Michel Ancel Says Beyond Good & Evil 2 is at "Day Zero of Development"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Michel Ancel Says Beyond Good & Evil 2 is at "Day Zero of Development"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1414/1414416.jpgWe saw Beyond Good & Evil 2 at E3 this year, but it could be a long time before we actually get to play it.

After hearing that showing off a cinematic for the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170436-Beyond-Good-Evil-2-Wont-Be-at-E3-2017-Revealed-Later-This-Year]. While the cinematic looked cool, it seemed to be a big change from the tone of the original game, and there was no gameplay footage to show us how it would actually play. It runs out there's a good reason for that, as series creator Michel Ancel says that BG&E2 is still at "day zero of development."

The statement was made in an interview with The Verge [], which featured Ancel saying that, "There's still a lot of work to do, but we now really believe that we're going to make this game."

The team started working on the game three years ago, but before the game could begin, it had to build the tech to support it. After creating what would be best described as a solar simulation tool, work on the game recently began.

"When you don't have this technology, you can't really start the game," Ancel explained. "It's too difficult. But now we can say for sure that we will make this game, we'll finish it. Because we have the technology for it." He said that the game is currently in "day zero of development."

If you read the whole interview, you'll see that even Ancel isn't exactly sure what Beyond Good & Evil 2 will ultimately turn out to be, and that sort of uncertainty means that an actual playable version of this game could still be years away.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
This just in, we sold a game that hasn't got SHIT made. Way to sell smoke and mirrors to an audience.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
In other words, it's as likely to represent the final game as Dead Island's was.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Well, it's Ubisoft. They're just doing their thing with this, rather, it would have been newsworthy if they released a solid game without anticonsumerist bullshit, juvenile skullduggery, utter contempt for their own customers or just stooping to baffling levels of blatant stupidity.

Nice article image BTW, fits well.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
So... don't expect Beyond Good and Evil until the NEXT generation like the last teaser. Seriously, too busy making the next 5 Assassins Creed games to focus on something else.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I knew it! Its another holding the game hostage, where you have to buy other games to prove how much you're willing to play it. They just mocked up a trailer and that's it. No game at all.

Jan 27, 2011
*sees the game melt in his hands and leave chocolate stains*

Me: "...What? ...WHAAAT?!"

Ubisoft: "What what? That's top tier cinematics, gamer!" *Laughs, and then grapple hooks away with my stolen hopes and dreams*

Seriously. Day ZERO?! They don't even have the most basic gameplay done or programmed or anything yet?! And yet they hyped us up with that badass trailer?!

...Ugh...I feel like I just got conned like that pig mafia guy. So basically, there's a half decent chance that the game might not happen still, because of any number of problems, because all they have is the basic tech for it. ;_;

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Ukomba said:
In other words, it's as likely to represent the final game as Dead Island's was.
Or indeed as likely to represent the final product as that other trailer for Beyond Good and Evil 2 was.

What a joke. Basically, nothing whatsoever has changed re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 - it's still vaporware. Ubisoft just decided to release a trailer and stuck the series' name on it to generate some hype.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
I'm calling it now: it will be cancelled early next year once Vivendi completes its hostile takeover of Ubisoft as the game will not be considered profitable enough.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Wait? Didn't they tease this game years ago? What the heck were they doing all this time if there is zero to show for it?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot had this to say: "We here at Ubisoft know that Mr. Ancel is very excited to make this game, but as much as we'd like to allow him, we're still unsure of how profitable it will be after all of these years, so we're basically just making him dance on the same puppet strings that we have all of you consumers on right now." At the look of confusion on the face of the reporter he was speaking with, he added, "Oh, was I not supposed to reveal that?"

Feb 7, 2016
So you made a flashy, rather lengthy cinematic trailer full of characters, possible plot, and locations that you aren't even 100% sure about yet?

"Here's the worlds most pristine and ornate picture frame."
"Neat. Where's the painting?"
"*scoff*, I haven't even bought the paint yet."

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Excited yet? Guess what, we've got nothing. Everything we've said is entirely meaningless vapid bullshit.

