Microsoft Announces Age of Empires: Definitive Edition - A 4K Remaster of the Strategy Classic

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft Announces Age of Empires: Definitive Edition - A 4K Remaster of the Strategy Classic

Ensemble Studios' classic strategy game is getting a 4K makeover, and a beta later this month.

Way back in 1997, Ensemble Studios released a real-time strategy game that would spawn one of the most beloved franchises in gaming. Age of Empires let you take the reins of armies from Africa, Asia, and Europe, and lead them from the Stone Age to the Iron Age. The game's Rise of Rome expansions added the Roman Empire to the fray. We've seen two sequels, and a remaster of Age of Empires 2, but you couldn't play the original unless you owned the physical disc. That's going to change soon.

Microsoft announced this week that it is going to release Age of Empires: Definitive Edition later this year. The remaster is going to include not only updated visuals, but also support for 4K, a re-orchestrated soundtrack, enhanced gameplay and narration, and the Rise of Rome expansion. That means you'll have 16 civilizations to play as, and 10 campaigns to complete.

While there's no release date for the remaster, there is a beta program that planned to kick off later this month, if you want to get involved in that, you can sign up over at the official site [https://www.ageofempires.com/age-insider-information/]. Fair warning: signing up requires an Xbox Live account, which means that this remaster could possibly be a Windows Store-only title.

[gallery=7513]

Nov 28, 2007
I'm sol-wait...warning signs for being Windows Store exclusive. Well, never mind then. I'll just continue with my fond memories of Age of Empires: Gold Edition. Mostly because I'm still on Windows 7, and don't think I even have a Windows Store to access.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Yeah, if it's a Win10 exclusive, it's going to fail really badly.
If it's a timed Win10 exclusive, then it may have a chance down the line. And given how the Halo Wars 1 remake ended on Steam at one point, I guess it's possible to be a temp-exclusive, if at all (still no Halo Wars 2, but I presume that'll never come to Steam due requiring too much of Win10 Store functions to even work)

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Dear Microsoft,

Please don't **** this up.

Sincerely,
Original Age of Empires Fan

I really hope they include the original music score from AOE. I preferred it over the RoR expansion.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
even though i still think part 2 is the best, playing part 1 would be welcoming too. i miss these funny remarks they make when you select them. i also remember the demo were you had to start off with 2 wizards (or what ever they were) and hypnotize a few settlers to start your village. how many hours i have spend with the demo alone until the final game came out.