Microsoft Rejected Heavy Rain Due To Child Abduction Plot

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Though this is David Cage we're talking about and I've always found his opinions and philosophies to be very suspect. Heavy Rain just wasn't very good and its attempts to be "mature" kind of exposed just how juvenile it really was.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
cainx10a said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
008Zulu said:
I have heard many great things of this game, but one game alone is not sufficient justification for a console. Maybe they will do a PC release?
Infamous 1 and 2
Ratchet and Clank series
God of War series
Disgaea series
Gran Turismo series

plenty of reasons to play PS3.
Heh, I only bought a PS3 to play Gundam Extreme VS. (Since I am a huge fan of the series.)

Sure, over time it became my "main" gaming console alongside the Vita, but the library of the PS3 is definitely as solid as my X360 library. :)

Infamous is a brilliant series. Only issue I had was with Cole and hygiene? Poor guy not being able to shower anymore, that's just sad. :(
Hundred of lemon fresh dry wipes :)

Also, Extreme Vs is bloody amazing, and I want to import it ASAP.
It's only $40 these days :D

Full Boost is looking amazing, the amount of new suits is just freaking awesome. + I like how they are not rushing to release it on console until they have finished adding more content to the arcade game. Hopefully it will be on current-gen consoles, and not just the PS4. :(

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
porous_shield said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Maybe they refused it for being a crappy FMV game?
But Heavy Rain isn't an FMV game. FMV stand for full motion video when Heavy Rain is done in engine with polygons. Police Quest 4 was a fmv game but not Heavy Rain.
Might as well be with the limited gameplay and all.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Saucycarpdog said:
Vrach said:
Tony2077 said:
speaking of heavy rain i'm wondering if i should get it
I'd recommend it. I got PS3 relatively recently mostly for the exclusives and Heavy Rain was one of the things I really wanted to play, so I had high expectations of it. The game definitely delivered. I'm the sort of guy who hates QTEs and while I can't say I loved that aspect of it, it didn't bother me much and I even enjoyed most of it as they kinda sorta made sense. Being still quite new to the console controls when I played it, I didn't have too much trouble with them and the game never punished me too much for it.

So yeah, again - get it imo. It's a one shot game, doesn't really have replayability as it's all about telling that story, but the game's been out for a while now, so you can get it cheap anyway.

OT: Microsoft are idiots. If you're scared of publishing a game like this, you don't deserve to be a publisher at all. I'm not saying that out of some fanboish love for Heavy Rain - the fact is, the game tells a great story, doesn't glorify any violence or anything and there's nothing to be "afraid of" here unless you have no interest in games other than making money from them. And that's clearly all Microsoft sees in this medium.
You're right, that sounds more like fanboish love for Sony, not heavy rain.

And it is still up to system creators if they want a game on their system or not. Nintendo probably didn't want this on wii, does that make them a "bad" publisher as you say? If that's the case, Sony "turning down" backwards compatibility for the new PS3's makes them a bad console maker.
Nah, no fanboish love for Sony at all, I've only had the system less than a year now, I'm a PC gamer. Got it from a friend as I wanted to play some exclusives that weren't on PC, particularly stuff like Journey, Heavy Rain, SoTC etc. I will admit I like some things Sony does, like their PS+ and I do enjoy their exclusives, though I'd be happier if they weren't exclusives and I could just play them on a PC (I can understand the business logic behind them though and it leads to good games being made).

And of course it's up to the system creators if they want a game on their system. There is however a matter of why they don't want the game there. And the reasons described in this article are idiotic. Firstly, there's a giant difference between the game being "about kidnapping children" and the game being "about a child getting kidnapped". Note, I'm not using quotation marks to say that's what they've said, I'm using it to illustrate a difference between two very different kinds of games. I'd understand the former being banned for questionable content, but the latter really doesn't have much for a publisher to be scared of, assuming it's done right (and it is).

Secondly, Xbox has a ton of violent games that have all kinds of "unsavory" things in them. The difference is, Microsoft knows those games will make money. A different game like Heavy Rain though is not a sure hitter and taking a chance when it involves a sensitive subject is something Microsoft doesn't want to do. Ie. quite clearly, they only care about their bottom line.