Microsoft Testing New Xbox Disc Format With Free Halo: Reach

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I find it amusing that this article got up after they already filled their desired number of participants and have shut down the registrations.

Oh, and it's US only because they have to ship out those copies of Halo Reach on the new disc format to everyone in the preview program. Guess what: It's cheaper and faster for a US based company to ship discs to other people in the US. Shipping to other regions means higher shipping fees and longer shipping times, meaning they might pay more to send you a disc that you don't get before the end of the preview.
They aren't making it US only because they hate other countries. It's US only because they are intelligent businessmen.

-Samurai- said:
vxicepickxv said:
gigastar said:
15% more space? Still makes it inferior to the Blu-Ray. And by alot.

Of course Microsoft would rather suicide than admit it.
They'd also probably admit that their system came out before Blu-Ray, so it's kind of a moot point there.
They had their chance to upgrade to Blu Ray when they made the slim.
*facedesk*

No they didn't. What did you think they were going to do for the owners of original 360s? Tell them "tough shit, buy a new slim if you want to play the latest games because your consoles' disc drives don't have the right laser to read blu-ray"? Do you realize how poorly that would have gone over? PLEASE, think before you post next time.

And no, the DVD is not holding console games back. There's this really easy concept going around, you see. It's called MULTIPLE DISCS. I know, I know, who would have thought you could release a game on more than one disc?! But it works, just ask Mass Effect 2. And don't act like getting up to change the disc twice during gameplay is such a huge effort that massively inconveniences you. It's not. It's a very mild annoyance at best, but then when the 10 second disc swap is over, you go back to playing and forget you ever did it.

Also, a lot of bigger PS3 games are big enough to fill a blu-ray simply because they don't bother compressing anything. Or there's a completely separate 3D gimmick version of the game on the disc like for Killzone 3. Ever wonder why even exclusive PS3 games don't really have massive amounts of content over multiplatform or 360 exclusive games? Because developers aren't making it. There's more to making content than just "Do we have enough space on the disc for it?" There are also more important things like "Do we have the budget to create more content?" and "Will the publisher let us delay the release so we can make extra content?"

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I signed up for the beta test!! I won't be able to tell you what I see but I will likely at least be able to say whether or not it sucks. (provided I'm accepted) and hey a free copy of Halo Reach(among other possible things) never hurt either

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
The Sane said:
What would be the point? Publishers couldn't start releasing blu-ray games as this would cut off everyone who already owns an older xbox. Sure, you'd be able to watch films with it, but it would jack up the price a fair bit to add a feature that is outside of the core purpose of the console, which is to play games.
I'll address your first point after this next guys quote, but as far as adding other features; Isn't that a good thing, and isn't it already happening with things like Netflix and the ability to play a CD or DVD movie from the start? Gaming consoles aren't just for games anymore, just as cell phones aren't just for phone calls.

mjc0961 said:
No they didn't. What did you think they were going to do for the owners of original 360s? Tell them "tough shit, buy a new slim if you want to play the latest games because your consoles' disc drives don't have the right laser to read blu-ray"? Do you realize how poorly that would have gone over? PLEASE, think before you post next time.
Right, because things like that never happen. We're all still playing on the Magnavox Odyssey because technology doesn't move forward.

With every new technological breakthrough we get a new console, and millions of people get left behind in the previous generation, unable to use the new format. I just bought a current gen console last year. It would be no different.

And no, the DVD is not holding console games back. There's this really easy concept going around, you see. It's called MULTIPLE DISCS. I know, I know, who would have thought you could release a game on more than one disc?! But it works, just ask Mass Effect 2. And don't act like getting up to change the disc twice during gameplay is such a huge effort that massively inconveniences you. It's not. It's a very mild annoyance at best, but then when the 10 second disc swap is over, you go back to playing and forget you ever did it.
Putting everything on one disk is much more cost effective than splitting a single game into 2 or 3.

Cut down production costs, and you just might be able to sell your product for less, which wouldn't be a horrible thing.

Also, a lot of bigger PS3 games are big enough to fill a blu-ray simply because they don't bother compressing anything. Or there's a completely separate 3D gimmick version of the game on the disc like for Killzone 3. Ever wonder why even exclusive PS3 games don't really have massive amounts of content over multiplatform or 360 exclusive games? Because developers aren't making it. There's more to making content than just "Do we have enough space on the disc for it?" There are also more important things like "Do we have the budget to create more content?" and "Will the publisher let us delay the release so we can make extra content?"
The reason there isn't more content is because those developers opted for longer, larger, and better looking games(using higher resolution, more detailed textures that take up more space). Some(such as the developers of Little Big Planet 1 & 2) went for customization, level creation, and even entire game creation inside their game.

And you're going to sit there and say that multi-platform developers wouldn't have the budget for more content? Let's have a look at the major multi-platform developers; Activision, EA, Rockstar, Epic, Capcom, THQ, and many, many more. They've got the money to back themselves up.

More gameplay, customization, features, replay value, and content pay for themselves. I'm sure any publisher looking to make as much money as possible(ie: all of them) will tolerate a more lengthy development period for the purpose of making more money.

The video game DVD is quickly becoming the new cartridge, and I'm sure in the next few years, the movie DVD will become the new VHS. The sooner Microsoft realizes that, the better.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
+1 Reason living in Australia is extremely overrated. Seriously, you know how little game events there are to go to down here. (Probably due to the pewny amount of Australian Devs.)

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
!@#$, thought Microsoft was being rational and trying BD.

Revolutionary said:
+1 Reason living in Australia is extremely overrated. Seriously, you know how little game events there are to go to down here. (Probably due to the pewny amount of Australian Devs.)
I'd much rather live in New Zealand/Aussie and have a government that hates and small game community us than have a government which collectively acts like a 5 year old and lots of gaming events.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Gameplay isn't hindered or held back by DVDs. It's not like you need 30GB extra to make good gameplay.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Aw, only US :(
It's still not Blueray. It's great that they're experimenting with new formats for the upcoming Xbox 3, but 15% isn't enough.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
-Samurai- said:
They had their chance to upgrade to Blu Ray when they made the slim. It would have been a good choice for not only 360 users, but PS3 users as well.

The DVD is holding console gaming back.
developers (publishers one or the other) are forced to pay a fee to microsoft for every extra disc I doubt microsoft wants a format with too high a capacity.

Rage is the first game that I will most likely be buying for the PS3 dvd just cant handle it pitty I do actually prefer the 360. Id prefer not to give sony my money with all the crap they pull but I dont know what else to do (I dont game on pc).