Microsoft Patents the Holodeck

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
And when Microsoft finally does make this, they will only use it for casual games where flailing your arms is the only way to have your movements registered.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
My first impression was "This seems like patent trolling."
Then I realized: This patent will probably be expired by the time this is actually worth patent trolling.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Blablahb said:
How can you possibly patent something as vague as that? American patents are crazy.
My thoughts exactly. Have they seriously just stopped everyone from being able to make surround projection screens? Haven't those actually been around for ages anyway? (certain art installations come to mind in particular)

Imagine if something similar was done for sound... do you think a company/person could actually have gotten away with it I wonder? (serious question)

'this patent protects our concept for a form of sound technology emanating from either sophisticated headphones or multiple speakers positioned around a room to emulate the directionality of a 3d sound environment'.

?

RobDaBank

Nov 16, 2011
Looks like I'm bricking up the window to my spare room and painting it all black to get the best effect :)

Because honestly, without total darkness, projectors are crap.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
My problem with this is that its yet another diversion getting in the way of tri monitor & surround view systems that will eliminate the need for 3rd person perspective... if it could only become standardized.

Now the idea... Yeah, I like it. Sounds exhorbitantly expensive with low return on investment. But it could potentially be cool. However one thing I didnt see that would need to be key or the whole thing is pointless is omnidirectional treadmill system. It Seriously will not make a difference how motion controlled it is, or how the view scope is.. Until you can walk without running into a wall, its going to be limited and still hold something that pulls you out of potential immersion.

A bigger version of this would work too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cybercarpet_walk.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnidirectional_treadmill

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I seem to recall they did something very similar to this in Fahrenheit 451... something about society being doomed, and ignorance running rampant... *looks outside* oh, never-mind... carry on.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
So you have to dedicate a whole room just to this? A room with as little furniture as possible. Unless every game can incorporate your bookcases, wall decoration, windows....

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Microsoft, it is logical that you shut up and take my money. Right now.

Now if only you can get on the spaceship that can get us into the next solar system...

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
...which is why you should not be able to file a patent for something unless you can provide a prototype.

Anyways, my TV, the fireplace and a big clock are against the only wall in my living room where putting a TV makes sense. The wall to the right is dominated by a huge picture window. The "wall" to the left is mostly a huge open doorway to the kitchen (open concept floor layout). The "wall" behind is mostly staircase and is pretty useless as far as peripheral vision goes. This layout isn't really all that uncommon. I'm not sure how much value a system like Microsoft describes in their patent would be in my setup.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Jet packs: check
Holodeck: check
Now where are the hover cars and space colonies?
And lightsabers, don't forget those. Holodeck sounds like star wars technology.

This is a little extreme but if Microsoft can pull something like this off then more power to them.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
DonTsetsi said:
So you have to dedicate a whole room just to this? A room with as little furniture as possible. Unless every game can incorporate your bookcases, wall decoration, windows....
Don't worry brah, I hear Microsoft makes those too. /badjoke

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
my guess is that all of you who are actually excited about this read the word holodeck and were instantly inflicted with nerd-tunnel vision, its a 360 degree projector for your living room. so unless you are going to move your couch and tv stand and all the other crap out of your room, it is going to be projecting onto those things, and as such look really fucking dumb. they cant make your couch invisible by projecting an image onto it.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone else reminded of the Parlor Walls from Fahrenheit 451?

It was inevitable I suppose.

Ray Bradbury, you were surely the prophet of our modern age.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Microsoft patents something that breaks down every other episode? Why am I not surprised at all?

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Blablahb said:
How can you possibly patent something as vague as that? American patents are crazy.
I think they're just patenting the name "Holodeck". Aren't they? Other companies/people can still make them, they just have to be changed slightly and not called a holodeck. Like the Wii controller and the PS Move.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Microsoft patented the holodeck. No wonder it malfunctioned so much on Star Trek!

Yes, I'm well aware that was a very cheap shot. Seriously though, I hope they find a way to make it safer than it was on the show.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
In order to be a proper holodeck, it needs to create a near-infinite environment by placing a forcefield under your feet to create a near-infinite enviornment which prevents death and can create any object for you to use at will.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This is going to be so awesome!!!
here's a video from youtube with two annoying nerds discussing about it.