Microsoft Raising Gold Subscription Prices

ThatOneFoxShane

Oct 15, 2010
What do you guys think about Microsoft raising the prices of their Gold subscriptions for Xbox Live?

Here are the current and new prices.

Current:

1 Month - $7.99
3 Months - $19.99
1 Year + 1 Month - $49.99

New:

1 Month - $9.99
3 Months - $24.99
1 Year + 1 Month - $59.99

Thoughts?

I personally think that this is a kick in the nuts to every Xbox Live Gold subscriber out there.

EDIT: Did I mention that these new prices start on November 1st?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
I can just imagine the Microsoft conference room.

Guy A: So, the PS3 is really starting to get popular, how will we defend our sales?
Guy B: Hmm, maybe we could lower the pri-
Guy C: We should make our online subscription more expensive!
Guy B: Are you joking? That stu-
Guy A: Excellent idea! Have a promotion.

ThatOneFoxShane

Oct 15, 2010
@Jaranja

I know, right? If anything, I was expecting a price DROP on those subscriptions. What the hell is up with this? I mean, how many of those user actually take advantage of ALL of the Gold features? I'm pretty sure that the majority of those players just buy it for online multiplayer.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
more reason for me to not get gold, hell I have a gaming pc, paying to play multi is stupid to me

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Ignoring the fact that old news is old, they are adding nothing and expecting more from it. That is not good business. This is just greed and/or has something to do with licenses for that sports streaming thing from E3, which won't come to the UK but they still want to put up the one month member ship to £5.99 (up from what I do not know, I do not have one).

Either way, absurd pricing is absurd.

Calumon: Cheevos? They sound nice... Jack, can I have a Cheevo?

ThatOneFoxShane

Oct 15, 2010
@Jack and Calumon

As if Microsoft doesn't have enough money already, right? This is one of THE worst moves Microsoft has ever made.

dabronc7

Jul 16, 2009
While I would rather not pay a higher price for online, Microsoft is going about this with their audience in mind. They are allowing people with current subscriptions to re-up at the same price they currently pay and other offers like 6-months at the current price plus 1200 microsoft points. Also, they will be adding features like ESPN 3 streaming, live video chat and adding high definition to their previous features. So, if you look at it, unless you are just getting into live in november this won't affect you.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Okay, this will sound controversial to most, but I knew this would get a bad reaction from people. And the sole reason is that people just don't understand the logistics here.

First, this was announced ages ago, so the OP is already late to the party. And I posted in the news thread back then my opinion, and exactly why this is a GOOD idea. Besides which, Microsoft haven't raised prices for XBL before, so while their costs have gone up with inflation (because you know, running such a service does cost money for them...), prices for gamers have stayed relatively low. So nobody has any right to complain here about the price being raised when they've so far had it fairly good. Anyway, here's my post from the last time this was discussed:

Trivun said:
Personally, I predict a lot of people will be complaining, but all things considered, given the economic climate, the popularity of Xbox Live, and the fact that the prices haven't already risen yet with inflation (while most other things, including game prices, have over the years), I see this as a sensible move from Microsoft. I'm happy to pay an extra pound sterling per month for XBL, and since I plan to get the 12-month subscription anyway when I do get around to having a permanent internet connection, it doesn't affect me anyway. But even then, as long as it wasn't a massive price hike (something like £10 extra would be fine, but any more would be pushing it and just plain greedy), I wouldn't have a problem with higher prices for the year subscription either. At the end of the day, XBL is arguably the best platform around for internet gaming that isn't to do with a PC, and the prices so far have been worth the cost. A small price increase is a small price, as it were, to pay for the great service Microsoft provides with XBL.
My point is, that people are complaining over absolutely nothing. So stop moaning, and just suck it up. I'm an Xbox owner myself, for the record, and we've had it good so far. If you don't like having to pay for something, then just go without. It's not that hard to figure out.

