Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Kael Arawn

Mar 4, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Kael Arawn said:
Really? Did you seriously just do that?
Uhhh...calling forumites nazis is bad. You might not want to do that. Like, ever.
I just edited it so its less offensive and i already got a mark for making the same post in another tread so ive learned my lesson.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I'm a little late jumping into this, but it's entirely possible the guy was joking. Making an always-on console would be market suicide.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
If it's confirmed through the guy's linkedin profile
Which...he seems to have closed down...

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-orth/44/354/b44

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adam/Orth

Not lookin good for him even with a grain of salt taken
Yeah, the linkedin profile going dark is not a good sign, I'll grant you. And if he does actually get waxed from the company over this, it'll be more than a little unusual.

Also, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, the last couple days have been... unusual.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
If it's confirmed through the guy's linkedin profile
Which...he seems to have closed down...

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-orth/44/354/b44

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adam/Orth

Not lookin good for him even with a grain of salt taken
Yeah, the linkedin profile going dark is not a good sign, I'll grant you. And if he does actually get waxed from the company over this, it'll be more than a little unusual.

Also, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, the last couple days have been... unusual.
I dont know, my company has fired some of our lieutenants for public fuck up's far less severe than this, so maybe my boss is just a hardass but this seems normal to me :p

And no worries, I am a patient person...waiting...stalking...er... I hope things are being more normal on your end!
What is this "normal" you speak of?

And, yeah, your boss is probably a hardass. :p It isn't unusual for people to get terminated in situations like this, but it is substantially more usual for someone in management, or project directors to get dispatched this way. There's a couple reasons:

One is that the peons at the bottom of the food chain are infinitely more replaceable, so depending on how much the company's put into them, it could be far cheaper to just throw them under the bus and find new, rather than deal with whatever they spouted.

Second, managers, as a general rule, are far more integral to their projects. That is to say, their team is, well, theirs, and removing them could potentially cause the team to start hemorrhaging personnel (the Infinity Ward debacle from last year is a good example of this). Additionally, even if the team is still loyal to the parent company, the manager is there to get the best results from the team. Even if the team stays intact, whoever is brought in to replace it will have to learn the dynamics within the team, or, if they're promoted, pick up where their boss left off, with the obvious morale hit of being told they're imminently replaceable.

Third, so, not a couple reasons, there are more people at the bottom of the food chain than at the top, so statistically, it's less likely. There's also the fact that the higher up the corporate food chain you are, the fewer people you answer to, and the lower the chance of having someone like, well, your boss.

For them to have actually fired him, assuming what I've seen about him a senior member of the Durango development team is accurate, it means that they're willing to risk the team coming apart at the seams to get rid of him. So either he's been a major fuckup already, internally, and this was, to mutilate a metaphor beyond recognition, the straw that broke the water's surface... Microsoft is confident that the outrage is against him, not against the apparent system implementation, and didn't want attention drawn to the AODRM. Or he's managed to alienate the team he's running... which isn't really a good situation in it's own right, and doesn't say hopeful things about the eventual console's condition at launch... or ever, for that matter.

Or... I don't know. It's possible his Linkedin account was taken down because of harassing messages. That seems more likely at least to some extent, and kicking him out the door would be something Microsoft has no real interest in covering up... "hey, here's a guy who did a stupid thing, and we got rid of him because we're not with him," or something along those lines.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Kael Arawn said:
So instead of acting like a bunch of WORLD WAR 2 GERMANS WITH A PENCHANT FOR LEATHER and demanding the ethnic cleansing of anyone who even remotely likes the idea try rationally being part of the debate via looking at its pros and cons and don?t buy it when its out if the idea still pisses you off.
Oh ho ho ho, look, the "I'm saying Nazi without using the exact word" trick.

Say, I never knew that people in favor of always-on DRM (or whatever) were an "ethnicity" to begin with...

Are you all so afraid of the NEXT on the principle that if its succeeds then it will simply be just one more accepted business practice connected to game?s that is counter to what you want from the industry as a whole and might become a new standard paradigm to the point that it must be eradicated from existence before its even happened?

Because if any of you answer ?yes? to the above question you living in fear of a possibility and i recommend you go start watching Fox News and believing the tripe they broadcast without question if you?re that controlled by possible pseudo conniptions of your favorite pastime/hobby.
I'm sorry, what? You're basically insulting, repeatedly, people who are voicing a legitimate concern; you refuse to try and see where they're coming from, instead you belittle them and treat them with not a shred of basic human dignity.

All you're accomplishing is coming across as a highly unpleasant person and shooting your own case down from orbit while you're at it.

Kael Arawn said:
[
I just edited it so its less offensive and i already got a mark for making the same post in another tread so ive learned my lesson.
It's no "less offensive", really. Sure you didn't use that one specific word, but your post is not a spiff less offensive than it was when it was still in there.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone.
Yeah ... more like "I will not buy a mobile phone that requires reception to use features that don't actually need it". Because even if your reception is crystal clear all the time, that's still a terrible idea.

