Microsoft Expecting Increase Xbox 360 Sales in 2008

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Expecting Increase Xbox 360 Sales in 2008

Xbox 360 [http://www.microsoft.com]consoles in 2008 than it did in 2007, citing European sales as a key factor in its ongoing efforts to take the lead in the console market.

Jeff Bell, global marketing chief for Microsoft Games, said the Xbox 360 was doing well in the U.K. and was also making gains in France and Germany, but that Reuters [http://www.sony.com]. "The biggest challenge is that Sony as a brand has had greater staying power than in other areas. Not just PlayStation 3, but Sony as a brand."

Bell said that Microsoft's sales in Japan would also improve in 2008 as a result of recent and upcoming game releases from well-known Japanese developers, despite the dismally poor performance of the Xbox 360 in that market to date. "We will sell more consoles next year than this year," he said. "We don't want to trade places with anybody."

And when asked about the benefits of Wii [http://www.nintendo.com]shortage, Bell commented, "Sometimes you're good, sometimes you're lucky, and it's wonderful when you're both."

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
They have to expect that, if they don't sell more by 2008 they're going to have to drop out of the console race and all the Xbox-exclusive games will become available for game systems that DON'T break down every two days.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
There's the Japan problem, really. I think the PS2, over its existence, has been literally flooded with unexpensive shovelware which Japanese seem to fancy. This has to build an audience.
No wonder why a lower price for the PS3 allows the possible audience transfer to occur.

Microsoft is simply completely out in Japan, which is what makes the difference. Their catalogue is just too US centric.
In the US, the 360 is way above the PS3. But it's now defeated in Europe, due to the PS3's price cut, and is inexistant in Japan. When you see the sales they achieve, while their success is really concentrated on the US only, it's a pity they don't achieve to break correctly into other places.

Yes, the difference is in Europe. I can't see how they could change anything in Japan, until they clearly massively grow studios in Japan, for that very market.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Arbre said:
In the US, the 360 is way above the PS3. But it's now defeated in Europe, due to the PS3's price cut, and is inexistant in Japan. When you see the sales they achieve, while their success is really concentrated on the US only, it's a pity they don't achieve to break correctly into other places.
If by "Defeated" you mean "outselling the competition in hardware and destroying it in software" then yes, the Xbox is "defeated" in Europe. The PS3 is closer to hardware parity in Europe than the US, but the software isn't selling nearly as well.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
I still find it crazy that people are saying the PS3 is kicking the 360's arse in europe. Everyone i know who bought a PS3 told me they wish they'd saved their money and bought more shit for the 360.

I've only had 1 breakdown with the 360, which fair enough is one more than i should've had. Also does no-one else think the PS3 is Stupidly ugly. Its graphics are still on par with the 360, but the actual console itself fits with nothing, it stands out like a sore thumb, and not in a good way.

Anyway, the PS3 Hardware means it'll outlast the 360, but that'll be a while away, so i'll wait till the PS3 Drops some more, and when MGS4 comes out, i'll give it another look.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
McMo0^ said:
I still find it crazy that people are saying the PS3 is kicking the 360's arse in europe. Everyone i know who bought a PS3 told me they wish they'd saved their money and bought more shit for the 360.
1. It's Sony.
2. Insanely low price for such a console.
3. More powerful? <- really, I'm not fixed on that one.

This overshadows the catalogue's mediocrity. I really underestimated how the price would make such a difference. The brand is strong in that one.