Michelle Rodriguez to Star in Gender-Reassignment Revenge Thriller

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Michelle Rodriguez to Star in Gender-Reassignment Revenge Thriller

Tomboy, A Revenge Tale is already coming under fire from transgender rights groups for its sensationalistic plot.

Hollywood has come under increasing fire as of late, from both inside and out, for its perceived lack of diversity when it comes to empowering, female-centric roles and franchises. Zoe Saldana has repeatedly spoken out about Viola Davis [http://madamenoire.com/328805/zoe-saldana-says-passes-lot-roles-hates-objectified-sexy-bombshell/], and scores of other talented, well-known, and grossly undervalued actresses.

And it's not like these claims are off base. A study conducted by San Diego State University last year found that has recently undertaken an investigation [http://variety.com/2015/film/news/women-lead-roles-in-movies-study-hunger-games-gone-girl-1201429016/] to determine whether or not legal action could be taken against several major Hollywood studios for blatant discrimination against female film and TV directors.

Hollywood's answer to these discriminatory/sexist claims? To cast a female lead in a movie about a man who is betrayed in the form of gender-reassignment surgery, of course!

As crazy as it might sound, that is actually the plot of Tomboy, A Revenger's Tale, an upcoming film starring Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver, with 48 Hrs. director Walter Hill at the helm.

The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tomboy-michelle-rodriguez-star-gender-834998] passes along the film's synopsis.

The script, written by Hill from a story by Denis Hamill, centers on an ace assassin who is double-crossed by gangsters and falls into the hands of rogue surgeon known as "The Doctor," who turns him into a woman. The hitman (now a hitwoman) sets out for revenge, aided by a nurse named Johnnie, who also has secrets.

So basically, it's like Face/Off, but with genitals instead of faces.

As you might expect, transgender rights groups like GLAAD have lambasted the film as sensationalist, gimmicky project attempting to capitalize and cash in on a controversial social movement, writing, "We are at a crucial moment in the public's understanding of transgender issues, and stories like these have the potential to undermine the progress we've worked so hard to achieve." Even if you're not the most politically correct person, it would be hard not to see where they're coming from.

But hey, at least women in Hollywood are finally receiving the blockbuster, protagonist roles they deserve, right? Right?! Anyone?!!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tomboy-michelle-rodriguez-star-gender-834998]

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
So when Chloë Sevigny was cast as male to female transexual assassin in Hit & Miss that gets a Glaad TV awards nomination. Michelle Rodriguez gets cast as a male to female transexual assassin in a movie that gets criticised. Hmm.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Can't really select an appropriate level of 'outrage', given that we've not seen the film, or a trailer, or anything.

More films with Michelle Rodriguez are principally a good thing, so right now - based on a synopsis - it's a bit of a net gain.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Hollywood is still run by chimps. More news at 11.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't being "double-crossed by gangsters" generally end with the person ending up in an ambush and being shot at by 60 guys with tommy guns? You know...a scenario that actually ends with the person being at least presumably DEAD? I just can't think of a scenario where "gangsters" would double-cross someone by...making them undergo an unwanted sex-change...

*sigh* People ask for more movies that aren't just based off books, comic books, or 80's tv shows/movies...and this is what we get.

Lovely.

And people wonder why I hate Hollywood and movies in general these days...

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
albino boo said:
So when Chloë Sevigny was cast as male to female transexual assassin in Hit & Miss that gets a Glaad TV awards nomination. Michelle Rodriguez gets cast as a male to female transexual assassin in a movie that gets criticised. Hmm.
The difference presumably being that in Hit & Miss the transgender status of the main character was integral to the plot, an essential part of the character, and decently researched. Here the fact that the very summary of the film almost words it like you can just give someone a shot and they'll change genders is already a bad sign. (I find it highly improbable that the 'rogue surgeon' manages to squeeze months of rehabilitation for the after-effects of the necessary surgical procedures and various things like vocal coaching into what kind of captivity being led into a mobster trap can lead to, unless he's got a gang to protect his secret involuntary sex-change lab).

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
You know what? I'm into the idea. Call it gimmicky, call it offensive, call it dumb, I don't care. I want to see a film about a dude who turns into a woman and kicks ass.

I don't have much to say besides that. Hopefully the film will actually be good. I doubt it, but that's what I'm hoping.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ah, fond memories of the brilliant Cate Blanchett's brief performance as Bob Dylan in that particular film who's name escapes me. She is infinitely more talented than Rodriguez though. Yes hyperbole, i'm feeling all dangerous today. Blame the wine! You can't stop my overzealous explainations now! Haha!

