Microsoft Creates "Advertars"

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Only if the "Advertar" fits the context of the game and is killable... for example, lets say I'm playing GTA V in several years time, and the whole advertar thing really kicks off, I'm walking down the in-game street and come across a guy in a gecko suit with a sandwichboard emblazoned: "GEICKO" When he asks for a minute of my time, I want to be able to whip out a knife and stab him in the face.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Even though I don't play MMO's much I still have to say this.

"I stopped watching TV so I could forget about the commercials, I don't need you advertising some product I don't want to buy or really care about in my way of getting away from you.."

NeuroShock

Jul 14, 2009
It could be worse, they could have put them on the player characters themselves. Imagine playing Modern Warfare 2, looking through the sniper scope at your next target and noticing a McDonalds patch on the sleeve of their uniform.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
We can only hope this drives down the cost of things. I mean if it's those online MMORPGs and it drives down the monthly fees then great. If it can drop it down to $0 then I'll even play (unless it's WoW in which case I have already seen a friend addicted to it and I won't take my chances with it)

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
NeuroShock said:
It could be worse, they could have put them on the player characters themselves. Imagine playing Modern Warfare 2, looking through the sniper scope at your next target and noticing a McDonalds patch on the sleeve of their uniform.
That player is obviously American.
Heh...
wait...

Anyway, if this gets me free stuff I'll do it. Never bought anything or watched a movie or whatever based on an ad. I have other, less smart people that do that for me.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I wouldn't talk to an advert bot. I'll stick to hiring out my Guild's name as an advert.

I really hope the avatars don't break the immersion of the MMO though. If Trix [http://www.sillyrabbit.millsberry.com/], to steal your example, wanted to advertise in World of Warcraft or something, they could simply have a handful of rabbit critters renamed Trix, make it invulnerable and allow players to speak to it.
That way, people can ignore it while still not having their immersion broken, and other players can gain compensation for speaking to it.
What if we kill it...

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
poncho14 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I wouldn't talk to an advert bot. I'll stick to hiring out my Guild's name as an advert.

I really hope the avatars don't break the immersion of the MMO though. If Trix [http://www.sillyrabbit.millsberry.com/], to steal your example, wanted to advertise in World of Warcraft or something, they could simply have a handful of rabbit critters renamed Trix, make it invulnerable and allow players to speak to it.
That way, people can ignore it while still not having their immersion broken, and other players can gain compensation for speaking to it.
What if we kill it...
There, I put the bit about that in bold.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Advertars.. That's a Portmanteau.

How is this any different from people who try to sell you in-game gold and junk for real money?

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
Only if the "Advertar" fits the context of the game and is killable... for example, lets say I'm playing GTA V in several years time, and the whole advertar thing really kicks off, I'm walking down the in-game street and come across a guy in a gecko suit with a sandwichboard emblazoned: "GEICKO" When he asks for a minute of my time, I want to be able to whip out a knife and stab him in the face.
Seriously?

The Geicko gecko is adorable!

...But I swear to god if this idea doesn't die like a whore in London, circa 1888, I will personally find the people who came up with it.
It was a guy in a suit, if it was the real gecko, I would've just stepped on the fucker...

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Why would anyone let this in their game? The money gained from advertisers wouldn't make up for the loss of money from the entire player base switching to some other game that won't allow this crap.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Xan Krieger said:
We can only hope this drives down the cost of things. I mean if it's those online MMORPGs and it drives down the monthly fees then great. If it can drop it down to $0 then I'll even play (unless it's WoW in which case I have already seen a friend addicted to it and I won't take my chances with it)
Why would they lower the prices when they can milk you, the customer, for as much as possible for the game, and also get money from advertisers for making you watch crap you don't want to watch? It's win win for them, as they make more money and people won't care enough to stop buying.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hurray the ones who are willing to participate through thier crap get rewarded. So how about the rest of us who aren't willing to yet will still have to endure the endless ads in a service we already pay for? Must be nice to get paid twice.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I would actually like to see how the drug companies tackle the new form of advertising

I could just imagine a giant blue pill wandering around saying ill make your partner VERY happy, or something like that.

Jacobistheshiz

Jul 14, 2009
Wow this is stupid. One of the things that makes games so great is that theres no advertisements. And like any entertainment medium. It will be bombarded by advertisements. The only reason this didn't happen sooner is because there wasn't as big an audience as there was for T.V. and the internet. Now that all the casual gamers are hitting the scene, there is audience of everyone rangeing from Grammy Jinkens to Hardcore Gamer Jesus. So soon enough we will have commercial breaks at the end of every level, or online game session.
I'm just glad I won't be around when they put advertisements in your dreams.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
1. One of the reasons I play games is that they don't have commercials and I don't have to sit through advertisements while I'm playing them. If games start to have increasingly invasive commercial elements, I'm going to be reading more and playing games less.

2. If the game has intrusive advertisements, it should be free. Advertisements in games you pay for (including single player games you buy in the store) should be limited to product placement. IE Mountain Dew can have vending machines and people can drink it, Billboards and posters are OK so long as they're reasonably placed, etc. With respect for the medium, no Nike Boots of the Gatorade or Snickers Power Bar of Strength. If a fantasy game is to have product placement, it should be as subtle as possible.