Michael Jackson Counters Piracy With Vuvuzela

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
ok now heres the new game challenge buy the game and beat it with no prompts from memorization of the actual game if you buy this from a ebayer in china.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Gamegodtre said:
qbanknight said:
One of the most clever anti-piracy measures I've seen since Batman Arkham Asylum
what happened in that game>?
Batman couldn't jump at certain points if you had a pirated copy:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

It's practically genius in how much it fucked with pirates

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Now, I don't know the mechanics involved here, but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that it is not actually pirates that are being "punished" here, but users of unregistered legitimate copies, in practice forcing paying customers to jump through one of the many hoops that the pirates tend to never have to deal with? The industry just keeps stabbing itself.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
qbanknight said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

To be more accurate, the game shipped with crippling bugs, pirates spotted them, they patched them within 2 hours, that patch was cracked in 2 minutes and then they backpedaled and called it DRM and pretended their hotfix didn't exist.

Get a legal copy and install it somewhere with no internet connection(so no day 0 patch), surprise, you are now considered a pirate! Or better yet, get the DD version for a region where the patch hasn't gotten past the publisher if you really want to experience how fucked up the system is.

Being an asshole to your effective, free QA team when your paid QA team failed miserably at their job is not "genius", it's stupid.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Asehujiko said:
qbanknight said:

To be more accurate, the game shipped with crippling bugs, pirates spotted them, they patched them within 2 hours, that patch was cracked in 2 minutes and then they backpedaled and called it DRM and pretended their hotfix didn't exist.

Get a legal copy and install it somewhere with no internet connection(so no day 0 patch), surprise, you are now considered a pirate! Or better yet, get the DD version for a region where the patch hasn't gotten past the publisher if you really want to experience how fucked up the system is.

Being an asshole to your effective, free QA team when your paid QA team failed miserably at their job is not "genius", it's stupid.
Proof and source please to diprove their statement (other than 'because I said so and it makes sense')

OT,glad to see Ubi doing something right for a change.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
This is such a brutal and inhumane anti-piracy tactic and yet I can't help but encourage other game developers to do the same thing.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dragonborne88 said:
Oh Ubisoft, they have truly found the best method of countering piracy by far.
Yeah, It's just sad that they have to use a drm for the pc version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Mackheath said:
The only way this could me more hilarious was if Michael Jackson spawned a trollface and Rick Rolls occasionally played through the Vuvuzela.
Oh man, I better see this put into affect in the near future! That developer will have my complete respect from then on. Maybe the new Grand Theft Auto will only play Rick Roll through the radio, Vuvuzelas when on foot, and all characters in the game have the Troll Face.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This is pretty awesome... This and the Batman: Arkham Asylum anti-piracy are my favorites.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I'd laugh if this game because the most popular pirated game in South Africa, while the retail version bombed.

One man's annoying drone is another man's traditional cultural music (apparently).

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Asehujiko said:
qbanknight said:

How, exactly, would owning an unpatched copy of a game be piracy?

And my copy of AA on the ps3 didn't ship with any crippling bugs, it worked the whole way through.

OT- Moar plz. Best anti piracy measure in history.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Dragonborne88 said:
Oh Ubisoft, they have truly found the best method of countering piracy by far.
*rubs eyes* Am I reading this correctly? Ubisoft...good anti-piracy measures?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
The best DRM is the creative DRM.

That's why this DRM is awesome! Although I'll never touch the game.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
FloodOne said:
How, exactly, would owning an unpatched copy of a game be piracy?

And my copy of AA on the ps3 didn't ship with any crippling bugs, it worked the whole way through.

OT- Moar plz. Best anti piracy measure in history.
Because the "DRM" has a 100% false positive rate without it and is completely removed with the patch. Fun fact: The DCMA makes it also illegal to download it because technically it's circumventing DRM.

And the reason you didn't notice was because they actually did test their game on consoles.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Hi-Larous!

That sample gave me a good laugh! (But only because it was so short)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Asehujiko said:
qbanknight said:

Shenanigans.

A. The PRERELEASE demo worked fine.
B. How'd every single admin on the tech forums get in on it so fast if this was the case?
C. I've yet to hear (other than you) about the no patch problem.