Microsoft Teases Xbox One Digital Game Trade-Ins

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Microsoft Teases Xbox One Digital Game Trade-Ins

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/731/731461.jpgBased on a recent customer survey, Microsoft might be toying with the idea of allowing digital game trade-ins for Xbox One.

Video game trade-ins <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102843-InstantAction-CEO-Retailers-Are-Parasites-and-Thieves>have been a fairly divisive issue within the games industry. Retailers like GameStop have long maintained they encourage sales, while some publishers claim they ultimately cut into profits. And that's not even getting into options for digital trade-ins, a market Microsoft itself might finally be wading into. A recent Microsoft survey has broached the idea of whether customers would be willing to exchange digital Xbox One games for online store credits.

The survey question reads, "If the console digital games store for the console you owned offered customers the option to 'sell back' their digital games to the store for 10% of the purchase price in store credit, would you be interested in such an offer?"

Now by itself, 10 percent isn't exactly huge. For a brand-new, $60 release, that will only give you $6 to spend on other games in the store. That said, for a storefront that's never provided a digital trade-in option, it's an intriguing first step. Anyone who completes a video game and never touches it again will be able to save a few dollars when moving onto the next big release. At the moment, Microsoft will only take back digital games in the form of a refund through customer support.

[gallery=6050]

Obviously there will be a few details to figure out - for example, if you trade-in a game when it's on sale, will your percentage be based on the reduced price or full cost? Whatever the case, it certainly has the potential to mix up the retail game trade-in market in a big way. Would you be interested in a digital trade-in program for your Xbox One games? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Source: GamesRadar

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'd definitely be interesting, but I would change it a bit, since just 10% flat is - while better than nothing at all - not great.

These are all based off the price somebody purchased at, whether full price of in a sale:
I'd start off with 75% back if refunded within the first week.
50% between the first and second week
25% from then til any one of three months/six months/a year.
10% after that.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
People complain at the 20-35% on average gamestop offers, You really think anyone would trade in for 10%? That's moronic.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
irish286 said:
People complain at the 20-35% on average gamestop offers, You really think anyone would trade in for 10%? That's moronic.
This.

Andy Shandy said:
I'd definitely be interesting, but I would change it a bit, since just 10% flat is - while better than nothing at all - not great.

These are all based off the price somebody purchased at, whether full price of in a sale:
I'd start off with 75% back if refunded within the first week.
50% between the first and second week
25% from then til any one of three months/six months/a year.
10% after that.
Also this but with the first week, it's 100% a la Steam. Perhaps shorten the time down though for a 100% refund to like 2-3 days. And 25% is the lowest it can drop.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
first two weeks should be 100% as per actual laws currently in effect. It is actually illegal to not offer refunds for first 2 weeks (or rather the law states 14 days). Of course if it took 3 years in court to make steam at least half-ass the system i dont imagine Microsoft is much fazed.

The 10% sounds useless. id rather keep the game and wait for 10% off sale, heck, the sale is probably going to be 50% off anyway.