Microsoft Reveals Halo 4 Launch Date

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
The title should be: MS reveals Halo 4 date, and MovieBob blows a gasket about it on twitter!".

Because: "Halo 4 releasing on election day? Holy shit. Obama camp in minor panic-mode right now, garaunteed." and "Seriously, the Romney campaign could not have ASKED for a better solution to keeping the youth vote away from the polls. #Halo4"...

Now THERE's your discussion value on this topic!

My two cents: Person of voting age goes to pick up Halo 4, votes on the way there - doesn't sound impossible... Take 15 mins out of your day, then go frag after. Not too much to ask, I hope.
Now would could a giant mega-corporation gain from sabotaging the democratic vote... oh.. right.. Reaganomics.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I do really hope Halo can continue to do very well. For all the hate it gets from people, it's always been a series that doesn't treat its players like idiots with excessively linear environments and stupid AI companions that sprint up ahead and do that "hey, over here!" shout every time you clear a room.

But it has been a franchise for a long time, so i understand people that are "Halo'd out".

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
You know, I see a lot of people worried over the fact that it's not made by Bungie, but the way I see it is that if there was any other developer to be making Halo, it's 343, especially since a good chunk of that team is made up of people formerly from Bungie anyway.
But that *does* bring up the worrying question for me: Does that mean they're going to make a genuinely good game, or that it's going suck slightly less than what other developers would have done?
PLEASE be the former.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
As a longtime fan of Halo, I really.

REALLY.

REALLY.

hope this doesn't fail.

I mean, 343i has done some questionable things, such as the recent Halo Reach TU rechanges and their announcement of 'loadouts' in Halo 4's Multiplayer, but overall... it still looks good.

I'm dubious about the plot, what with Forerunners suddenly being alive and well and Elites wanting to suddenly kill you despite Halo 2 and Halo 3, but I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

I mean... this really is their debut title. They can't screw this up.

... Right?

Packadurm

Jun 7, 2011
You know, I really don't like the halo series, but with the severe lack of decent sci-fi games and shows and movies out there nowadays I'm actually looking forward to this... I might actually get an xbox if it looks good enough. So tired of crappy games based on modern warfare. I miss the old days of Battlefield 2142!

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Packadurm said:
You know, I really don't like the halo series, but with the severe lack of decent sci-fi games and shows and movies out there nowadays I'm actually looking forward to this... I might actually get an xbox if it looks good enough. So tired of crappy games based on modern warfare. I miss the old days of Battlefield 2142!
Seems the industry is behind you:
Tribes: Ascend (available now)
Firefall (currently in Beta, releasing soon)
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (releasing in May)
and now, of course, Halo 4.

...good stuff.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Why couldn't they make a game without Master Chief and Cortana?!

My favourite games in the series are ODST and Reach purely because they're not in it.

Ace2401

May 9, 2011
"Confronting his destiny" and "saving the universe", eh? Well then what the heck was Halo 3? If that wasn't his destiny, then JEEZ, they'll have to have something really epic to top it. My outlook towards this game's potential quality remains dubious, and that's coming from someone who's enjoyed this series since its very beginning.

Captcha: hobby-horse ...they're on to me... *shifty eyes*

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Wow, thanks 343. Let's just encourage more young people to stay home and play xbox instead of getting out and voting. Way to go, guys.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Cautiously optimistic.

They did a great job at making Halo: CE look great again. It's been the only "HD Remake" that's been truly HD.

I would hope they would put in that kind of care and devotion into a new Halo game.

We'll see.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Terramax said:
Serious question - do that many people still buy Halo games? It seems as if the franchise has taken a backseat since Modern Warefare and Battlefield made serious waves.

Anniversary barely got any hype at all here in the UK. I thought maybe people were all halo'd out.
Well, Halo has only had... what, 5 main games in the series in eleven years? Meanwhile, Call of Duty has constantly seen a major release every single year since 2007. Frankly, new Halo announcements always make me think, "oh hey, it's Halo!" as apposed to "oh God not more Halo"... I mean, I'm not the biggest Halo fan, and I've often spoken out against its rabid fanbase and its purposed milking of its franchise, but that doesn't mean their main releases have realistic timeframes. It's a reasonable franchise of games.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Hopefully 343 can bring back that true Halo multiplayer feel. If not, it'll just be another 2 weeks until I get bored and trade in the game *cough* REACH *cough*

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I really don't like the marketing/tagline of Halo 4. WAY too generic and interest-killing. The main Halo trilogy did a great job of downplaying the Master Chief's status of Savior while still acknowledging you're the best hope humanity has.

Honestly, the WORST parts of the Halo series are the books and to a degree, Halo: Reach. To me, the books would have ruined the series if I'd paid them any heed because they derailed the two main characters: Master Chief, and the Prophets.

The Master Chief was derailed because he was defined as a person: Previously, he was a projectable Player avatar much like Gordon Freeman (But with fewer Annoying Fans worshiping him at every turn in-game), and trying to make him some kind of "John-316" with actual character traits (Good leader my ass!) and background.

They also derailed the prophets by making them generic "Corrupt Church Leaders" instead of being the genuinely enthusiastic zealots they were presented as in-game (I was particularly affected by Truth's dying words). Dooms-day cults are FAR more interesting when the leaders believe in their cause earnestly as well.

Also... I hate everything about the tagline in the game because it discredits the original trilogy: Master Chief already fulfilled his destiny and saved the universe: trying to top that is the exact wrong thing to do: Instead of trying to pitch him into another war, they should have taken a nod from Homer, and follow the galactic war up with an Odyssey for the Master Chief instead of another fricken' "Save the universe!" moment.

Captcha: "Beats Me"

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
As long as its not another Reach, I'll buy it. Why? Because Halo is a good series, they just sort of pulled a Ubisoft/Assassins Creed thing. Yeah it was a great idea, yes they built off it beautifully but it got distorted and ruined by stupid ideas. Hopefully they come back to the good ideas though.

I will fucking stab someone if they fuck it up.

Halo doesn't need to develop characters (Reach showed us that), it needs to create a universe filled with a reality in which a player can step into and feel like a hero.