Microsoft Discusses Rare - Talks of Possible Battletoads Revival

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
And I think the reason you see things like Battletoads revived is because we know there's value, so we renewed the trademark."
"We know there's value."

Yeah, because nostalgia buys a lot of games, no matter of they are crappy, cheap rip-offs. There are always people buying them no matter how bad they are.
It's that simple, and Microsoft has hardly ever proven to be anything but simple and money hungry.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Friendly reminder to everyone that very few work at Rare who did in their glory days and almost everything Rare has produced for nearly a decade has been considered complete crap.

Yeah, I loved those games to, but I also love them enough to know what ever is going to come out later with their name will be HORRIBLE. Just look at killer Instinct!

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
jackpipsam said:
I might be too young, but I just don't 'get' Battletoads. I have the game somewhere around my house which I picked up cheap, but I just don't see what's so grand about it.
In the first level you can beat down a flying dragon thing until you can ride it, then beat up a robot while on the dragon and grab the robot's leg and swing it as a weapon while your still flying on the dragon. Then you fight a boss entierly in first person view.. the boss' view! That's pretty damned amazing you ask me, even by today's standards.

Not to mention it's still remembered as one of the hardest games ever made, and there is a growing selection of people who really enjoy a challenge
especially since modern games often offer none.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Whatever; I always found it baffling how MS made a big deal about getting Rare when they first bought them and then proceeded to do nothing with them. You'd think for a company like MS which is severely lacking in first party titles they'd want to expand and bolster their portfolio, but then let the company flounder.

And that's before we get into the debate of whether or not Rare was any good. More and more, you see Rare titles pop up on "Most Overrated of All Time" lists. Sure, Goldeneye, the DKC series, Battletoads, and KI were POPULAR for their time, but that doesn't translate to being good. A lot of them just haven't aged well.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Tanis said:
The last 'Banjo Kazooie' game sucked.
Actually... No it didn't. Yeah, it was hardly a Banjo Kazooie game, that's for sure, but it didn't suck. Quite the contrary.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Another Jet Force Gemini? Please? PLEASE?! Or just an HD update, I don't care, *anything* Jet Force will have me freaking out