The idea is to try and minimize the dependency on the unstable resource. Creating an artificial dependency, then, is a really bad move, especially when none of your competitors do the same.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
GamerMage said:
Desert Punk said:
Norrdicus said:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

This website really needs a like button

And that picture he has...that is just so perfect for the statment he made!
How appropriate. Also,what happenned to Vault?
Wait, you don't know what happened to Vault?

He/she posted a image of a crying baby in response to a thread and got banned for it.

TheLycanKing144

Mar 3, 2013
Not even going to touch the next Xbox system if this turns out to be true. I'm a PlayStation fan so I didn't have much interest in the next Xbox to begin with but this is just downright stupid, please MS don't do this. I want the Xbox to still be around and competing because more competition is always good for the industry. And that CEO guy is an asshole.

But wow I have never seen so much bad press about a product before in my life, especially before it's even out. I don't understand why MS just won't come out and say these rumors are all false if they arn't true, I know they are seeing the public backlash this is getting and it's only going to hurt them.

All we can do now is wait until E3 and hope for the best. If true then goodbye 720, hello PS4. Deal with THAT Microsoft!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kael Arawn said:
We're not using the Zed Ned word.
Vegosiux said:
And ordinary snip.
He's right. That's still a really offensive thing to say to people, and it's wrong.

Put simply, the gaming industry was not always like this. It wasn't the kind of competition that survives by shitting on others. Not us and not the other companies. It use to be about...just selling the product. You build it up, you talk about it, the consumer chooses, you learn from success or failure, and then you repeat. These days, steps one and two are handled poorly so as to trick people into believing the product is gold when it may be non-functional, thereby manipulating step three without any shame at all, even though it's bad business and sometimes QUITE illegal. Furthermore, it's very very VERY frigging clear that nobody follows step four at all, the learning curve.

Business use to be about business: Product, Market, Profit, and no screwing around. Honesty is a thing they don't really care about much now, so you have to ram it in their faces to stop that sneaky shit by any means at your disposal. And don't frigging tell me to 'deal with it', like I should take a paddling like a good boy when I've done no wrong. I'm not even among the victimized, but I have the capacity for a little sympathy. And so, if I don't like the product, I will not touch it. And if I want to shout about it, I will shout. And if I want to tell others what I think and why, then I will. It's down to them to believe or disbelieve. Your problem is that they believe.

You don't want people up in arms about something, when they certainly have the right if they want to. If peoplle don't like what they hear on the internet, there's no rule that says they can't say so in a manner of their own choosing. Granted, there are forum rules regarding behavior, but then I didn't invoke Godwin's Law.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I was actually considering getting the next xbox since Microsoft entices developers to shit on PS3 users with downgraded (graphically)game ports and delayed DLC. However if they truly think always online is the way to go then I wish them all the luck in the world while I play on my PS4.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Microsoft's policy has always been an aggressive marketing campaign to get users to buy more Macs and Sony Playstations (-1, -2,-3, and now -4) . This is all part of that.

Why are you all surprised?

Feb 22, 2009
Phones need phone signal to work. Vacuum cleaners need power to work. Video games do NOT need the internet to work, and though it's a nice addition, there's no actual advantage to forcing players to use it when they needn't.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Seems like he will have to...

*put on sunglasses*

Deal with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
TheSpyIsASpyWDZ said:
Strazdas said:
TheSpyIsASpyWDZ said:
Well, as someone who couldn't get any faster than dial-up 2 years ago, and whose current internet is a fraction as fast as broadband, I can say that you're hilariously wrong in your generalization of the entire country of the USA. Honestly, if the next XBOX quite literally needs an internet connection to run, then Microsoft are a bunch of brainless twats who didn't deserve my money for their console anyway. I really can't get any faster internet where I live in Beloit, WI. Not all of the United States has the population density of Seattle, and the people simply cannot get a reliable connection.
according to vikipedia your population is 36,966. You should have fiber optics in a town this large by now, i cna understand dialup in a 100 people villages, but such a town should ahve forgotten that long ago. i pity you for having crapy monopolizing consumer abusing ISPs.
Well, the northern end of Beloit has most of the population, I live in the outskirts where no cables dare- Oh you know what? I'll just be frank with you. The ISPs are assholes, and my house is only a mile off a MAIN ROAD. While where I live in the town houses are quite far apart, but not enough to warrant not having cable. But yeah, most of the population is in a different side of my town, basically you have a metropolitan northern area, and a dead as hell southern area. And don't get me started on the city of South Beloit, they make southern Beloit look like New York.
Really? Fucking Beloit is a wasteland of internet access? You're about an hour and a half from Madison and Chicago and you can't get better than a fraction of broadband? I live up in Marquette, a town of 20,000 an hour away from the nearest town of 10,000, and I can get a connection of 300Mbps. My fucking grandparents live outside of a town with two streets on a goddamn island and they've got a better internet connection than you. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is one of the most sparsely populated sections east of the Mississipi, and you're telling me we can get a better internet connection than southern Wisconsin?