Microsoft is Rolling Out a Military Inspired Xbox One Controller

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft is Rolling Out a Military Inspired Xbox One Controller

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1390/1390391.jpgThere's a new Xbox One controller coming next month, and it's got a decided military flavor.

There are plenty of Xbox One controllers out there, but Microsoft isn't done rolling out options. The company announced today that it will be releasing a new, military-inspired controller next month. Dubbed the Recon Tech Special Edition Controller was "inspired by military technology and performance patterns, exploring concepts stemming from combat armor and sci-fi mechanical gear," Microsoft's Major Nelson wrote on his blog [https://majornelson.com/2017/03/21/introducing-the-xbox-wireless-controller-tech-series/].

The controller was shown off on Twitter [https://twitter.com/AceyBongos/status/844220861632724992/photo/1] by Xbox Social Marketing Manager Graeme Boyd, who posted images seen below. He also highlighted the "Laser-etched grips on the front and rubberized grips on the back." The controller also boats an improved wireless range and Bluetooth support.

If you'd like to get your hands on one of these controllers, the wait won't be long. It's due to release on April 25 with a retail price of $69.99.

[gallery=7074]

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
As nice as some of Microsoft's options for controllers are, unless you're REALLY in need of a wireless controller, just get the Razer Wildcat. Much better control, for only about $40 more.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
As nice as some of Microsoft's options for controllers are, unless you're REALLY in need of a wireless controller, just get the Razer Wildcat. Much better control, for only about $40 more.
...Third party controller....?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm surprised it doesn't come with all the "tacticool" stuff equiped. Not sure what the point of it is either.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Looks more 'half-arsed industrial' as opposed to 'military', but you do you, design/marketing monkeys.
Paragon Fury said:
Or just go all in and get the Elite; those feather-pull magnetic paddles, multiple length sticks and d-pads are rather swish.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Darth Rosenberg said:
you do you, design/marketing monkeys.
I guarantee someone at Microsoft is just throwing shit at the wall at this point to justify their job still existing

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Looks more 'half-arsed industrial' as opposed to 'military', but you do you, design/marketing monkeys.
Paragon Fury said:
Or just go all in and get the Elite; those feather-pull magnetic paddles, multiple length sticks and d-pads are rather swish.
They're nice, but also $60 more than the Razer Wildcat (and don't come with as nice of a warranty). Up to the buyer to decide if $60 extra is worth wireless and accessories.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Poetic Nova said:
I'm surprised it doesn't come with all the "tacticool" stuff equiped. Not sure what the point of it is either.
Raking in the cash from all the military fetishists who get hard-ons the moment they see Battlefield and/or CoD.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Paragon Fury said:
Paragon Fury said:
They're nice, but also $60 more than the Razer Wildcat (and don't come with as nice of a warranty). Up to the buyer to decide if $60 extra is worth wireless and accessories.
After my experience with my last Razer Xbox controller, I wouldn't pay $40 less than this for a Razer controller. The thing lasted about 6 months before failing entirely.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
I don't see how this is Military inspired. These are more Call of Duty inspired which I fine funny because the Master Chief controller is more Military inspired than these are. I'll stick with the Sony, Urban Camo controllers which I have been using since the PS3.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hey, they find a way to make the left thumbstick even more durable and tight and I'm kind of sold. There's one thing I hate about using controllers, and that's how the thumbsticks ALWAYS get loose after a while. I think only the gamecube controller was the only one that didn't wear down really.

Maybe we should revisit that controller...

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
As someone who lives on not just any military base,but the national headquarters of the Royal Canadian Dragoons,and as such is constantly exposed to military hardware...

Microsoft is fucking full of it. That's not military at all.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
From what I remember of military equipment, if it was really military inspired it should have been made in hardened sheet metal, painted in the lowest quality olive drab paint you can find, so it starts chipping off the moment you touch it. The buttons should be a thick, coarse rubber and have enough resistance that you have to put the weight of your entire hand behind each press, as to not press a button by mistake. Not to mention that it should have most of its' manual printed on the backside, complete with images showing you how to handle it, so that you can trust on anyone to pick it up and figure it out.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Given Razer's apparent reputation (and looking at Eurogamer's direct comparison), yeah, it'd seem more sensible to go for an Elite if someone wants a significantly improved pad.

You're not just paying for wireless and the accessories, you're paying for build quality and physical - potentially asymmetrical - tailoring, e.g. on Elite Dangerous both of the tallest sticks provide the best control for 360 ship orientation, but for the usual 3rdP games (be it DA/ME or something like Tomb Raider) that precision isn't necessary on the left so I use the shortest - combine that level of physical tailoring to the curve/sensitivity tailoring in the Accessories App, and you have a very potent means to 'fix' or refine so many games slightly iffy implementation of movement or look sensitivity. Being able to flick between two configured layouts in realtime is also a potentially canny feature, depending on how someone uses it.

It is a costly piece of kit, but you sure as hell get your money's worth (and whilst it's ultimately subjective I think the Wildcat looks ugly as sin. the minimalist black and steel/silver of the Elite's classy and understated).