Microsoft Kills the Zune

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Bah this makes me sad. I went through at least 4 ipods in a 2 year span before I finally said f it and bought a 80 gig zune that was a 100 bucks cheaper than the closest ipod equivalent. I loved that thing. Watchin video on a screen that wasnt the the size of the dpad on my DS, gettin sound quality that was actually good, bein able to take one hell of a beatin because of how clumsy I am while an ipod seemed to break if you held it just a little too hard. Hell, bein able to just turn the radio on when I was at work was amazin. Everythin about the Zune was amazin except one minor issue I had with the Zune platform which was that Microsoft insisted on usin Microsoft points to buy music. Its a lame reason to not buy off of it instead of usin the absolutely godawful itunes, but Microsoft points bug me.

That Zune lasted me a good 4 years before I dropped it one too many times and the hard drive gave out. If I coulda found a Zune in stores at that point I would have replaced it without a second thought. Alas I could not so I've been without an MP3 player for quite some time.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
Ironic Pirate said:
On a side note, sheep actually aren't that stupid, a rather hilarious misconception considering the usage of the term.
I dunno. I live near sheep, and they're dumber than a sock full of rocks. I mean, I could be comparing them to the horses, buffalo, cows, llamas, and more domestic animals, but for all I've seen, they're borderline retarded.
Well yeah, but as far as herding animals go borderline retarded is like a sack of Nobel prizes and entrance into Mensa. I will admit I'm not an expert, there's a few farms near me but none of them have sheep.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
The Zune was still alive???
Honestly the best MP3 player I ever had was a Creative Zen. It had a great screen, customizable menus and backgrounds, a radio, and a rating system. It had everything I wanted!...except it froze constantly.
After I broke the screen one day at school I finally caved and bought an iPod. It's served me well and has yet to break but for the love of god DO I FUCKING HATE ITUNES.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Why would anyone need anything beyond Windows Explorer for managing their music collection?

Infesord

Apr 27, 2010
The company also announced that the Zune HD is now available in Canada through the Zune Originals store. Canada, however, appeared to be largely unaware of this development.
Not aware? No kidding. I actually considered buying a Zune HD back in the day cause I didn't want to get an Ipod anything. But after trying to buy one online I see they wouldn't even SHIP to Canada? What the fuck? I'll pay whatever for shipping. I mean, how hard is it to ship something? I can understand them not opening up a store in Canada but come on.

Oh well, I guess my Apple and my Ipod Touch isn't so bad after all.

acutekat

Nov 2, 2009
Um, I don't think this is entirely correct. Just me, but until Microsoft itself stands up and says "Zune is dead" I'm not buying it. The bloomberg article states that "Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) will stop introducing new versions of the Zune music and video player because of tepid demand, letting the company shift its focus to other devices, according to a person familiar with the decision." this amounts to Vinny down the street told me so. I think Microsoft will shift focus from zune hardware to WP7 but I don't think zune is dead. Microsoft lost millions on the xbox (and I believe still does, not sure though) and continues to push it out just because it can get a place in your living room, If Microsoft thinks that the Zune can eventually wind up in your pocket it will push millions more into it.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
See, when I hear the term "sheep" I assume more along the lines of "Following the herd". It's not that they're stupid, they just go along with everyone else because it's the collective norm.
This man gets it.

Ironic Pirate said:
And I assume you think you're the aloof, superior wolf, right?

On a side note, sheep actually aren't that stupid, a rather hilarious misconception considering the usage of the term.
Isn't that mentality more appropriate for the "Apple Fans" you speak of? They, collectively and usually, seem to think pretty highly of their own "chic" selves. It's cool, and so they're cool dudes, right? I just get rather annoyed by it all, I don't think I'm some cool dude. That would be rather hypocritical, no?

See the above quote by WaaghPowa for the response to the second part of your post.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I've only ever known one person who owned a Zune, but I know quite a few people who use the software.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
HankMan said:
The only product placement I EVER heard for this product was people making fun of it. Did they even make a commercial for it? The Zune was DOA as far as I'm concerned.
I hate to say but that's really the only way I've ever heard of the Zune in the public mind as well. I think they have some commercials but I honestly just don't remember it. I'm not ragging on the people who own Zunes, just saying I don't remember the ad's for them.

Still, sorry to hear that it's being killed for the fans of the Zune, atleast they're keeping the software and stuff up and running.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Shy_Guy said:
WaaghPowa said:
See, when I hear the term "sheep" I assume more along the lines of "Following the herd". It's not that they're stupid, they just go along with everyone else because it's the collective norm.
This man gets it.

Ironic Pirate said:
And I assume you think you're the aloof, superior wolf, right?

Isn't that mentality more appropriate for the "Apple Fans" you speak of? They, collectively and usually, seem to think pretty highly of their own "chic" selves. It's cool, and so they're cool dudes, right? I just get rather annoyed by it all, I don't think I'm some cool dude. That would be rather hypocritical, no?

See the above quote by WaaghPowa for the response to the second part of your post.

Yeah, but everyone does things like that. Apple fans aren't different than anyone else with a hobby or passion, and that most likely includes you. Ever gotten a game at a midnight release date? Same as an apple fan. Ever defended a product you know has flaws? Same as an apple fan. Ever bought something because you trusted the company? Same as an apple fan. Ever looked down on something because of a product they bought? Same as an apple fan.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
Yeah, but everyone does things like that. Apple fans aren't different than anyone else with a hobby or passion, and that most likely includes you. Ever gotten a game at a midnight release date? Same as an apple fan. Ever defended a product you know has flaws? Same as an apple fan. Ever bought something because you trusted the company? Same as an apple fan. Ever looked down on something because of a product they bought? Same as an apple fan.
Everyone is a pompous dick? To some extent, yes. But "Apple Fans" are usually pretty high on the top 10 list.

I have no problem with people who buy an Apple product because they genuinely enjoy it and think it's good. It's the people that just do it to go with the flow or be "cool" that bug me.

Also, defending a product you know has flaws is fine, as long as you actually acknowledge said flaws. Otherwise, you're just a fanboy. Those are the people I have problems with.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I was ever going with all this anymore. Good day to you, Sir.