Is it just me or is Rodriguez starting to take on the form of Cat Deeley in that photo? It could very well be the wine however.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't being "double-crossed by gangsters" generally end with the person ending up in an ambush and being shot at by 60 guys with tommy guns? You know...a scenario that actually ends with the person being at least presumably DEAD? I just can't think of a scenario where "gangsters" would double-cross someone by...making them undergo an unwanted sex-change...

*sigh* People ask for more movies that aren't just based off books, comic books, or 80's tv shows/movies...and this is what we get.

Lovely.

And people wonder why I hate Hollywood and movies in general these days...
This. There better be a good reason for this, otherwise it's pure outrage bait.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
jurnag12 said:
albino boo said:
The difference presumably being that in Hit & Miss the transgender status of the main character was integral to the plot, an essential part of the character, and decently researched. Here the fact that the very summary of the film almost words it like you can just give someone a shot and they'll change genders is already a bad sign. (I find it highly improbable that the 'rogue surgeon' manages to squeeze months of rehabilitation for the after-effects of the necessary surgical procedures and various things like vocal coaching into what kind of captivity being led into a mobster trap can lead to, unless he's got a gang to protect his secret involuntary sex-change lab).
That's my point they are persuming based a 50 word plot synopsis. The film hasn't even been made and they screaming and shouting. Glaad will lose all credibility if they behave like a twitter mob, shouting this is good and this bad, without any evidence. For god sake its the first transgender lead character in an action movie and they think thats bad thing. The very fact that they think they can get enough bums on seats means that transgender characters are mainstream enough to commercially viable and not some oscar bait star vehicle.

ThinRedLine

Sep 15, 2015
albino boo said:
This.

Jared Jones, this is not "news", this is a biased opinion piece.

"But hey, at least women in Hollywood are finally receiving the blockbuster, protagonist roles they deserve, right? Right?! Anyone?!!"

Should we call an ambulance, sounds like you're having a stroke of "outrage" that doesn't belong on this website.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Don't care, stars Michelle Rodriguez, one of my favorite actors. And I'll see any movie with her, she's basically my favorite action movie star next to Arnold.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I actually find the idea rather amusing. I doubt I'll go and see it at a cinema, but I'll probably end up getting it on DVD, or seeing it on Netflix if it ends up on there.
Also, I laughed at
So basically, it's like Face/Off, but with genitals instead of faces.
Gotta go watch that again sometime soon.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
JaredJones said:
But hey, at least women in Hollywood are finally receiving the blockbuster, protagonist roles they deserve, right? Right?! Anyone?!!
Ok, in all seriousness, why does anyone "deserve" a Blockbuster role? I'm serious, this is Hollywood, there are literally thousands of people (male and female) waiting tables and trying to make ends meet hoping for their big break in acting, why do any of them not 'deserve' big roles any more or less than Carey Mulligan or Zoe Saldana?

I just don't get this weirdly selective outrage regarding gender % in certain industries. No one seems to care that women make up a tiny minority of oil field workers and chemical engineers, and no one seems to care that men make up a tiny minority of elementary school teachers and Nurses, yet somehow when Hollywood isn't 50/50 it's a cause for mass hysteria.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
I don't know, the first place my mind went to was something akin to Oldboy. Only instead of just being stuck in a hotel for years the assassin is forced to undergo this procedure to change them... then insert crazy plot twist to explain why someone went through all this trouble at the end.

Honestly if it's something forced on someone I don't see how this will be representative of people who choose to be trans anyway. In fact, written well, it could be very empowering showing the pain one goes through, trying to overcoming social conditioning/stigma and how different things can be from 'the other side'.

But let's not kid ourselves, it'll probably just be another horrible movie trying to cash in on headlines.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
I cannot care less about this HORRIBLE STATE OF AFFAIRS. It's like the biggest problem Hollywood has!

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
ThinRedLine said:
albino boo said:
This.

Jared Jones, this is not "news", this is a biased opinion piece.

"But hey, at least women in Hollywood are finally receiving the blockbuster, protagonist roles they deserve, right? Right?! Anyone?!!"

Should we call an ambulance, sounds like you're having a stroke of "outrage" that doesn't belong on this website.
I think you (and a few other readers who have commented) are misreading my attempt at humor as outrage. The "news" here is that Rodriguez was cast in a controversial movie that is (perhaps prematurely) receiving backlash from the community it is attempting to spotlight. That is absolutely news. That last line is a simple attempt to add some humor to an otherwise downer of a news piece.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
WOW! I'm just going to ignore the problems with casting a man to female transexual as a woman and instead focus on the fact that this sounds like a Adam Sandler comedy. Seriously this movie supposed to be a parody right? right?

edit: transexual and transvestite are two different things. I am stupid