moment.

Do you know if there's going to be any platinum reward this year atleast I got it for first time.
All the prizes should've been 200 coins lower in the first place.

Yeah there'll be rewards this year but it's just digital downloads this year.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Maze1125 said:
As far as I've found I haven't seen any nintendo sources on this that confirm this. If someone else has a source or something that would be cool.
Akiraking said:
I agree that they are different but what is happening is both games are being denied content by each other. Both individual games would benefit from this content but you have to have both, which is quite an investment for two games sharing the same title. Two consoles for one piece of dlc seems far too extreme to me. But then again, they have been doing something similar for pokemon for a long time now so its not that surprising.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Dark Knifer said:
Maze1125 said:
As far as I've found I haven't seen any nintendo sources on this that confirm this. If someone else has a source or something that would be cool.
As far as my searching can tell, it's just speculation. But to be honest, I can't imagine them not doing it, they could make a bit of money off it. Would be pretty silly not to, there just might be a delay or something. I have both, so I'll be getting it, but I hope my friends who get only one will have a way to get him.