Michelle McLaren Will Direct Wonder Woman - Update

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Michelle McLaren Will Direct Wonder Woman - Update

Breaking Bad director will helm Warner Bros first female-led superhero movie

Update: Suicide Squad [http://deadline.com/2014/11/michelle-maclaren-wonder-woman-director-1201295693/] feature.

Original Story: Just about every possible name in the industry was floated when Warner Bros announced that they wanted a Variety reports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138242-Warner-Bros-Wants-Female-Director-For-Wonder-Woman-Movie] that the studios' choice hails from the world of cable TV drama series.

Michelle McLaren, a veteran TV director who has called the shots on memorable episodes of made headlines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/breaking%20bad] by preemptively taking herself out of contention for the job.

Scehduled for released in 2017, Captain Marvel, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138059-DC-Announces-Wonder-Woman-Green-Lantern-6-Other-Films-Through-2020] the following year in 2018.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/warner-bros-wonder-woman-1201282507/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
It doesn't matter how talented the people involve are. As long as they don't care or respect the source material, it will always end in failure.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well they picked someone of a good amount of talent by the sounds of it, assuming this happens which is still unconfirmed. Hope the script and everything else is up to par.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
It doesn't matter how much talent you have if the material they're working with is bad.

I mean, Star Wars Episode 1 had powerhouse, Oscar-winning and Oscar-nomiated actors like Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor, and a score by musical god John Williams, and even Shakespearean veterans couldn't make George Lucas's dialogue or story work.

I just don't know. I'll remain skeptical until proven otherwise.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
So much for a fun, campy or good Wonder Woman movie. When this comes out, I'll be staying home to watch the Justice League series and the animated film (co-starring Nathan Fillion).

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
And, once again, reporters are conveniently forgetting Catwoman and Supergirl, so they can say "first superhero movie with female lead."

Admittedly, I'd like to forget Catwoman and Supergirl myself, but good reporting is supposed to be about facts, not what we wish were true.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Antonio Torrente said:
It doesn't matter how talented the people involve are. As long as they don't care or respect the source material, it will always end in failure.
Who doesn't have respect for the source material?

Trishbot said:
It doesn't matter how much talent you have if the material they're working with is bad.

I mean, Star Wars Episode 1 had powerhouse, Oscar-winning and Oscar-nomiated actors like Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor, and a score by musical god John Williams, and even Shakespearean veterans couldn't make George Lucas's dialogue or story work.

I just don't know. I'll remain skeptical until proven otherwise.
This is more what concerns me. Especially since Gadot is Wonder Woman, and she has the acting range of a saltine, meaning it'll be hard to get a performance even if the writing is good.

ryukage_sama said:
So much for a fun, campy or good Wonder Woman movie.
The first two were already off the table.

RJ Dalton said:
And, once again, reporters are conveniently forgetting Catwoman and Supergirl, so they can say "first superhero movie with female lead."

Admittedly, I'd like to forget Catwoman and Supergirl myself, but good reporting is supposed to be about facts, not what we wish were true.
Well, no. Both times it's mentioned are in context. One says it's the first female lead in DC's new continuity, and the other says the first in either Marvel or DC's shared continuity series.

Of which none of the prior movies (you forgot Elektra, BTW) apply.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
You know what... I've been very pessimistic towards the DC films and Wonder Woman because I expected WB to fuck it up.

But this is news that actually sounds relatively good. The people who worked on Breaking Bad were very talented and had a lot of respect for their work, crafting each episode with insane levels of detail. So I'm actually interested now that they have someone from that crew on hands to work with this. Let's hope that same level of work goes into the film.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
But who will write the film? Give us Vince Gilligan and I'll definitely take this movie seriously. Give us David Goyer again and watch as I don't even bother going to see it.

P.S. Thanks

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I love how they think having a female director some how makes it better when they will get a man to write the script. lol. Rather have a female writer.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Michelle MacLaren, Master of Montages.

