Michel Ancel Says Beyond Good & Evil 2 is at "Day Zero of Development"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nathaniel Grey said:
It seems most of you didn't see the speech that Michel Ancel gave during the reveal. It is very clear that the team is working hard on this game and was simply happy to share with everyone the fact that they were indeed working on the game. All this negativity (real jerk-like comments) is really unwarranted to a guy who was in tears because of the mere fact he was able to make a sequel/prequel to a game he loved.

In all honesty, fellow escapist members, y'all are a bit up your own asses in this thread.
I absolutely loathe this "shut up and be grateful" mentality in some gamers.
Grateful for what? A teaser trailer? They already made one nine years ago.

Even if you fell for that one in 2008, at least it looked like a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil.
Nine years later: have another trailer. Now it's a prequel, so fuck those characters you liked and fuck if we're addressing that infamous cliffhanger ending. Have a repulsive chav chimp with a gun, mothafucka mothafucka for dialogue and things going boom.
Not only did Ancel not give us anything, he managed to take something: the hope a beloved cult game would get a decent sequel.
Thanks for fucking nothing is what he's getting.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nathaniel Grey said:
It seems most of you didn't see the speech that Michel Ancel gave during the reveal. It is very clear that the team is working hard on this game and was simply happy to share with everyone the fact that they were indeed working on the game. All this negativity (real jerk-like comments) is really unwarranted to a guy who was in tears because of the mere fact he was able to make a sequel/prequel to a game he loved.

In all honesty, fellow escapist members, y'all are a bit up your own asses in this thread.

Good, for a second there I thought I had a stroke and just imagined the fact that they have already done this exact same thing before: put out a purely CG video with a big "Beyond Good And Evil 2" stamp on it that has fuck-all to do with anything. Evidently my mental faculties are still with me...for the time being.

See you guys in another decade. :^)

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
A teaser trailer followed by a teaser trailer, this time treated like an announcement... fuck off ubisoft.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<basks in the oh-so-delicious schadenfreude this thread gives>

Y'all need Jesus and a chill pill. If there's "nothing to work with", then there's nothing to really comment on beyond "Eh, we'll find out later". Certainly nothing to get so worked up about.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
How'sabout "shut up, you're lowering the property values"?

I dream of the day I see people on this forum taking a neutral or mildly disappointed response to stuff like this, rather than pure hatred. No wonder you're never listened to.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
lacktheknack said:
I dream of the day I see people on this forum taking a neutral or mildly disappointed response to stuff like this, rather than pure hatred. No wonder you're never listened to.
"But they promised to take my money! They promised they'd let me buy their pointless entertainment product whenever they got around to making it! THEY PROMISED! THEY PROMISED!"

Seriously. Why ANYONE is upset over ANY aspect of this, either way, is just mind-bogglingly stupid. I don't get it.

IT'S JUST A FUCKING ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCT, PEOPLE. Maybe don't lose your shit over it?

Christ, I want a sequel as much as the next 'fan' of the original, but getting upset over getting a somewhat neat, in-universe cinematic is just....ugh, I have no words adequate enough to describe this stupidity.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Parasondox said:
Wait? Didn't they tease this game years ago? What the heck were they doing all this time if there is zero to show for it?
There's got to be a valve/half life joke for this. Hell, I hate to say it, but at least Valve doesn't troll it's fans with trailers every so often for something that effectively doesn't exist and probably won't be anything like the game people liked. They just prefer to be obnoxiously obtuse about the whole thing.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Chimpzy said:
Holy music o3o
That song was awesome! Didn't expect to hear that in a cartoon
It's from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, a theatrical movie set in the Batman Animated Series universe.

I take it you haven't seen it? You should, if you're into Batman. It's really good. I consider it one of the best Batman movies overall.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I already said I was witholding judgment and going in with average expectations. With this news we know that the trailer tells us bugger all, meaning I am now witholding even more judgement.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
lacktheknack said:
To be fair I'd say loathing the new teaser's pretty damn reasonable given the bizarre tonal shift from BG&E.

Jim Sterling's knowing 'reaction' vid to the teaser re its language was brilliant ("Thrice, and a bastard!" [https://youtu.be/CQf2EXWcDGI?t=1m14s]), but I was completely taken aback and I do detest that obnoxious chimp and pig. If BG&E2 is in the very early stages (FUCKIN' STILL... ), then good; perhaps they can drop the odious tone and get back to the spirit of the original.

Gamer culture is so often idiotically self-entitled, but BG&E2's becoming a bit of a joke at this point.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

You're not keeping a very good tally, tallyman. I'll have your badge.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Can't we just stop? Can we stop talking about this?

They aren't going to make this game. Not ever.

NOT EVER. <--- Surely the all caps makes it clear?

Even supposing they somehow, against the literally 100% probability of them NOT MAKING THIS GAME EVER, actually made this game...

It would not live up to your expectations. It would be produced by the "AAA" space that occupies THIS generation, as opposed to the one in control when the original BG&E was made, along with this generations demanding, lazy, whining audiences, and this generations greedy, lying, contemptful studios.

So... Let's stop, okay?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Chimpzy said:
I take it you haven't seen it? You should, if you're into Batman. It's really good. I consider it one of the best Batman movies overall.
Not really into superheroes in general, so I wouldn't have. I'll at least look up the soundtrack though, thanks for the tip!

