Microsoft Spending $700 Million to Back Xbox Live Cloud Servers

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Microsoft Spending $700 Million to Back Xbox Live Cloud Servers

A multimillion dollar data center in Des Moines, Iowa will support Xbox Live and other cloud services.

While a lot of gamers' subsequent interest in the Xbox One was focused on the console's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED>now reversed DRM policies. Microsoft did manage to impress some when it announced that the Xbox One would have access to more <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4348816/xbox-live-next-gen-xbox-one>than 300,000 cloud servers that would be available to power Xbox Live, and, according to Microsoft, give developers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124325-Microsoft-Claims-Cloud-Will-Quadruple-Power-of-Xbox-One>more processing power expand on the scope and scale of games both single and multiplayer. Some have <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124357-Jonathan-Blow-Microsofts-Cloud-Server-Claims-Are-Lies>expressed skepticism about Microsoft's claims. That said, Microsoft looks ready to literally put its money where its mouth is when it comes to its investment in cloud resources for the Xbox One.

Recently, it was revealed that Microsoft will be investing a whopping $700 million in a new data center located in Des Moines, Iowa. According to a statement from Microsoft's Christian Belady, "The expansion supports the growing demand for Microsoft's cloud services." It was also confirmed that the Iowa project will support Xbox Live and other Microsoft products like Office 365.

Even if some doubt that Microsoft truly has the capability to deliver on the promise of 300,000 servers that deepen the integration of cloud computation in game development, its considerable investment in related infrastructure suggests some level of sincerity. In the least, it somewhat exceeds Sony's $360 million <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118212-Sony-Buys-Gaikai-Cloud-Gaming-Service>purchase of Gakai, a cloud gaming service that will assumedly have a role in the PS4's own cloud-based services.

Source: <a href=http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2013/06/21/microsoft-behind-nearly-700-million-data-center-investment-in-west-des-moines/article>Des Moines Register

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
"... other cloud services"

Cool, might be the touted skydrive backup service for Windows 8.1! :D

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don´t really like that they are relying this much on Cloud technology, frankly i don´t trust it one bit. Maybe i´m just old, but i´m not too fond of the idea that everything is happening in a cloud that is completely beyond my control. I would prefer to have things happening locally, hopefully this will only be used for multiplayer games and not singleplayer.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Isn't latency going to be an issue? I mean my ping to the US is usually around 350ms. Wouldn't it make more sense to spread the servers around the globe?

And another thing, cloud computing is the only way to completely prevent piracy, if the code is not even running locally theres no way to crack it.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
dochmbi said:
Isn't latency going to be an issue? I mean my ping to the US is usually around 350ms. Wouldn't it make more sense to spread the servers around the globe?
Your using logic, never a good idea around Microsoft.

They probably get tax breaks or backhanders to base it in Iowa.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Yes.... Office 365

The thing where Microsoft even eliminates your ability to have access to the latest office software without a connection. Instead, you license it from them yearly. Ugh.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
"In the least, it somewhat exceeds Sony's $360 million purchase of Gakai, "

Isn't that a bit irrelevant when Microsoft's service is going to be working Microsoft Office? Isn't that like saying Microsoft bought a mansion to house it's 5000 guests which is much more impressive than Sony who only bought a house for his one guest. Microsoft is providing a superior service because a mansion costs more than a house

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I still don't get the obsession with cloud processing in games. Folding at home, fantastic, but games? You want the environment to respond to you in a game, trying it from a cloud service is just going to be laggy as all Hell except for a lucky few. Most games now go as far as running hit detection from the client end, never mind physics and rendering, the majority of user's connection simply aren't fast/consistent enough.

Cloud saves, shared replays, mass campaigns with shared progress, brilliant. Watching everyone do the chicken on acid dance because 'the cloud' can't keep up with the demand on particles? Not so much.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Is that really a smart idea having all the servers in one place? Latency's gonna be a nightmare.

