MGSV and Children. Spoilers ahead.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I love the frog units. They're prolly some of the best dressed soldiers I've seen, and I'd pay to play as one.

Seeing blondie lord of the flies get his ass whipped here, and there is oddly satisfying... not that I condone violence against children... I just find it hilarious. But i won't do more spoilers.
The rest of the kids add to the plot. And you can eventually fulton them.
they don't get killed coz they seem to be more interesting than most others.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zetatrain said:
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:
Well its not like you actually kill him so that isn't really an indication of Konami's stance on shooting children.
nomotog said:
That choice wouldn't be hard in MGSV. The game has a lot of very good nonlethal weapons. You lose very little weapon wise when you go no lethal, so the choice is also broken from that angel.

The big one was how the child solders were commanded by children. It should be hard to guess that no that is now how it works in real life.
Well the children were originally commanded by adults. Then a certain disease killed them and children had no commander until Eli came along. It not like it was trying to portray child soldiers led by children as the norm.
They show up in other mission under their own command. Children lead by children are the only way they portray them so ya they are showing it as the norm. We know why they did it that way. It's way more cleaner that way. If you had a more realistic mixed target environment, then it would be a lot harder.
You see child soldiers being trained and led by adults in the first Africa mission. While the game definable skimps on showing the realistic portrayal of child soldiers the game doesn't try to imply child solders leading other child soldiers is the norm in reality.
Gameplay speaks louder then words and the only time you will actually encounter child soldiers are in this simplified lord of the flies setup.

The child soldiers are only one aspect though. The whole conflict is really clean to what it actually would be.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:
You see child soldiers being trained and led by adults in the first Africa mission. While the game definable skimps on showing the realistic portrayal of child soldiers the game doesn't try to imply child solders leading other child soldiers is the norm in reality.
Gameplay speaks louder then words and the only time you will actually encounter child soldiers are in this simplified lord of the flies setup.

And there is no conflict between the two. The mission briefings give you reasons why these kids are running around without adults and makes it clear they are the exception not the norm in relation to setting. And like I said you can encounter child soldiers being led by adults in the first mission.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zetatrain said:
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:

And there is no conflict between the two. The mission briefings give you reasons why these kids are running around without adults and makes it clear they are the exception not the norm in relation to setting. And like I said you can encounter child soldiers being led by adults in the first mission.
The dialogue says this is the exception to the norm, but the actual game tells us this is the norm. The game double talks. Not that uncommon for a game to say one thing and do another. In this case I do put more weight on the gamplay then the talk.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:
Well its not like you actually kill him so that isn't really an indication of Konami's stance on shooting children.
nomotog said:
That choice wouldn't be hard in MGSV. The game has a lot of very good nonlethal weapons. You lose very little weapon wise when you go no lethal, so the choice is also broken from that angel.

The big one was how the child solders were commanded by children. It should be hard to guess that no that is now how it works in real life.
Well the children were originally commanded by adults. Then a certain disease killed them and children had no commander until Eli came along. It not like it was trying to portray child soldiers led by children as the norm.
They show up in other mission under their own command. Children lead by children are the only way they portray them so ya they are showing it as the norm. We know why they did it that way. It's way more cleaner that way. If you had a more realistic mixed target environment, then it would be a lot harder.

The child soldiers are only one aspect though. The whole conflict is really clean to what it actually would be.
That's actually a pretty strange thing bout this MGS. See, I found it wierd how in Afghanistan you only saw the Soviet's and never caught sight of the Mujaheddin.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
BarryMcCociner said:
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:
nomotog said:
Zetatrain said:
nomotog said:

That's actually a pretty strange thing bout this MGS. See, I found it wierd how in Afghanistan you only saw the Soviet's and never caught sight of the Mujaheddin.
That was another thing too. They are mentioned, but you never actually get to see them, or even the the things that they do. You end up getting the impression that you would get if you watched the war on TV, but your in the war. It's just odd.