Microsoft Didn't Mean to Hate on Indie Developers

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
"The intent of the Specialty Shops section was to provide access to marketplaces that focus on a specific type of content, with unique ways of sorting through that content."
What a load of shit. Why are indie games different than any other game? They need their own section for the simple reason that they're low budget? And there's some reason that they're not listed in the games library?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Again, I say MS made the right choice. When I go to search in the main A-Z lists for games and DLC, I do not want crap like "How 2 talk 2 gurls lol" and "we turned teh controller into a sex toy" clogging up my search, just like I don't want it clogged with Rock Band songs or Avatar clothes either. Indie games belong in their own specialty shop like all the other niche offerings on the Marketplace.

The only thing MS should do for the indie games thing now is put up some kind of quality control so crap like the two games I mentioned above don't get into the listings in the first place. The indie games section looks like the Wii game library, honestly. A few good games here or there completely surrounded by shovelware.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It seems patently stupid to provide a hosting and distribution service for those indie games (for the explicit purpose of selling them) and then try to hide them away so nobody can find them.

Why pay to host these things if you don't want to sell them?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Atmos Duality said:
It seems patently stupid to provide a hosting and distribution service for those indie games (for the explicit purpose of selling them) and then try to hide them away so nobody can find them.

Why pay to host these things if you don't want to sell them?
Good question to ask. The answer is, they didn't. The games are not buried; they're broken out from the umpty-zillion Arcade and DLC titles in the Marketplace so that they don't get buried by the Big Boys' offerings.

I think the indie guys have a legitimate beef that their cover art and blurbs weren't showing (which I dearly hope is just an artifact of the server load from the Dashboard update downloads, the way Zune wasn't working properly from the same load) but this is some folks badly misunderstanding what's going on, IMO.

-- Steve

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Kouen said:
"hrm wonder whats new on the indie game scene, lets have a look on my 360... erm... where are they? hrm lets check the A-Z... nothing? Hrm looks like there not on 360 no more. Oh well"
Or you are a european player then you are like "indie games what is that". Found it funny some dutch news site published this as well as we do not get indie games on our game marketplace

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
D Moness said:
Kouen said:
"hrm wonder whats new on the indie game scene, lets have a look on my 360... erm... where are they? hrm lets check the A-Z... nothing? Hrm looks like there not on 360 no more. Oh well"
Or you are a european player then you are like "indie games what is that". Found it funny some dutch news site published this as well as we do not get indie games on our game marketplace
Im very much a European and am somewhat into the indie scene :p

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.186385-Indie-Games-Your-Thoughts-Recommendations

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Kouen said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.186385-Indie-Games-Your-Thoughts-Recommendations
LOL Interesting link. My complaint was more that we do not get it on xbl. I do play them and found a few really fun/interesting ones. Just wish it was easier for us to buy them over xbl.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
D Moness said:
Kouen said:

LOL Interesting link. My complaint was more that we do not get it on xbl. I do play them and found a few really fun/interesting ones. Just wish it was easier for us to buy them over xbl.
Could try looking on steam, most indie titles are not that demanding, infact most run on my craptop (Isnt my gaming rig though lol)

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
We tried to warn you guys. Come, join us. Join the PSN. We love you here and wont stab you in the back to make room for a new expensive webcam.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I find it more disturbing that the Avatar-Barbie store is actually used. I have not checked the whole "Indie" section, let alone the Live marketplace in ages, but I would imagine that it is for the best to separate randomness from the regular marketplace releases. I refused the most recent update so I cannot comment on how it meshes exactly, but the other solution I can guess at would be to have a final marketplace option when sorting through games in the arcade at the bottom specifically labeled "Indie titles" that would branch out into its own separate section once selected.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Wouldn't it be better to just double place Indie games in both areas and link to the same items so while in games you can find an indie spot and it's also with the Avatars etc. in the Spec. shop.