Microsoft Offers Refunds To Low-Def Minecraft Users

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Joratron666 said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid? Its the fucking year 2012, an age where blu-ray and HD display are the primary ways to view most forms of video. How the hell do people still own SD TV's? This isn't the time of fucking Charlemagne. Microsoft and Mojang shouldn't be offering refunds to people who refuse to move forward with the times. Yeah, I couldn't read the text for Dead Rising when it came out on my SDTV, know what I did? I didn't demand a refund, I went out and bought a HDTV. Get with the times!
There's, like, an entire lower to lower-middle class group of people who live week to week, you know--meaning they have to wait for their pay cheque every week to buy food and pay bills 'cause they have no money. It's pretty rude to act as if they are choosing to not have these nice things when they simply aren't as lucky as us.

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
yeah i remember last year i was still using a hand me down sd tv... it sucked it made noise.... was huge.... it was bad lol....

but yeah the irony here is absurd... minecraft requiring an hd tv...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wow. I've seen HD TVs on sale for cheaper than bottles of booze. How is this still a thing?

Also, Minecraft in HD is causing all of my wide-eyed giggles.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Joratron666 said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid? Its the fucking year 2012, an age where blu-ray and HD display are the primary ways to view most forms of video. How the hell do people still own SD TV's? This isn't the time of fucking Charlemagne. Microsoft and Mojang shouldn't be offering refunds to people who refuse to move forward with the times. Yeah, I couldn't read the text for Dead Rising when it came out on my SDTV, know what I did? I didn't demand a refund, I went out and bought a HDTV. Get with the times!
You know I can't afford a hd tv I have school to pay and other bills and before that I didn't have a job so how can I get with the times when getting with the times cost me as much as two classes at school or a months worth of bills so I'll keep my shitty tv that still has a vcr attached to it and play minecraft on it even if I can't read shit or play split screen I got plenty of friends online to play with

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Joratron666 said:
Because being poor and not being able to afford an HD TV means they shouldn't get a refund! How dare they spend the little money they get on more important items.

Growing up in a relatively low-income family for my whole life, this comment just sickens me.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
How is the Def of your TV stop you from playing split screen?
That is very easy to answer, my good sir.

In the case of my TV, it kinda gives a glare to every single object. When you reduce the object's size to, let's say, 1/4 of it (4 co-op), it's really hard to tell what item you're holding and it's especially troublesome if you're trying to see your inventory. So you could easily mistake a bone of a feather. Or gravel for cobblestone. It's just like reducing an average-sized image on your computer.

It's not like it makes it impossible for you to play the game; I'll take lame graphics over lag any day of the week. But you know, it makes it kinda difficult to play.

Joratron666 said:
My god, you're right. I'll just not go to college this semester and I'll buy a TV! :D

The problem is that people assume that because we play videogames, we can afford to just buy a TV at any given time. In my case, I don't own that many games and I had to save a long time to buy a PS3. If I want a new game, I gotta start thinking about selling games and stuff.
Yeah, I could replace my 32 in. SDTV for a 15 in. HDTV and just put it in my living room. I know I could afford that if I tried. But that's just dumb, isn't it? I mean, assuming I want a big TV in my living room for my gaming needs and you know...my family and friends who do something else other than play videogames. Not only that but my SDTV works just fine. So no, I'm not gonna get rid of it just because of that. Once it stops working fine, we'll talk (I've had it for about 8 years now, so...)

Assuming an average HDTV is worth around the same price as a PS3, let's pretend companies are now asking you to buy a PS3 (Or an Xbox, whatever) for your gaming needs. Oh, wait. Most people don't have those two systems?! And they dare call themselves gamers?! Come ON! Get in with the times, people! You could easily afford one if you wanted to. No, I don't care if your current console works fine for you. It's just not normal! What are you, a caveman? Are you still playing Pong or what?

Your comment makes you sound arrogant and shallow. I'm sure you've got the point now.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
This reminds me of how people started complaining in forums when PC games moved from CD to DVD. I remember people talking about how their good old CD drive worked fine and that they were furious about having to buy a DVD drive (which wasn't expensive at that time IIRC).

BTW, you don't have to buy an HDTV. You can do just fine with an HD monitor.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Beautiful End said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
How is the Def of your TV stop you from playing split screen?
That is very easy to answer, my good sir.

In the case of my TV, it kinda gives a glare to every single object. When you reduce the object's size to, let's say, 1/4 of it (4 co-op), it's really hard to tell what item you're holding and it's especially troublesome if you're trying to see your inventory. So you could easily mistake a bone of a feather. Or gravel for cobblestone. It's just like reducing an average-sized image on your computer.

It's not like it makes it impossible for you to play the game; I'll take lame graphics over lag any day of the week. But you know, it makes it kinda difficult to play.
Oh, by how the article is worded I thought it was physical impossible to play, that somehow that having a SD TV actually prevented you from playing split screen.

My bad. :p

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm shocked at how many people are playing 360 on an SD tv. Daily I see people who are on foodstamps that have an HD TV... though maybe there's a connection there.

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
Lemme break it down for you guys. Technically, I fall in the low-income family bracket. But since I work landscaping I make roughly $600 a week (15$/h). Minimum wage itself is at $10.50 in Canada, and the Canadian dollar is actually stronger than the U.S (but that's not entirely relevant.) Since I have not really a good job, but a well paying job I am able to save for college (bout 4000 a year), chip in $200 a week to help with bills and have a decent chunk left over for games. Every now and again I'll splurge on say a HDTV, a gaming system (WiiU's coming out soon). Being a gamer I know that it is a hooby (for me it's a lifestyle) that is not cheap. The nature of the evolution of the medium requires better hardware as time progresses my old laptop can't run games like Old Republic and Diablo so I miss out on those games. But if I bought a game like Diablo and it wouldn't run on my laptop I wouldn't demand a refund, I would have to evolve with the times. It's the very nature of human evolution! So I find it kind of a weak argument that because people are poor that we have to for some reason forgive them for trying to keep up in a meduim that demands a growing income to survive. Like people ***** and complain when a game is released and it's not in HD, or the graphics are less than lifelike, and when a game that has no buisness being in HD gives the people what they want, the people at the back of the line start complaining that they can't see it? These game companies are damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Any way, where was I going with this...