Even if the movie sucks. (Which is highly likely considering the current state of DC Comics.) Expect some epic scenes from arguably the greatest Breaking Bad director. She also is responsible for some epic moments from Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
ryukage_sama said:
As Zach said above, "fun" and "campy" were never options for any film made by DC. After the Green Lantern movie bombed, they decided to take things into the gritty, grimdark direction, Marvel's success be damned.

On paper, a gritty superhero movie sounds doable, but in practice it hasn't worked so well, especially in recent years, so I do share your fears that this movie won't turn out very good.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
They could Hire Spielberg or Scorsese and it wouldn't matter since the lead actress is terribly wooden.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Well, it sounds like the director is good... Probably still not going to watch this, especially since it's DC, they seem to just watch what Marvel does and yell "DO THAT! DO THAT!... NO NO! DO THAT OTHER THING NOW, YES JAM THEM ALL TOGETHER, JUST DO SOMETHING!".

Marvel had one movie, then had another and they started connecting them, DC seems to just want to have the popularity of the "Marvel Movie Universe" without ANY of the build up, which sounds pretty silly.

ryukage_sama said:
Those first two made me want to ask, What DC movies have you watched lately? Cuz if anything broody/gritty seems to be all DC has in mind after Nolan's Batman. Oh yeah, forgot "realistic".

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Grabehn said:
Marvel had one movie, then had another and they started connecting them, DC seems to just want to have the popularity of the "Marvel Movie Universe" without ANY of the build up, which sounds pretty silly.

ryukage_sama said:
Those first two made me want to ask, What DC movies have you watched lately? Cuz if anything broody/gritty seems to be all DC has in mind after Nolan's Batman. Oh yeah, forgot "realistic".
DC/Warner Bros has a whole line of animated movies that incorporate more of the fun, colorful aspects of the comics. I loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but The Dark Knight Rises demonstrated the limitations of what fun the audience can have with such a dark tone. The animated stuff has also pulled off some great Batman works with Under the Red Hood, Assault on Arkham (which ties in to the Arkham video games), and Crisis on Two Earths (which involves the whole Justice League, but Batman is the best part). They also have a good origin story films for Wonder Woman (self-titled) and Green Lantern (First Flight).

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
You know the more I hear of a certain type of criticism for Wonderwomen the more I become convinced that perfect storybook adherence to the cannon or a complex and multi-faceted story or character are not the direction it actually benefits from going. Underworld with armored tanktop really might be good enough. Hot boobs kicking butt may not be the most respected sub-genre but its has kind of been Wonderwomen?s bread and butter for the last 60ish years. Despite her eccentricities Wonderwomen does not seem to me to be a particularly complex character and I don?t want to watch her drown in emotional baggage or deal with angst issues the same way superman has. I just hope the director creates a celebration of the ass-kicking lady that is worth the price of admission...

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
ryukage_sama said:
DC/Warner Bros has a whole line of animated movies that incorporate more of the fun, colorful aspects of the comics. I loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but The Dark Knight Rises demonstrated the limitations of what fun the audience can have with such a dark tone. The animated stuff has also pulled off some great Batman works with Under the Red Hood, Assault on Arkham (which ties in to the Arkham video games), and Crisis on Two Earths (which involves the whole Justice League, but Batman is the best part). They also have a good origin story films for Wonder Woman (self-titled) and Green Lantern (First Flight).
Gotta give it to you, I actually laughed.

The problem here is that you're mixing up animation with live action movies. When I asked "what DC movies" I meant related to this subject, which is Live Action Wonder Woman. And all DC has done lately with live action super hero movies is... well.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
I want this to be good.... I really do. I am positively ecstatic at the idea of a Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Aquaman movie but I remain sceptical. Imagine if, after Iron Man, Marvel boldly announced every movie they had planned all the way to Age of Ultron. We would have called them overly enthusiastic lunatics and here DC is doing just that.

One movie does not a cinematic universe make. They only have Man of Steel out the gate so far and response about it was mixed at best and disappointing at worst.

OT: transition from TV to 120 minute movie might be a difficult one but she certainly has an impressive resumé. Carefully optimistic about the movie.