MGS Rising Levels 3rd-Party Playing Field, Says Microsoft

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
D_987 said:
Mornelithe said:
@ NoMoreSanity - Yes, but you still missed quite a few. Just throwing the names out there, considering GT5 will do as good, and probably better than GoW3.
Yes, but Forza 3 is an Xbox exclusive - I think NoMoreSanity was referring to games that are in some way different from their peers.
That may be, but that's not what he said, and GoW certainly doesn't represent the system driver for Sony. Hell, even GT5 prologue has sold more copies than GoW2 did. But, it wasn't really meant in derogatory fashion or anything. Was just sharing some knowledge about upcoming games.

Morne
Isn't GT5 prologue a cheaper game? Just sayin it is hard to say "well this sold better than that" when one is alot cheaper than the other.

olicon

May 8, 2008
PS3 WILL always have exclusive, since Sony has its own in-house developers.

Exclusive content is just what it means--it's exclusive to a certain format. If the DLC is exclusive, then it is--but that doesn't mean the game itself is exclusive. MS is just playing with our heads here. But whatever--as long as they keep churning out good games, I don't care what console it ends up on. I'll either play it on mine, or at my friend's place.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
Mornelithe said:
D_987 said:
Mornelithe said:
@ NoMoreSanity - Yes, but you still missed quite a few. Just throwing the names out there, considering GT5 will do as good, and probably better than GoW3.
Yes, but Forza 3 is an Xbox exclusive - I think NoMoreSanity was referring to games that are in some way different from their peers.
That may be, but that's not what he said, and GoW certainly doesn't represent the system driver for Sony. Hell, even GT5 prologue has sold more copies than GoW2 did. But, it wasn't really meant in derogatory fashion or anything. Was just sharing some knowledge about upcoming games.

Morne
Isn't GT5 prologue a cheaper game? Just sayin it is hard to say "well this sold better than that" when one is alot cheaper than the other.
Well, as far as PS3 games go, yes, it is cheaper $40, however, 2 things to mention on that. PS2 games had dropped in price at that point, to much much lower levels than PS3 games, even brand new titles. And the other is GoW2 launched 6 or 7 months before GT5P, so I mean, it does kind of prove some points, especially given the PS2's install base being in the 120 million range, at the time versus the PS3's uh...like 6-10 million?

Morne
Good point. I was a PS2 fanboy. Had one forever. The thing is when the 360 launched and the PS3 was announced I began to lose interest in the PS2 because there was new shinies being dangled in front of my eyes. If GOW 2 had come out a year before it launched I think it would have been far more successful. Although eve nas you stated yourself the PS2 already had 120 million consoles in people's homes the whole driving force had already been done

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
If they buy exclusive DLC, then just know I called it.

Oh, and they're greedy pigs. Might as well say that. It's par for the course.

Though I'm surprised anyone still cares about Metal gear anymore.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I'm really not sure what the rep is talking about, exclusives are well and healthy the last time I checked and no definition change is necessary. If you say Xbox live is exclusive you might aswell say that the PSN is exclusive...it makes no sense at all.

Both PS3 and 360 are getting quite a lot of system-only games (though you might debate the validity of the whole exclusive deal if it also comes to the PC).

The time of exclusives is over? MAG, MGS 5(search your feelings, you know it to be true), Heavy Rain, Last Guardian and GT would like to have a talk with you.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
THe flames of war have not yet erupted? Amazing.

Therefore, let me slip in my two cents: while this is a strong addition to the 360's 3rd party developers, we don't know if this relationship will take. Therfore, I have cautious optimism.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
Mornelithe said:
It boils down to 1st party developement, and Sony has vastly more in-house devs than MS and Nintendo, hell, combined and I still think they have more.
Microsoft's in-house developers include:

BigPark
Lionhead
Rare
Spawnpoint
Turn 10
Xbox Live Productions
Wingnut Interactive
Microsoft Game Studios

Sony's:

Sony Computer Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment
Clap Hanz
Polyphony
Naughty Dog
Sony Bend
Incognito
Zipper
Guerrilla
Evolution
Bigbig

Nintendo's:

Brownie Brown
Intelligent Systems
Monolith Soft
Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Nintendo Software Planning and Development
Project Sora
Retro Studios

If I'm wrong about anything blame Wikipedia.
Wikipedia doesn't have the most reliable or complete of all data.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Clap Hanz ? Hot Shots Golf series
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo series, Motor Toon Grand Prix series, Omega Boost
SCE Japan Studio - Project Siren Team, etc, Ape Escape series, LocoRoco
Team ICO ? ICO, Shadow of the Colossus

SCEI Subsidiary Divisions
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Incognito Entertainment ? Twisted Metal series, Warhawk
Naughty Dog ? Jak series, Uncharted Drake?s Fortune
SCE Bend Studio (formerly Eidetic) ? Syphon Filter series
SCE Foster City Studio ? Jet Li: Rise to Honor
SCE San Diego Studio ? The Mark of Kri, NBA ?07, MLB The Show 08
SCE Santa Monica Studio ? God of War, Kinetica
Sony Online Entertainment LLC. ? EverQuest
Sucker Punch Productions - Sly Cooper series, Infamous
Zipper Interactive ? SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.

Bigbig Studios ? Pursuit Force
Evolution Studios ? MotorStorm
Guerrilla Games ? Killzone series
SCE London Studio (includes Team SOHO & Camden) ? The Getaway series, SingStar series
SCE Studio Cambridge (formerly Millennium Interactive) ? MediEvil series, Primal
SCE Studio Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis) ? Wipeout series, F1 series
Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc.

SCE Korea ? EyeToy: EduKids, GloRace: Phantastic Carnival

And Quantic Dream, Red Zone...

Morne
I wasn't including the various SCE studios as distinct developers, though I guess in that spirit I shouldn't include Nintendo Software Technology Corporation or Nintendo Software Planning and Development as distinct Nintendo-owned studios. But Nintendo does have numerous second-party developers (that would be independent developers under contract with Nintendo).

AlphaDream
Ambrella
Camelot Software Planning
Game Freak
Genius Sonority
HAL Laboratory
NDCUBE
Noise
Paon
skip Ltd.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have 2nd-party developers though both have a number of "loyal" 3rd-party developers.