Microsoft Sued, Again

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
So basically, Microsoft talked to these guys once. Then they made alot of money. CLEARLY THEY OWE THEM MILLIONS!

I bet this won't last a week, much less two.

nightmare1414

Mar 4, 2009
yeah. i own a ps3 too much i wouldn't want to see microsoft sell out, they do make some really good games, the only reason i have a ps3 is from the free internet if not i would have a 360

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
The main case against TomTom is that they use FAT to read flash .The other patents ,like the one I've before mentioned, are just thrown in to waste time and effort on the other side to dispute them.
More on that:
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3807801_1/Bruce-Perens-Analyzing-Microsofts-TomTom-Lawsuit.htm

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
Danny Ocean said:
Malygris said:
"certainly not [worth] $90 million," claiming that PalTalk bought the patents for less than $200,000.
I've always wondered, why do some reports put some words in square brackets?
Well, say if the person being quoted had said this; "They're suing us for $90 million. Their technology may be worth $200,000, but certainly not $90 million." and the editor of the piece only wanted to quote the part that told how much the technology is not worth. He would take out the rest, leaving "certainly not $90 million." but of course this makes no sense out of context. So the editor would put in square brackets a word to put the sentence into context.

I think that's the reason.

nova18 said:
As a PS3 owner, I would like to see Microsoft get screwed out of some hard cash.
But really PS3 owners need Microsoft, and the other way round. Competition makes the two companies want to compete for lowest prices, and better games.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Oh no! We should all send money to Microsoft during this hard time!

No seriously the other company just wants a share (cause it sucks), common, your not getting that much $ out of such a big comp

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
PsykoDragon said:
Link Kadeshi said:
nova18 said:
As a PS3 owner, I would like to see Microsoft get screwed out of some hard cash.
But as a gamer, I dont want people suing quality console/game producers.

It does sound like a pretty weak case to me, but 90million is still a HUGE amount of cash, even Microsoft has to be careful with the whole "global recession".
Really? Just because you own a PS3, you want another game company to lose a crap-load of money?...
Read with your eyes open.

Anyhoo, it really does sound like an extremely weak case. Even if it DID go through, & MS DID lose $90 Mil, I don't think we'd really be bothered, would we? However, it's the principle of the matter, which looks like it's bound to fail.

On another note, is it just me or has there been little really interesting news lately?
Perhaps you should read the line RIGHT before your bolded line. The part where he states that he wanted Microsoft to lose because he's a PS3 owner... Yeah, that one... I know you're suppossed to blink, but when reading, you should pick up where you left off. See, I did keep my eyes open... WHEEE! Now, my whole point (To avoid further missread confussions) is that regardless of his two points of view, he still thought it'd be good to a degree. My question, once again, is how does that make a gamer a gamer? To want the faliure of a game company. As much as I may dislike Sony's system (For my own reasons), I want them to do well, because only one hardcore system is a bad thing. Think things aren't great with one system? Imagine if they didn't have competition to help keep them straight(er?). I'm glad I had to point out your mistake and take extra time to explain further what was already obvious and stated, but next time, maybe I could just spend that time not doing that, and watching the latest Zero Punctuation (New every Wednesday, only on the Escapist!).

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
MPlayer fucking sucked. It was slow as hell, and you could never find a match in Close Combat with it.

Actually, now that I think about it and Halo 3 Matchmaking...

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
Link Kadeshi said:
PsykoDragon said:
Link Kadeshi said:
nova18 said:
But as a gamer, I dont want people suing quality console/game producers.

It does sound like a pretty weak case to me, but 90million is still a HUGE amount of cash, even Microsoft has to be careful with the whole "global recession".
Really? Just because you own a PS3, you want another game company to lose a crap-load of money?...
Read with your eyes open.

Anyhoo, it really does sound like an extremely weak case. Even if it DID go through, & MS DID lose $90 Mil, I don't think we'd really be bothered, would we? However, it's the principle of the matter, which looks like it's bound to fail.

On another note, is it just me or has there been little really interesting news lately?
Perhaps you should read the line RIGHT before your bolded line. The part where he states that he wanted Microsoft to lose because he's a PS3 owner... Yeah, that one... I know you're suppossed to blink, but when reading, you should pick up where you left off. See, I did keep my eyes open... WHEEE! Now, my whole point (To avoid further missread confussions) is that regardless of his two points of view, he still thought it'd be good to a degree. My question, once again, is how does that make a gamer a gamer? To want the faliure of a game company. As much as I may dislike Sony's system (For my own reasons), I want them to do well, because only one hardcore system is a bad thing. Think things aren't great with one system? Imagine if they didn't have competition to help keep them straight(er?). I'm glad I had to point out your mistake and take extra time to explain further what was already obvious and stated, but next time, maybe I could just spend that time not doing that, and watching the latest Zero Punctuation (New every Wednesday, only on the Escapist!).
mmmm U make a good point. But then again, what I was trying to say is that that's just natural talk among a buncha buds. In other words, CHILL DUDE! ur being too serious :p

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
PsykoDragon said:
Link Kadeshi said:
PsykoDragon said:
Link Kadeshi said:
nova18 said:
EDIT: Where words were once...
...Now they are not.
Mehdit
~EDIT: Super Amounts of random letters~
mmmm U make a good point. But then again, what I was trying to say is that that's just natural talk among a buncha buds. In other words, CHILL DUDE! ur being too serious :p
But if I do that, then who will be the voice of the anti-monkeys?! Certainly not me... No, I must stay serious to prevent the Monkeys from destroying our civilization... What? I'm not crazy.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
Link Kadeshi said:
PsykoDragon said:
Link Kadeshi said:
PsykoDragon said:
Link Kadeshi said:
nova18 said:
EDIT: Where words were once...
...Now they are not.
Mehdit
~EDIT: Super Amounts of random letters~
...In other words, CHILL DUDE! ur being too serious :p
But if I do that, then who will be the voice of the anti-monkeys?! Certainly not me... No, I must stay serious to prevent the Monkeys from destroying our civilization... What? I'm not crazy.
o_O ok, you stay serious. I'm just gonna go right over there & be right back with a coupla neon-flavored ice-cream.

Tygerml

Nov 16, 2008
Iampringles said:
Hmm.

I'm sure Microsoft can take this hit.

Afterall, they are no strangers to lawsuits.
It's not that they can't afford it, it's the precedent it sets.

NCSoft was being sued last Christmas for using a 3D interactive world concept in their games (just like every other MMORPG) like one 'patented' by worlds.com in 2000. They're using NCSoft as a test litigant, and they plan to go after Blizzard and other big names if they're successful. http://news.bigdownload.com/tag/worlds.com

The problem is that if Microsoft caves to this, then someone can go look for a patent for a GUI-based OS, or a solitaire game, or anything remotely resembling a Microsoft product, and look for a big payoff to drop a new lawsuit. And so on. And so on. ad nauseum.