Microsoft Patents the Holodeck

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Looks like they finally got there, Dilbert.

Of course, being written in 1994, ten years is a reasonable time to expect massive technological advancements. Imagine what we'll have by 2022!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
firstly I am surprised apple did not patent it first. Secondly number one make it so!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
chozo_hybrid said:
It has to be able to malfunction and cause historic people to run amok.

Otherwise it's not a real holodeck!
It's Microsoft. Just wait for Windows for Holodeck ME; you'll get your wish.
Soon I shall team up with Evil Lincoln and we shall go do... Evil things!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
been waiting for this ever since i saw the first projected game frankly,
when it launches i will buy it
definitely not a gimmick if they can get it working respectably

heh, solve media : nice job
indeed.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Neat idea. Tap my shoulder when it's more than that. Until then, I'll be enjoying video games the old fashioned way.

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
*insane post about patent trolling
Look, I can see where you are coming from, but I think they might be planning this. Just because it MIGHT be something due to happen in about never, does not make it certain. I am really excited for this, it looks absolutely amazing, and they have the concepts down flat. For all we know, they could be working on it now, but even if they are not, the fact that they have patented and outlined their idea is enough to make me think they are planning something for the future.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
esperandote said:
Yeah, this won't induce nausea at all.
Heh, my first thought. As if I haven't had enough trouble with the games coming out today, I can tell my days as a gamer are almost up. Until they make the actual holodeck, I'm probably going to be a non-gamer in 5 years.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
It'll be a massive failure until Apple steals it, makes it shiny, and turns a massive profit.

The Microsoft version would still be cheaper and have more features, but will eventually fade into obscurity.

Roger Ebert would then claim that it would be physically impossible to portray real art with it.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
as some people had said in different forums "I'm happy I have a big empty white room with no windows waiting for this" :S I never really got into Kinect because of the space issue and I'm sure this next gen tech will have similar problems

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
chozo_hybrid said:
It has to be able to malfunction and cause historic people to run amok.

Otherwise it's not a real holodeck!
It's Microsoft. Just wait for Windows for Holodeck ME; you'll get your wish.
Not really, Windows for Holodeck ME edition would crash FAR too frequently to seriously pose a threat to anything.

"Holodeck Vista, a Microsoft Windows product" on the other hand? End of civilisation.

Which is probably for the best, Windows Holodeck 8 would destroy the universe if it were created.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I couldn't help but read that in a creepy sort of we-need-to-figure-out-a-way-to-make-them-more-addicted way. "Give usss your moneyyyy," in some strange darkly suggestive whisper. Eugh. Maybe I'm just pessimistic today?

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
Now if only those sensors picked up light reception and you could actually engage a target that wasn't at the focal point. For example you see an Elite over your right shoulder and using your controller (synced with motion capture) your crosshairs are taken from the display center to the area you are facing to engage them and send him/her back to whence they came.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
That's not a holodeck real holodecks use force fields and light particles. That is a game that's projected on the wall in ultra wide-screen so it has 180 degree viewing. This is all the technological advancement of combining an IMAX and a overhead projectors.

You lied to me Escapist! You lie! I have fury!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Interactive media experiences, such as videogames, are commonly delivered by a high quality, high resolution display," the company's patent for an "Immersive Display Experience" states. "Even when focused on the display, the user may perceive architectural and decorative features of the room the display is in via the user's peripheral vision. Such features are typically out of context with respect to the displayed image, muting the entertainment potential of the media experience. Further, because some entertainment experiences engage the user's situation awareness, the ability to perceive motion and identify objects in the peripheral environment may intensify the entertainment experience."
You can tell that people who say stuff like that don't actually play games because if they did they'd know that if the game is good enough then that isn't an issue. At least to me it isn't anyway.
Besides, this is a far cry from a Holodeck.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
jbm1986 said:
[HEADING=1] SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY![/HEADING]

Can't wait to see a live demo of this!
Just saying, but them patenting it means that they figure it'd be a cool idea if they'd build it some day - not much more.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
How long until a working prototype must be shown til a patent loses it's legal backing?

Because I seriously have no idea... it could be as frivolous as copyright laws these'a days.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
First of all, isn't "holodeck" a trademark? Or even reserved? Anyway, I doubt Microsoft would call it the "holodeck." For it's peripherals they like to keep it simple. Maybe they'd call it Touch.

I dunno...ten years min for this to appear? Lots of ideas come and go without even a simple blueprint of the damn thing. As the article said, I'm not holding my breath for anything, much less anything decent.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Wish we could just get that Matrix sort of thing where you just plug a cable right into your neck/brain or whatever and go into a digital world. I will pay all my money to get one of those for sure.