ThatOneFoxShane

Oct 15, 2010
@dabronc7

I noticed that they added a TWO-year Gold subscription to their list of options for a very limited time. Is that still going on or no?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
ThatOneFoxShane said:
@Jack and Calumon

As if Microsoft doesn't have enough money already, right? This is one of THE worst moves Microsoft has ever made.
I refer you to my previous post. Which explains exactly why this is a good idea. And also that Microsoft aren't really benefiting that much given that with inflation, over the past few years they've actually been making less money per user by keeping prices the same while their costs continue to rise. It takes a hell of a lot of money to pay for something like XBL. Customer service (which before anyone argues, I've dealt with MS Customer Service on several occasions before and they've given me the best service any company has ever given me, every single time. Especially when my Xbox RRoDed...), server costs, admin costs, developing new content and services, etc.

It does take up a lot of resources financially, you know. So stop moaning.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
This is old news, and $10 isn't the much more. If you are actually distraught about that small of a price increase, gaming should not be your hobby. Gaming is expensive. Get over it. It doesn't really matter for the consumer, that's what, one game every six years? WOW. That's a lot.

ThatOneFoxShane

Oct 15, 2010
@Trivun

I KNOW I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to get peoples thoughts because I haven't had a chance to ask anyone what they thought of it yet. Personally, I'm okay with only one of the new prices going up, which is the one year + one month subscription. I don't think $59.99 for thirteen months is that bad. That's a lot of time of not having to worry about renewing a subscription. The prices I'm NOT okay with are the one and three-month subscriptions.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
ThatOneFoxShane said:
@Jack and Calumon

Click quote, not reply. That way people will get a message saying you are talking to them, like you will get 'cos I quoted you.

Jaranja said:

Guy A: So, the PS3 is really starting to get popular, how will we defend our sales?
I am thinking more like.

Head of finances - "we only made £12 million last year"
Head of company - "WHAT!? Right increase the prices of gold!"
Everybody sat around the table - *thinks* "Oh, shit this isn't going to go well"
Head of finances - "... Okay".

ThatOneFoxShane

Oct 15, 2010
omega 616 said:
ThatOneFoxShane said:
@Jack and Calumon

Click quote, not reply. That way people will get a message saying you are talking to them, like you will get 'cos I quoted you.

Jaranja said:

I am thinking more like.

Head of finances - "we only made £12 million last year"
Head of company - "WHAT!? Right increase the prices of gold!"
Everybody sat around the table - *thinks* "Oh, shit this isn't going to go well"
Head of finances - "... Okay".
Thanks for the tip.

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
Big fucking deal, it's a two dollar increase a month for me. If I were so desperate that I couldn't afford that, I would just go back to my silver account.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Trivun said:
Okay, this will sound controversial to most, but I knew this would get a bad reaction from people. And the sole reason is that people just don't understand the logistics here.

First, this was announced ages ago, so the OP is already late to the party. And I posted in the news thread back then my opinion, and exactly why this is a GOOD idea. Besides which, Microsoft haven't raised prices for XBL before, so while their costs have gone up with inflation (because you know, running such a service does cost money for them...), prices for gamers have stayed relatively low. So nobody has any right to complain here about the price being raised when they've so far had it fairly good. Anyway, here's my post from the last time this was discussed:

Trivun said:
Personally, I predict a lot of people will be complaining, but all things considered, given the economic climate, the popularity of Xbox Live, and the fact that the prices haven't already risen yet with inflation (while most other things, including game prices, have over the years), I see this as a sensible move from Microsoft. I'm happy to pay an extra pound sterling per month for XBL, and since I plan to get the 12-month subscription anyway when I do get around to having a permanent internet connection, it doesn't affect me anyway. But even then, as long as it wasn't a massive price hike (something like £10 extra would be fine, but any more would be pushing it and just plain greedy), I wouldn't have a problem with higher prices for the year subscription either. At the end of the day, XBL is arguably the best platform around for internet gaming that isn't to do with a PC, and the prices so far have been worth the cost. A small price increase is a small price, as it were, to pay for the great service Microsoft provides with XBL.
My point is, that people are complaining over absolutely nothing. So stop moaning, and just suck it up. I'm an Xbox owner myself, for the record, and we've had it good so far. If you don't like having to pay for something, then just go without to PS3. It's not that hard to figure out.
Fixed that for you.

PS3 servers seem to be regarded as these laggy things with absolutely no features, when actually I have no problems with them. I know none of the features 'cos I use it to play online, not mess around in "home" or something.

Just for future reference, what are these great XBL features that are often the reason you pay for it?