Microsoft Upgrades Security for Xbox Live

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
Microsoft Upgrades Security for Xbox Live

Xbox Live's General Manager would like to remind you that "password" is not an acceptable password.

In an official blog post on the Xbox forums, Xbox Live General Manager Alex Garden has outlined a list of new account safeguards that have recently been put into place. The security upgrades he mentions have apparently been ongoing since Xbox's Spring update last month, with further improvements "still to come." You can read the full list of changes below:

We've increased notifications to members whose accounts may be compromised to add proofs, update their passwords, and, if necessary, contact Xbox support. This helps our team lock down an account quickly, investigate and restore the account to the rightful owner.
We've taken legal action to pull down online posts of gamertags, usernames and passwords gathered from malware or phishing schemes to help protect our members.
Our Xbox LIVE Spring update included many behind the scenes improvements that help us build on security enhancements for the near future.
We're sending unique codes to the security phone numbers and secondary email addresses provided by members to verify authorization for Xbox.com purchases or account change attempts not stemming from a member's trusted device.
We're working to reduce market incentives for criminal activity. Engaging in identity theft, trading in stolen accounts and committing credit card fraud are illegal and violate our Terms of Use. Those involved in these activities risk criminal prosecution, account and console bans. That goes for both sellers and buyers of known stolen accounts and content.

While these changes should not drastically affect most players, they should go some way to preventing the use and trade of stolen accounts. However, for the majority of these measures to be effective, Garden says, users will need to make sure that they keep their account information up-to-date. To that end, he advised that customers double-check their security info [http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/security-proofs] and update it if necessary.

Garden also suggested that users ensure their passwords are watertight. To prevent breaches from one site from spreading to all your accounts, be sure to use a different password for every service you use, and don't have common words as these are the most easily hacked. "Sadly", he notes, "'Password' and '12345' are still top of the most common password lists when we see breaches occur and passwords posted online."

Microsoft hopes that these advancements will help to reduce the amount of account fraud on its online service. However, as with all security measures, users also have a responsibility for the safety of their online identities, and a little common sense goes a long way when protecting your accounts.

Source: Eurogamer [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/b/community_blog/archive/2012/07/18/securityletter.aspx]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Glad to know my password is about a thousand times more secure.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Good grief, a secure password is easy.

1) Find something in your room with a long name.

2) Change letters for numbers/symbols.

3) Add some numbers on the end if you feel really tricky.

And it that doesn't work use XKCD

http://xkcd.com/936/

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Thank God. Remember that girl who had $600 taken from her and XBox blamed her?

Yeah, that should have never happened.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Anyone who uses "password" or "12345" as their actual password deserves to have their account hacked!
As well as their luggage.
Deserves it eh? Being a little pro-active aren't you?

So tell me, do people who leave their house unlocked DESERVE to be robbed? Car door unlocked DESERVE to have the car stolen?

You know what I think? I think people like you encourage crime by saying "Hey criminal, it's ok to rob this person since they used a weak password/left the door unlocked".

Here's an idea, it's crazy I know but how about WE BLAME THE CRIMINALS WHEN THEY COMMIT CRIMES, not the victims. If you saw a door half open, would you rob the place?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I guess I should change mine, but it's so radically different from any other password I have, and seeing as I have no bank account details attached, I really can't be bothered.

DVS BSTrD said:
Anyone who uses "password" or "12345" as their actual password deserves to have their account hacked!
And their mothers punched in the face.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Glad they are upping the security. Ive only had my account hacked once. Someone downloaded FIFA on my account and used my Microsoft points to buy the card packs or whatever.

Called up customer service and they refunded the points and got me back up and runnin within the day though.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Crono1973 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Deserves it eh? Being a little pro-active aren't you?

So tell me, do people who leave their house unlocked DESERVE to be robbed? Car door unlocked DESERVE to have the car stolen?

You know what I think? I think people like you encourage crime by saying "Hey criminal, it's ok to rob this person since they used a weak password/left the door unlocked".

Here's an idea, it's crazy I know but how about WE BLAME THE CRIMINALS WHEN THEY COMMIT CRIMES, not the victims. If you saw a door half open, would you rob the place?
Oh I DO trust me, but I'm not about to let stupid people off the hook either. Sure the robber is going to rob anyway, but you shouldn't be surprised if he succeeds in robbing YOU because YOU didn't take any precautions. It's not always a question of 'deserves' (it may be the one time it slipped your mind) but it WILL happen because YOU left the door unlocked.
I don't believe that criminals can't help themselves and I won't give them a pass when they take advantage of an unlocked door. I don't rob people and I don't hack accounts so therefore I believe that if I can avoid the temptation (that doesn't really exist) then others can to.

I won't make excuses for criminal behavior. "Oh, you left the car running while you ran inside to pay for your gas? It's your fault that the thief is a thief!" = something I would never say.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Eh, it's not that hard to come up with a secure password. Look...

1. Think of something you like. Favorite food, favorite show, favorite song, whatever.
2. Use it as a password.
2.5. If you wanna make it more secure, think of your favorite number or a special date or something and add it somewhere in there.

Really, the chances of someone guessing what word you used AND the number you used are reaaaaaaally slim. Even if your best friend tried it, he would have a hard time guessing. You don't have to worry about combining numbers and caps and symbols and stuff. Just make it something not obvious, like "password" or "Escapist" or whatever.

But, you know, try and remember it. That's always the problem with most people.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
It's really kind of brilliant though. A password so obvious that you would never assume them stupid enough to use it.