Meanwhile, at the Legion of Doom, Yves Guillemot is laughing maniacally at it all.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
*claps* Well I knew something like this was bound to happen but Ubisoft fucks up again. They've done exactly what they did last time, mock up a CGI trailer and then hand wave about the fact they're actually going to do something with it. In other words we'll see another "direction change" in 8-10 years time with another CGI trailer as they plan to release the third game in the series instead of a sequel or prequel alongside a new CGI trailer showing space donkeys being hijacked by a kid and their monkey.

"...creating what would be best described as a solar simulation tool..."
Why just why bother doing that? It's clearly the base for some unruly fuel/power system but who in their right mind thinks that players would, after how the original game was, enjoy messing about with such a thing if they even did bother making such a system? I mean christ almighty, how do they think doing this twice is a good thing?!?

Seriously at this rate it would be faster for some indie team to covertly build a fan version of BG&E2 call it Morality's Sins (or Lies of the Creator for a real burn).

Nathaniel Grey

Dec 18, 2013
ProfMcStevie said:
This just in, we sold a game that hasn't got SHIT made. Way to sell smoke and mirrors to an audience.
EscapeGoat said:
Ukomba said:
Or indeed as likely to represent the final product as that other trailer for Beyond Good and Evil 2 was.

What a joke. Basically, nothing whatsoever has changed re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 - it's still vaporware. Ubisoft just decided to release a trailer and stuck the series' name on it to generate some hype.
Nile McMorrow said:
*claps* Well I knew something like this was bound to happen but Ubisoft fucks up again. They've done exactly what they did last time, mock up a CGI trailer and then hand wave about the fact they're actually going to do something with it. In other words we'll see another "direction change" in 8-10 years time with another CGI trailer as they plan to release the third game in the series instead of a sequel or prequel alongside a new CGI trailer showing space donkeys being hijacked by a kid and their monkey.

"...creating what would be best described as a solar simulation tool..."
Why just why bother doing that? It's clearly the base for some unruly fuel/power system but who in their right mind thinks that players would, after how the original game was, enjoy messing about with such a thing if they even did bother making such a system? I mean christ almighty, how do they think doing this twice is a good thing?!?

Seriously at this rate it would be faster for some indie team to covertly build a fan version of BG&E2 call it Morality's Sins (or Lies of the Creator for a real burn).
It seems most of you didn't see the speech that Michel Ancel gave during the reveal. It is very clear that the team is working hard on this game and was simply happy to share with everyone the fact that they were indeed working on the game. All this negativity (real jerk-like comments) is really unwarranted to a guy who was in tears because of the mere fact he was able to make a sequel/prequel to a game he loved.

In all honesty, fellow escapist members, y'all are a bit up your own asses in this thread.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
So basically what we have been shown is just another teaser without anything bahind it, like the ones we have been fed over the previous 15 years? Basically, no progress at all?

littlebunnyfuufuu

Oct 21, 2015
I cant quote Nathaniel Grey and snip ,cause im on a tablet

BUT

After multiple delays, ten Years of bologna, PROVEN lies, and the francise being held hostage

The fans have earned the right to be cynical, jaded jerks.

They have said they "have started work on it for realsies this time bros" before

Cmon, the company and its actions are beyond defendable, piss off. Its corperate bootlickers like you that let the "games industry" get where its at.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:
So you made a flashy, rather lengthy cinematic trailer full of characters, possible plot, and locations that you aren't even 100% sure about yet?

"Here's the worlds most pristine and ornate picture frame."
"Neat. Where's the painting?"
"*scoff*, I haven't even bought the paint yet."
I am personally humiliated that this time I thought it was legit. I knew I didn't see any gameplay but I figured at the very least that everything we saw was going to hint of structure set up or something. And then there was the entire presentation that came afterwards with signs of customization character selection and what have you. Frankly it seems like it wasn't a continuation Jade story it was a continuation of the setting and set up hopefully dealing with the complexities and nuances that they wanted it first. It was a sequel in the way that Madeleine l'engle's books were sequels similar setting and themes but entirely different plot and concerns even if it had similar characters. At least that's what I hope

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Parasondox said:
Wait? Didn't they tease this game years ago? What the heck were they doing all this time if there is zero to show for it?
Pretty much. So as I expected, it's never gonna happen. And at this point, even if it does, it'll just be another Duke Nukem Forever. What a joke. A worthless, pathetic joke.

Chimpzy said:
Holy music o3o
That song was awesome! Didn't expect to hear that in a cartoon