Nathaniel Grey

Dec 18, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nathaniel Grey said:

Even if you fell for that one in 2008, at least it looked like a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil.
Nine years later: have another trailer. Now it's a prequel, so fuck those characters you liked and fuck if we're addressing that infamous cliffhanger ending. Have a repulsive chav chimp with a gun, mothafucka mothafucka for dialogue and things going boom.
Not only did Ancel not give us anything, he managed to take something: the hope a beloved cult game would get a decent sequel.
Thanks for fucking nothing is what he's getting.
I never said to shut up and be grateful, I said that this announcement, that was clearly made with care and love (and again I do stress that notion after seeing Michel Ansel speak), is being met with an unwarranted amount of anger, cynicism, and general negativity. They tried to say to fans, "yes we are indeed working on this." And the common sentiment in this thread is that for some reason it is a trick. Based on the way he talked, and the man himself, it clearly isn't. The announcement was much more of a statement that, Ubisoft Montpellier, and more importantly Michel Ansel, will be working on solely this game until it is complete. When they produced the trailer, that you showed above, they were indeed developing a game that was going to be a direct sequel to beyond good and evil, but they changed their mind. They can do that.

littlebunnyfuufuu

Oct 21, 2015
Vigormortis said:
lacktheknack said:
"But they promised to take my money! They promised they'd let me buy their pointless entertainment product whenever they got around to making it! THEY PROMISED! THEY PROMISED!"

Seriously. Why ANYONE is upset over ANY aspect of this, either way, is just mind-bogglingly stupid. I don't get it.

IT'S JUST A FUCKING ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCT, PEOPLE. Maybe don't lose your shit over it?

Christ, I want a sequel as much as the next 'fan' of the original, but getting upset over getting a somewhat neat, in-universe cinematic is just....ugh, I have no words adequate enough to describe this stupidity.
Sports are an "Entertainment product" that is easily as pointless - they will just be doing it again next year.

But it is both Expected and considered normal to "lose our shit"

How dare we be passionate about something we enjoy?

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I feel like the constant cult-like prayer for a sequel is some kind of lament to redeem the first game. If only the sequel would get made, it would prove the first was good by having huge sales. But if BG&E were a good game, it would be a good game.

What's the sociological term to describe when people latch onto a forgettable, mediocre, unfinished Zelda clone as the "Betht Game Evar!" and proceed to whine about it for decades?

You guys are worse than Firefly fans. It's done, get over it. Even if you're getting a game, it's not going to be the game you want. Oh well, at least you can always enjoy the original, even though people spend more time gushing over it than actually, you know, playing it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
littlebunnyfuufuu said:
Sports are an "Entertainment product" that is easily as pointless - they will just be doing it again next year.
Did I say I thought it was acceptable to 'freak out' and riot over sporting events?

Mmm...don't think I did. Not sure why you're bringing that up like I'd been hypocritical. :/

Doesn't make it rational, acceptable, or advisable, which is what I was saying.

There's passionate, and then there's being juvenile. Throwing a tantrum over a fucking cinematic announcement trailer, just because the related game isn't in the exact state of development someone wanted, is the height of childishness. Only children get upset over something so pointlessly mundane.

Sorry for expecting adults to act like fucking adults. Won't make THAT mistake again.

littlebunnyfuufuu

Oct 21, 2015
Vigormortis said:
littlebunnyfuufuu said:
Did I say I thought it was acceptable to 'freak out' and riot over sporting events?

Mmm...don't think I did. Not sure why you're bringing that up like I'd been hypocritical. :/

Doesn't make it rational, acceptable, or advisable, which is what I was saying.

There's passionate, and then there's being juvenile. Throwing a tantrum over a fucking cinematic announcement trailer, just because the related game isn't in the exact state of development someone wanted, is the height of childishness. Only children get upset over something so pointlessly mundane.

Sorry for expecting adults to act like fucking adults. Won't make THAT mistake again.
I brought up sports because its an "entertainment product" that most people can relate to.

By defending proven liars, you are saying its ok to be lied to.

Perhaps you dont understand why people are upset that that a company that is proven to be liars are "totes workin on this project for realsies, forget those other times we said so." would annoy fans of that project?

Perhaps you dont understand that people arent upset because its "not in the state they wanted" it is because this games fan base has been jerked around for Ten Years??!! (Teased,denied,teased, denied, held ransom, teased, denied, trailor made, smoke mirrors, Ooh shiny distraction! Hand wave, hope people forget about that trailor and we will release another trailor in a few years) and were purposefully jerked around too! Nobody made them tease the fan base, they themselves chose to do that.

Forget "not in a state they wanted", its not even in a state- Thats the problem! Its not in a state, despite them saying it is, then saying it isnt for Ten Years!

Perhaps you dont understand why fans of an "entertainment product" are annoyed that in addition to "vertical slice trailers", withheld reviews, bullshotted trailors and pictures, game trailors made "not in game engine footage", and Sponsored reviews, etc, ( the only form of "Entertainment Product" that does such elaborate schemes btw) we now have to shift through Lies as well?

Wheras the Only reliable and effective way,in a Pre Orders are everything matter world, the best way of determining if a game will be good at release is the history and reputation of both the game, and the companies involved-

Now we are being outright lied to.

Now we have to deal with being outright lied to.

But its "Us" who arent acting like adults???

Do you think how they have acted for Ten Years is reasonable and warranting absolutely no bitterness,cynicism, and jadism?