Microsoft Sued, Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Sued, Again

PalTalk Holdings is seeking $90 million from Halo [http://www.microsoft.com] infringe upon two of its patents relating to multiplayer online games.

The suit claims that both the console and the hit game make unauthorized use of technology developed by MPath, "a pioneer in the online video industry in the area of real-time, multiplayer online games," PalTalk's [http://www.paltalk.com/] attorney told the jury. "Microsoft had many meetings with MPath regarding their technology, and Microsoft found the technology to be very valuable."

Microsoft admits that it did "review" the MPath technology but elected not to use it, saying it was for older dial-up methods of communication between computers. "The patents don't cover the way the Halo games work," Microsoft's lawyer said. "Microsoft decided to go in another direction and work with another company. Obviously, this was upsetting to PalTalk and its employees."

Furthermore, he added, the technology in question is "certainly not [worth] $90 million," claiming that PalTalk bought the patents for less than $200,000.

MPath Interactive was the parent of GameSpy Arcade [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer.com#cite_note-memb-3].

But HearMe didn't fare much better, going out of business itself in 2000. PalTalk acquired the rights to its technology later that year and, in 2007, relaunched HearMe [http://www.hearme.com/] as a VoIP and videoconferencing service.

The trial is expected to last two weeks.

Source: Gamasutra [http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/402931_msftpatent10.html]

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
"Reviewing" of technology aside it sounds like a pretty weak case. I'll be curious to see how it all pans out in the end.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
They're probably gonna get out of it in some odd, odd way...

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
As a PS3 owner, I would like to see Microsoft get screwed out of some hard cash.
But as a gamer, I dont want people suing quality console/game producers.

It does sound like a pretty weak case to me, but 90million is still a HUGE amount of cash, even Microsoft has to be careful with the whole "global recession".

Mental Mage

Feb 26, 2009
Yea this isn't going to go through at all. All they have to do is say "Here we go, this is the company we went with, this is how they work, this is how HearMe wanted to work, this is how it doesnt match up. Thanks for your time have a gold plated sucker."

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
If Microsoft loses this somehow, it won't get whatever this company is called 90 million dollars.

It sounds like they went in, saw how much halo made, then asked for 10%.

If Microsoft had actually contracted the use of the technology, it probably would have only cost them 20-30k.

But since Microsoft is using it's own type of voice communications tech, I doubt very much this is going to get this company a dime.

I think the company is going under and is trying to get this cash to keep afloat.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
Rutawitz said:
Microsoft gets sued all the time, if they have to pay then its nothing of their 100 trillion dollar enterprise
If only microsoft did make more than the Earth's gdp....
The promised days will then come when they lead us into a new age.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Patent campers make me sick. I actually doubt this is anything MS actually did, it looks like all the other ones this past year.
*sigh*

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
nova18 said:
As a PS3 owner, I would like to see Microsoft get screwed out of some hard cash.

It does sound like a pretty weak case to me, but 90million is still a HUGE amount of cash, even Microsoft has to be careful with the whole "global recession".
Really? Just because you own a PS3, you want another game company to lose a crap-load of money? I just don't understand a fanboy's mind. I'm a PC gamer, and own a Wii60, but I still don't want the PS3 to burn. Sure, I take amussement in their original BS, and how everything turned out, but I wouldn't want a game company screwed, especially in a patent camping case like this. I can't imagine they're gonna win, and nor should they. I'm sure the failing company id hoping MS will settle out of court. I say MS should nail them to the wall. Even sue to recoup the legal fees of a BS suit. If nothing else, it'd be a good lesson for future campers.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
Link Kadeshi said:
nova18 said:

Really? Just because you own a PS3, you want another game company to lose a crap-load of money?...
Read with your eyes open.

Anyhoo, it really does sound like an extremely weak case. Even if it DID go through, & MS DID lose $90 Mil, I don't think we'd really be bothered, would we? However, it's the principle of the matter, which looks like it's bound to fail.

On another note, is it just me or has there been little really interesting news lately?

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Sounds to me like someone's just trying to get some easy money to stay in buisness. Also sounds like they're kinda reaching in their case - "They went with another company that does what we do better....sue them..."

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
Patent campers make me sick. I actually doubt this is anything MS actually did, it looks like all the other ones this past year.
*sigh*
You mean like the patent Microsoft is suing TomTom for.

A vehicle computer system has a housing sized to be mounted in a vehicle dashboard or other appropriate location. A computer is mounted within the housing and executes an open platform, multi-tasking operating system. The computer runs multiple applications on the operating system, including both vehicle-related applications (e.g., vehicle security application, vehicle diagnostics application, communications application, etc.) and non-vehicle-related applications (e.g., entertainment application, word processing, etc.). The applications may be supplied by the vehicle manufacturer and/or by the vehicle user.

eviltim

Feb 12, 2009
it's kinda late to do that when halo's been out for about a year and a half now, isn't it. but then again, it's never too late to sue someone. hopefully microsoft can keep it together

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
lijenstina said:
GyroCaptain said:
*sigh*
You mean like the patent Microsoft is suing TomTom for.

A vehicle computer system has a housing sized to be mounted in a vehicle dashboard or other appropriate location. A computer is mounted within the housing and executes an open platform, multi-tasking operating system. The computer runs multiple applications on the operating system, including both vehicle-related applications (e.g., vehicle security application, vehicle diagnostics application, communications application, etc.) and non-vehicle-related applications (e.g., entertainment application, word processing, etc.). The applications may be supplied by the vehicle manufacturer and/or by the vehicle user.
Intriguing. The relevant improvement over prior art there would be the integration of vehicle functions into something with an OS and computer functions and the part relating to a special case designed for auto mount, otherwise it's just a laptop with a cigarette adapter or GPS/security system, not both. I assume the case is the part they're mainly going after TomTom for. In any case I hadn't heard about that one yet. Does MS have something cooking in that area? What mainly annoys me in patent cases are dog-in-the manger cases when a company casts its bread on the waters (never really working toward use of the patents or making their systems workable) and hopes to be vague enough that someone will slip up while making money.

What I meant by patent-campers were the run of similar cases in which a number of companies held patents they had never exercised and came out of the woodwork: the controller patent case against Sony and Nintendo, the suit that Virtual Worlds brought against NCSoft for essentially the idea of an MMO, Gibson's lawsuit against Activision, and others.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Malygris said:
"certainly not [worth] $90 million," claiming that PalTalk bought the patents for less than $200,000.
I've always wondered, why do some reports put some words in square brackets?

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Danzorz said:
Aaaaaaaaannnd Microsoft has been sued for the...1024,463[sup]th[/sup] time, seriously though, Microsoft gets sued as often as it rains.
Funny that you should choose that exact number =P
Also how do you get sued ,[number] times? =P

Indeed it seems like they are just looking for some easy (?) money to keep the boat floating.
I mean first of. It's a bit late in my opinion to be suing them now. And secondly it doesn't hold enough. All they have in my opinion is that MS checked in on it a bit. As Mental Mage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.95679.1486617] said all they have to do is show them some paper.

I kinda hope it's going do have at least some kind of bad effect on the suers for this. Because this is fairly ridicioulus. No matter how fun it would be to have seen Microsoft having stepped in the salad, this is just not resonable.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Danny Ocean said:
Malygris said:
"certainly not [worth] $90 million," claiming that PalTalk bought the patents for less than $200,000.
I've always wondered, why do some reports put some words in square brackets?
Because that word has been inserted into the quote, to make sure it makes sense out of the context of the rest of what was said.