Michael Bay Confirms Transformers 5, Because $$$$$

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
I would say something but...

I'd do the same s*** if I could pocket the mountains of money he does.

If people want to pay for crap then serve them crap.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
MrFalconfly said:
Well I like them.

All of them.

They're brainless entertainment for when I just want to relax with a coke in one hand and a bag of chips in the other.

To prove my point, I described TF4 to my sister as "Optimus Prime, riding a robo T-Rex, brandishing a sword". She was sceptical at first, but after having seen it (with the mindset of it just being "dumb action") we loved it. It's fun, it's stupid, and it reminds us of what can be done when you're 7 years old, and don't have to keep "logic" in mind.
I'm usually all about that, expendables is great to me 'cos it is just that mindless shit but by fuck do these films lack even that quality.

I've seen all these films, when I want to watch a film and can't find anything they are a last resort (never seen one more than once though). In all honesty I have zero clue which film is which any any other moments besides the transformers trying to hide from the kids parents, optimus riding a dino and some transformer climbing a pyramid ... 4 films and that is the sum total of what I remember of those films.

I've also seen the TMNT film and it's exactly the same as transformers but re-skinned to turtles.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Oh please tell me we will get more 1 dimensional characters and racial stereotypes please? And explosions... tooooons of explosions... and the US army owning everything and everybody! Yes thats allways a crowd pleaser if the US army blowsshit up in a michael bay movie...

"Cause this game is ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING MONEY!"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JaredJones said:
Seriously though, as someone who has both never seen a Transformers movie start to finish and yet talks about them like they're the death of filmmaking, I say power to him. His movies *are* a source of enjoyment for millions of people, for better or for worse, in the same way that many (some) of us still consider Adam Sandler funny. As long as he keeps making more money than entire economies with each successive entry, who are we to tell him when enough is enough?
Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good for the medium. Ever see that fun little movie called Idiocracy? It's a funny and terrifying look at a future brought upon us by the utter dumbing down of society.

Going with "Well Bay's making money and entertaining millions of people so lets just let him keep doing what he's doing" is the kind of thing that will inevitably lead to someone getting to say the following line from that Idiocracy in our lifetime:

"The Number 1 movie in America was called Ass. And that's all it was...for 90 minutes. It won 8 Oscars that year, including Best Screenplay."

Personally I'd prefer my movies to not just be 90 minutes of someone's bare ass occasionally cutting loose a fart.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Karadalis said:
Oh please tell me we will get more 1 dimensional characters and racial stereotypes please? And explosions... tooooons of explosions... and the US army owning everything and everybody! Yes thats allways a crowd pleaser if the US army blowsshit up in a michael bay movie...

"Cause this game is ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING MONEY!"
I wonder that since he has the backing of the U.S military, that they in turn quietly "suggest" that their troops go and see the movie. I wonder how well one Bay's movies would do if it wasn't backed by the Army?

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
RJ 17 said:
JaredJones said:
Seriously though, as someone who has both never seen a Transformers movie start to finish and yet talks about them like they're the death of filmmaking, I say power to him. His movies *are* a source of enjoyment for millions of people, for better or for worse, in the same way that many (some) of us still consider Adam Sandler funny. As long as he keeps making more money than entire economies with each successive entry, who are we to tell him when enough is enough?
Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good for the medium. Ever see that fun little movie called Idiocracy? It's a funny and terrifying look at a future brought upon us by the utter dumbing down of society.

Going with "Well Bay's making money and entertaining millions of people so lets just let him keep doing what he's doing" is the kind of thing that will inevitably lead to someone getting to say the following line from that Idiocracy in our lifetime:

"The Number 1 movie in America was called Ass. And that's all it was...for 90 minutes. It won 8 Oscars that year, including Best Screenplay."

Personally I'd prefer my movies to not just be 90 minutes of someone's bare ass occasionally cutting loose a fart.
Oh I agree with you 100% (and love Idiocracy), but I've also become aware that complaining about Bay's particular brand of schlock cinema is going to do little in the way of changing things. At the end of the day, why waste the mental energy, you know what I mean? That's vitriol that could be devoted to the campaign of Donald Trump.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JaredJones said:
Oh I agree with you 100% (and love Idiocracy), but I've also become aware that complaining about Bay's particular brand of schlock cinema is going to do little in the way of changing things. At the end of the day, why waste the mental energy, you know what I mean? That's vitriol that could be devoted to the campaign of Donald Trump.
You clearly have a profound underestimation of how much vitriol I have bottled up inside me...there's more than enough to spread between both Bay - for sodomizing moviegoer's braincells with the Transformers movies while pissing all over their childhood with giant green gorillas that he's calling turtles - and Trump for...well...doing everything he's ever done, really.

It's simple, really. You just have to do as the Emperor instructed and let the hate flow through you. :p

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
omega 616 said:
MrFalconfly said:
Well I like them.

All of them.

They're brainless entertainment for when I just want to relax with a coke in one hand and a bag of chips in the other.

To prove my point, I described TF4 to my sister as "Optimus Prime, riding a robo T-Rex, brandishing a sword". She was sceptical at first, but after having seen it (with the mindset of it just being "dumb action") we loved it. It's fun, it's stupid, and it reminds us of what can be done when you're 7 years old, and don't have to keep "logic" in mind.
I'm usually all about that, expendables is great to me 'cos it is just that mindless shit but by fuck do these films lack even that quality.

I've seen all these films, when I want to watch a film and can't find anything they are a last resort (never seen one more than once though). In all honesty I have zero clue which film is which any any other moments besides the transformers trying to hide from the kids parents, optimus riding a dino and some transformer climbing a pyramid ... 4 films and that is the sum total of what I remember of those films.

I've also seen the TMNT film and it's exactly the same as transformers but re-skinned to turtles.
Who says you have to remember it for it to be fun in the moment?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it alright if I can say that 1 and 3 are the only "good" movies out of the bunch so far?

I especially liked the final act of T3.
I was going to say that none of them were good, except I notice now that you have quotation marks around good, suggesting you mean it in a particular sense that requires a bit of explaining to be true. Yeah, I guess you can say that then.

But honestly, why is Bay "the only one who can do it?" Any director could do it, and just about any other director could do it *better.*

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RJ Dalton said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it alright if I can say that 1 and 3 are the only "good" movies out of the bunch so far?

I especially liked the final act of T3.
I was going to say that none of them were good, except I notice now that you have quotation marks around good, suggesting you mean it in a particular sense that requires a bit of explaining to be true. Yeah, I guess you can say that then.

But honestly, why is Bay "the only one who can do it?" Any director could do it, and just about any other director could do it *better.*
The only good and I mean REALLY good Transformers thing was the Beast Wars Cartoon.

That show had BALLS and IT HAD NO HUMAN CHARACTERS.

80s Gen 1 Transformeers is so cheesy (I say that in a bad way) and dated.

I grew up with the Unicron Trilogy but that show did not aged well.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I thought the first was a decent (although really tropey) film, 4 was kinda enjoyable, the Dinobots were fun and the whole greyness of the business guy was a surprise to see... although that product placement.

Eeeeh, at least these films have nothing to hide, they're kinda shameless. Hey, at least it keeps Bay away for making military films based on real life events, right... right?