Microsoft Flight Goes Free-to-Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Flight Goes Free-to-Play

Microsoft Flight is coming this spring, and it's free.

There aren't many games with a pedigree that compares to that of Microsoft Flight Simulator. It first took flight all the way back in 1980 as an Apple/TRS-80 game developed by SubLOGIC; Microsoft got involved in 1982, upgrading and porting it to the PC and releasing numerous subsequent editions as well as a few "combat" versions for folks who insist on shooting at things in every game they play. But while there was a time when the Flight Simulator franchise was a heavy hitter - an era when a joystick was just about mandatory equipment for any computer gamer - it was very much a niche product by the time the last iteration, Flight Simulator X [http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Deluxe-DVD-Pc/dp/B000GCJ6MK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325727882&sr=8-2], was released in 2006.

But gone is not forgotten and now the storied franchise is set to return as the free-to-play Microsoft Flight, slated for launch this spring. The game will let players take to the skies over the island of Hawaii, where they can undertake various missions and challenges, search for hidden "aerocaches" or just relax and cruise.

"Many people dream of flying, but few have the chance to experience the fun of exploring the world from above. Microsoft Flight provides players the opportunity to explore that curiosity and interest," said Executive Producer Joshua Howard. "Aviation can be incredibly technical, but we've taken great care to build an experience that makes taking to the skies thrilling and accessible for everyone."

To that end, the game will support various levels of realism, providing an authentic flight experience for experienced joystick jockeys while letting the yank-and-bank crowd do its thing with a mouse and an exterior view. It will also offer virtual pilots the first look at the ICON A5 light sport aircraft, described as a "jet ski for the skies," that won't actually enter production until the end of 2012.

Gamers who sign in to their Games for Windows Live account while playing will receive additional free content including the Boeing Stearman, extra missions and access to achievements and an Online Pilot Profile. Additional content including new aircraft, regions and customization options will be available for purchase.

Applications for the Microsoft Flight closed beta are still being taken, so www.microsoftflight.com [https://connect.microsoft.com/site1134/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=6087&InvitationID=FLY-BRQX-BXTB].

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
GFWL, ugh... That isn't free to play, you'll pay with frustration and your soul.

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
[Deleted after noticing the really bad taste in the joke, sorry]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Microsoft releasing a free-to-play game?

Where are the flying pigs?

Even if it has pay-for DLC its still a remarkable thing in itself. Never mind that Microsoft is even funding a sequel in a franchise that died out.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Flight simulation is back! YES!
Now, it's only a matter of time until I get my beloved Space Simulation games back!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Kaleion said:
Flight simulation is back! YES!
Now, it's only a matter of time until I get my beloved Space Simulation games back!
Flight simulation never went away. X-Planes is still big as hell, and there's FSX and the upcoming Aerofly FS.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I actually still have the disks for this around somewhere, god I feel old now.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I can imagine that hardcore flight sim fans who were waiting expectantly for a new version of MS Flight Sim are going to be angry over it being "casual". I don't mind, and hardcore fans spend hundreds upon hundreds of pounds on joysticks, pedals, radios, and readout panels so a few extra quid for in game items may prove profitable for MS.

Mar 5, 2011
"The game will let players take to the skies over the island of Hawaii..." Well we can throw this one in the trash. What's a flight sim that doesn't take place in the entire world?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Free to play, if you just want to fly around Hawaii? New Regions can be purchased? ... Thanks but I'll stick with Flight Sim X and my FREE addon's. Which makes the entire planet available. Not to mention buying texture upgrade addon's for MSFSX in any case will be cheaper than whatever "microtransactions" microsoft will put in place. This sounds like an absolutely horrific idea. Railwork's bug bit microsoft obviously. So it may be free to play but it could cost upwards of $1,500 if you want all the additions. Nice cheap game ... NOT!