Microsoft Offers The Walking Dead Episode 1 for Free

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
For 10 bucks it might be worth it for people into interactive fiction. For anyone else I'd say it's a pretty average title, with some extremely annoying QTEs, some half-arsed puzzling and a decent story.

It's basically a title about clicking through the story and getting minor responses to the options you pick. Choices is a big word to use, considering that they are pretty shallow and the player will generally dont get the time or enough information to actually make a deliberate choice. Sometimes I felt that the most obvious and sensible options was omitted to create a false sense drama.

The puzzle parts are mostly pixel hunting, with very few options or objects to interact with.

I enjoyed chapter 1. Got annoyed with the very limited mechanics in chapter 2. The most prominent emotion I got was indifference. I doubt I will play more of it. For this kind of experience with emphasis on narrative I'd recommend Alan Wake instead or even check out an oldie like Longest Journey.

If this is a GOTY this has been a poor year indeed. But I can find dozens of much more worthy titles than this mediocre attempt.

ironduke88

Mar 20, 2010
I would to say that the game is great; but there are some bugs that ruin the game, and TellTale have no intention of fixing them. I can't get to the end of the story without the bugs rewriting all of my story choices.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
It's too bad that the game has been virtually unplayable for me.

Great story, but awful awful AWFUL game play, however.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Meh, maybe when I don't feel like I'm being baited like a fish I'll give it a try.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
thesilentman said:
Free?

Free?!!

Can we get an apology for us Linux users, MS? You can start by supporting Skype on Linux and lifting your Secure Boot restrictions.

OT- Well, that's a change from MS's usual money grabbing scheme. Good on those guys. I have yet to play The Walking Dead as I missed it as I went for other games.
It's such an annoying thing, isn't it? It really wouldn't take that much effort on their part, if it's all already coded for windows.
And don't even get me started on the steaming pile of bull that is Secure Boot.
It's only free for the Xbox anyway, so PC users are also outa luck.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I did not miss this opportunity. It took me two days to get through all five episodes. I was totally engrossed. I voted for Mass Effect 3. I wish I had played this before. I would have voted this for sure.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Any word on releasing the damn thing in Australia yet? Or will I still have to spend $200 on PC upgrades and play it on Steam?