Oh right, Microsoft. They don't care about anyone outside the US.
FoolKiller said:
Yes.... Office 365

The thing where Microsoft even eliminates your ability to have access to the latest office software without a connection. Instead, you license it from them yearly. Ugh.
I'll stick to Open Office thanks, it's enough for my needs. Fuck 'em

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
dochmbi said:
And another thing, cloud computing is the only way to completely prevent piracy, if the code is not even running locally theres no way to crack it.
Until someone hacks the servers, not that anything like that's happened ever before in the history of anything.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
MrBaskerville said:
I don´t really like that they are relying this much on Cloud technology, frankly i don´t trust it one bit. Maybe i´m just old, but i´m not too fond of the idea that everything is happening in a cloud that is completely beyond my control. I would prefer to have things happening locally, hopefully this will only be used for multiplayer games and not singleplayer.
You are not alone. Many people dislike the idea of not having complete control over what their hardware/software is doing. Not to mention the fact that those services are usually not adequately protected making them vulnerable to cyber attacks.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
So after the costly start with the XBox, the enormous amounts of money necessary to ease the RRoD fallout Microsoft now has to invest a lot to get the Cloud Service for the XBox One up and running.

I know that this is of course not only for the XBox One however it certainly adds to the cost. So not only will they release a system that might probably stay behind its expectations but also will they add running costs to the equation.

Makes you wonder if Microsoft ever wants to make of profit of their XBox department... thus far they haven't and looks like that won't change in the foreseeable future.
If I was a stockholder I would certainly grow weary of this...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm now hoping that Microsoft makes nowhere near that amount in revenue for the Xbox One. Even after reversing the DRM I still want to see them fail (and I'm a 360 gamer at the moment). They don't deserve to have any kind of success this generation, as far as I'm concerned. I want to see this bite them in the arse.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Iowa in a part of the US with rubbish broadband? I mean, if you insist on only having the one server hub, it'd make more sense to put in a place with good connections.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
They really like pissing away money.

Seriously how long till the shareholders pimp slap MS?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
MrBaskerville said:
*sigh*

This kind of thinking troubles me greatly. I mean how the hell are the machines supposed to take over and subjugate us if people like you keep holding technology back.

This is one more glorious step toward SkyNet, and you should start thanking your machines now so they go easy on you during their revolution.

Viva la Robo-Resistance!

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Hold on! So MS says "the XB180 will no longer require an always on connection," and then they dump 700 million dollars into a server farm to support your "always on" connection?

An oversimplification on my part, yes. But does anyone else see this as odd? If nothing else, MS is probably gonna pull some :

"We made it so that you no longer need a constant connection in order to access single player. Don't blame us for the developer designing the game in a way that single player requires a constant internet connection. It's not our fault they designed it with "utilizing the power of the cloud for single player" in mind."

kind of bull ****. I just don't see investing that kind of revenue into something that's "completely optional."

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
tdylan said:
Hold on! So MS says "the XB180 will no longer require an always on connection," and then they dump 700 million dollars into a server farm to support your "always on" connection?

An oversimplification on my part, yes. But does anyone else see this as odd? If nothing else, MS is probably gonna pull some :

"We made it so that you no longer need a constant connection in order to access single player. Don't blame us for the developer designing the game in a way that single player requires a constant internet connection. It's not our fault they designed it with "utilizing the power of the cloud for single player" in mind."

kind of bull ****. I just don't see investing that kind of revenue into something that's "completely optional."
Nope its not odd at all. In fact its exactly what I expected with Microsoft. I kept my mouth shut with everyone cheering about how we won with the xbox one but in fact we just postponed the battle.

If anyone thinks microsoft is done trying to shoehorn the always on requirement into your daily lives I would call you a fool.

Microsoft sees the power of the cloud in terms of power of the cage. They want to trap you digitally and good luck to those who support them.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
Microsoft stated that the cloud service mentioned above would be used for two things:
1.) Host all Windows-Live game servers. ALL OF THEM. Popular game servers will no longer go down because the devs can't support it.

2.) Offload computing to the cloud.

In multiplayer this means your Xbone has more CPU/GPU time to do other things and hopefully also reduce lag (could theoretically make it worse if you're a pessimist).

In both SP and MP the idea is world-wide dynamic events. If a SP game chooses to do cloud computing devs could do cool things where our single player actions shape each others' worlds. Of course EA touted this feature by talking about dynamic crowds in NBA 2013. Woo. I'd rather it be pushing unique world bosses and creating weekly challenges, a la Mass Effect 3 MP.

It's now entirely possible to make a SP game with an option to turn on/off these online events, so the Always-On Apocalypse keeps it's cool features while losing the Always-On part. Good news for gamers!

They clearly have a cool plan for it that does not revolve around pushing Microsoft Office on the XBone. Calm down there guys.