Microsoft Sort Of Apologizes for Bizarre Dance Song

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Microsoft Sort Of Apologizes for Bizarre Dance Song

Sadly, no amount of apologizing will ever make this song stop hurting.

Though non-Norwegians may have missed it, Oslo played host last week to the Norwegian Developers Conference (NDC). Seemingly on a mission to help their product stand out, a team from Microsoft Norway opted to welcome attendees to a presentation on updates to Windows Azure by subjecting them to an evil Europop outing that included the line, "the words MICRO and SOFT don't apply to my PENIS (or vagina)."

Unsurprisingly, more than few people posted a YouTube comment [https://twitter.com/hamnis/status/210781747489681409] apologizing for the whole thing.

"This week's Norwegian Developer's Conference included a skit that involved inappropriate and offensive elements and vulgar language," reads the comment, which has been posted on two uploads of the show. "We apologize to our customers and our partners and are actively looking into the matter."

Dubbed "Developersong" in the attached video, the bulk of the oeuvre concerns how keen NDC's developers are on partying, coding, and then partying some more. Dancers, rendered almost invisible by the show's mid-century disco lighting, bop along to the music. A Babylon 5-style voice provides most of the, well, singing.

All in all, the part about genitalia doesn't really seem to add that much more offensive material to what is already a harrowing example of weapons-grade Europop. The crowd seem to find it vaguely amusing ("CSS is my LSD!"), at least.

C'mon, Windows Azure Norway. If Europop was what you wanted, couldn't you have hired the Lordi [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qmsmzoRBE&feature=relmfu]? Europe loves Lordi! Oh man. "Developersong" could have been so much more.

Source: Geekwire [http://www.geekwire.com/2012/raunchy-windows-azure-dance-routine/]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That has to be the best thing EVER!!! ... Compared to microsoft's 2010 E3 conference.... Or usha.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Should have been a Eurovision Song Contest entry.

I'd have voted for it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Meh, looks like it wasn't meant to be taken seriously and judging by the laughter in the video it also seems a lot of people found it funny. A good ice breaker and certainly a great conversation piece!

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I think the dance was meant tongue-in-cheek. It was funny enough to me.
Why is this such a huge deal?

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..Still better entertainment than Cowboys & Aliens (finally watched the Extended Version last night, oh god).

I do not see the issue?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Sadly, I have attended dozens of such events over the years, these things tend to be played at the beginning, before the keynote at 08:00. So there I am, sleepy as ****, and then they start this high energy song... NOT a good idea, lads.

Best lyrics ever, though!
No need to be apologizing over! Only in America!!!

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Well, that certainly was fun to watch. In fact, I'll watch it again.

While I can imagine how some people might take offense to the mild language, it's hard to believe people involved in the industry would be. Seriously, drug references and referring to ones reproductive organs is fairly tame.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
The funniest part is the botched attempt at being gender-neutral. So what it means that MICRO and SOFT don't apply to a vagina? :)

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I thought they were apologizing for usher at e3. Honestly Harmonix should apologize for anything that isn't rock band 4

Wertornion

Aug 29, 2010
Why do I think that the whole article was an excuse to mention eurovision songs? And Lordi as the main reason? :p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The only complaint I can imagine making about that line is that the entire song doesn't comprise of it.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Hevva said:
...an evil Europop outing that included the line, "the words MICRO and SOFT don't apply to my PENIS (or vagina)."...
I just full on spat my drink out here.

It was tea, thanks a lot 'Hevva'.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I assume he is saying he has a giant vagina and a rock hard penis.

Captcha: rack your brains. not quite.