Microsoft: Second-hand Games Are Part of Industry "Ecosystem"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Microsoft: Second-hand Games Are Part of Industry "Ecosystem"

Microsoft vice president Chris Lewis has recognized used game sales as part of gaming's economic "ecosystem," but expects developers to use workarounds like digital distribution to circumvent the retailers.

Used-games continue to stir trouble between the different links in the game industry chain. Developers and publishers see falling profits at their own business while retail sales soar as evidence enough that the storefronts are profiting off of trade-ins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87678-GameStop-CEO-Says-Restricting-Used-Game-Sales-Is-Bad-For-Everyone] at the industry's expense [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85956-Pre-Owned-Games-A-Critical-Situation-For-EA].

Smart publishers, says Microsoft's Chris Lewis, will be those who recognize used game's role in the marketplace will be able to adopt profitable publishing models.

"I'm a fan of the ecosystem overall," Lewis stated to GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/lewis-second-hand-games-are-part-of-the-ecosystem]. "I can see the positive in it, because I can see that what you then get is more and more people touching, playing, experiencing a game that they may not otherwise have access to."

Lewis understands the used-game market can't be closed (flea markets and garage sales thrive on peddling old goods), especially because "certain retailers are very focused and spend a lot of time on it. It's good business for them."

"I think things like premium downloadable content, and that kind of thing, will ultimately play a part in used games - and that's not me saying that it's a great way for us to try and minimise that," he explained on Microsoft's strategy to raise game revenues amidst a growing used-games market. "I think it will be a great enhancement to the way that people experience games. If some additionally content is available via the Xbox Live service, for instance, that further enriches the game experience and might encourage folks to hang on their games for a bit longer."

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Wow, finally someone in the industry has something sane to say about used games. For a gamer on a budget like myself, used copies of game are a life saver, allowing me to purchase titles that would normally be out of reach.

You could no more halt sales of used games than you could that of used cars or CDs. I'm glad to hear that at least some people realize that instead of making idiotic statements like, "Our employees [at Epic Games] aren't allowed to buy used games."

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
That actually warmed my heart a little there. Glad to see a corporate type who actually respects his customers instead of whines about how twice as many people played his game than bought it (I'm looking at you, Epic!).

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Wow, finally someone in the industry has something sane to say about used games. For a gamer on a budget like myself, used copies of game are a life saver, allowing me to purchase titles that would normally be out of reach.

You could no more halt sales of used games than you could that of used cars or CDs. I'm glad to hear that at least some people realize that instead of making idiotic statements like, "Our employees [at Epic Games] aren't allowed to buy used games."
level250geek said:
That actually warmed my heart a little there. Glad to see a corporate type who actually respects his customers instead of whines about how twice as many people played his game than bought it (I'm looking at you, Epic!).
Didn't the SEGA suit say almost the same thing (regarding used games) a few days ago?

EDIT: Yeah, he did. But it was a couple weeks ago (even worse 'cuz it seems like he copied SEGA's exec)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89104-Sega-Exec-Used-Game-Debate-Needs-Some-Reality