MGS Creator Says "Next Level" Of Gaming Not Possible With Current Technology

r0manz

Jul 17, 2008
He's right, for games like Halo without almost no backstory unless you read the books..
But if he adds one more cutscene to a game >.>, xD

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Long post
I agree with you El Arab. Developers are already doing that, and that's what I'd wish they continue with.

What I'm trying to say is that the things Kojima is saying is not what I agree with. I'd rather, like a few others have stated, a developer work on story and gameplay then work on Kojima's ideas. I think it's a waste of resources, and shouldn't be the main aim of the developer, or really an aim, just in the back of the dev team's head.

In my opinion, if a game has a truely captivating cast of characters, a story that is damn interesting, and gameplay that is easy-to-use and, most of all, fun, then I'd rather play in that than if the leaves in the background moved in realistically.

I'm not saying that Kojima's an idiot. Just saying that Kojima and I differ on this issue, and well, what's life without differences?

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Being able to "water the leaves" is technically feasible with current hardware, it's just a drag to code with current industry-standard programming tools.

The thing is, "watering the leaves" doesn't come without cost. An environment where you can mess with anything is an environment where most of your actions will not serve any kind of larger purpose. If, like Half-Life 2 or MGS 4, your game is a kind of rollercoaster -- a set of narrative rails with a bunch of improbable twists and turns, -- then packing that closed, linear world with "leaves" is going to turn it into a harrowing slog, reducing the gameplay to searching for that one seesaw puzzle buried amongst a hundred other interactive objects that don't meaningfully move you anywhere.

-- Alex

Mr. Bubbles

Sep 27, 2007
Alex_P said:
Being able to "water the leaves" is technically feasible with current hardware, it's just a drag to code with current industry-standard programming tools.

The thing is, "watering the leaves" doesn't come without cost. An environment where you can mess with anything is an environment where most of your actions will not serve any kind of larger purpose. If, like Half-Life 2 or MGS 4, your game is a kind of rollercoaster -- a set of narrative rails with a bunch of improbable twists and turns, -- then packing that closed, linear world with "leaves" is going to turn it into a harrowing slog, reducing the gameplay to searching for that one seesaw puzzle buried amongst a hundred other interactive objects that don't meaningfully move you anywhere.

-- Alex
Or add to the amount of possible ways to get from point A to B. Creative problem solving was what made Portal, for example, fun to me. I can't see the problem with adding things to do and ways to do them, even if they are ultimately pointless. The pointless stuff is usually what I remember the longest anyway.

Feb 13, 2008
Mr. Bubbles said:
Creative problem solving was what made Portal, for example, fun to me. I can't see the problem with adding things to do and ways to do them, even if they are ultimately pointless. The pointless stuff is usually what I remember the longest anyway.
If you listen to the Developer Commentary on Portal (Which is fascinating I found), then you will hear there's a number of times where the levels were re-designed so as to slow the players down because they WEREN'T thinking. (The 'look up' moment).

The real problem with 'fluff' is that it takes up a lot more programming time and testing time. Proper 'fluff', like Milla's hidden room in Psychonauts (How many people have actually found that one? It tells you something about her childhood) is often missed, and is ignored in the overall rating of the game; whilst Gordon's Stashes are very deliberate.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I wish that they'd finish making the games before they're released. No more of this bug-patching monotony. How hard can it be to just play through the game once and fix the bugs before you put it on the shelves?

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Mr. Bubbles said:
Or add to the amount of possible ways to get from point A to B. Creative problem solving was what made Portal, for example, fun to me. I can't see the problem with adding things to do and ways to do them, even if they are ultimately pointless. The pointless stuff is usually what I remember the longest anyway.
Portal is minimalist by video-game standards. In their commentary, the devs talk about trying very hard to streamline and de-clutter the game. Very little in that game is there "just because." All the "creative problem solving" is really the result of just a few different elements interacting. (And, let's be honest here: most of the game is carefully set up to guide you towards a solution.)

Nothing's stopping Kojima or anyone else from making an open-ended game with flexible solutions right now, with this "generation's" technology -- or last "generation's" technology, for that matter. The thing is, he doesn't want to. His particular formula is pretty linear, heavy on painstakingly handcrafted plot rather than emergent interaction.

-- Alex

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think Kojima is close, but I'm more inclined to believe that the next level of gaming technology isn't possible with current technology. Whether or not that will also represent the next level of gaming remains to be seen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jeez, what's with all the puns about how fun it is to grow leaves? It's called an example, if you can think of a better one than that go ahead and tell us.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
This has been done before. In ASCII. By a single programmer. www.bay12games.com

And how exactly is "wave the stick in a preset pattern to activate a preset pattern ingame" more advanced then "push a preset button to activate a preset pattern ingame"? It's more complicated but that's not innovation.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Malygris said:
"The next level will be when we start improving the backgrounds, the things you don't instantly see but enhance the experience," he continued. "For example, there are leaves in the background and when you water them they grow. Instead of the backgrounds being pre-programmed, they actually respond to what a player does."
He needs not worry, we've got Peter Molyneux for that!

... until he needs to retract his words a few months after shouting it out.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
I think our brains are going to mush once games get to simple. Heres and example http://g4tv.com/videos/47758/Limbo-Review/

Holyeskimo

Jul 14, 2010
Wait shouldn't the next level of gaming be those headset's for virtual reality? I mean if they can pull that off then i have a feeling immersion wouldn't be a problem.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
"...Leading to the most recent release, Metal Gear Solid 4-"

Wait, how old is this?!

"22 July 2008"