Microsoft VP Credits Valve With "Keeping the PC Ecosystem Strong"

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I'm not hostile towards Microsoft, I just know better than to think they're being sincere anymore. At worst you're getting passive aggressive snarkiness from me, it's not like I actually hate microsoft. No, that would take too much effort, I just don't care about them anymore. As far as the PC platform is concerned they haven't done anything good in years and every single attempt they've made to work with the platform, despite it comically being a platform of their own making, has been at best incompetent and at worst frustrating.

I would hardly call snapping up indie titles as Windows 8 exclusives a good thing after all, especially when the developers themselves suffer as a result of it: LINK And Games For Windows Live was easily the worst third party piece of gaming software out there, even making EA's Origin and Ubisofts U play look competent by comparison.

As quoted in the article I just linked above: ?When people call Microsoft ?evil?, it?s kind of an undeserved compliment. To be evil, you have to have vision, you have to have communication, execution??

No, I don't hate microsoft. I just don't care about them anymore and get mildly annoyed whenever they mention PC gaming because it could possibly precede another incompetent attempt of theirs to try and cash in on the platform.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
The Madman said:
I'm not hostile towards Microsoft, I just know better than to think they're being sincere anymore. At worst you're getting passive aggressive snarkiness from me, it's not like I actually hate microsoft. No, that would take too much effort, I just don't care about them anymore. As far as the PC platform is concerned they haven't done anything good in years and every single attempt they've made to work with the platform, despite it comically being a platform of their own making, has been at best incompetent and at worst frustrating.

I would hardly call snapping up indie titles as Windows 8 exclusives a good thing after all, especially when the developers themselves suffer as a result of it: LINK And Games For Windows Live was easily the worst third party piece of gaming software out there, even making EA's Origin and Ubisofts U play look competent by comparison.

As quoted in the article I just linked above: ?When people call Microsoft ?evil?, it?s kind of an undeserved compliment. To be evil, you have to have vision, you have to have communication, execution??

No, I don't hate microsoft. I just don't care about them anymore and get mildly annoyed whenever they mention PC gaming because it could possibly precede another incompetent attempt of theirs to try and cash in on the platform.
You don't hate Microsoft, but you get annoyed whenever they as much as mention PC gaming and you consider them too incompetent to even be called evil?

You don't care, but you still care enough to extensively describe in this forum how little you care and why?

As for the whole "No credit for Windows 8 games" mentality; supplying Windows 8 with great games is exactly what Microsoft should be doing. They got a great platform for publishing, a great API and a growing number of great Windows 8 slates to play said games.

The only thing Windows 8 needs is a bigger user-base, and it has already started grow as consumers are realizing it's not anywhere near as bad as the collective of tech blogs and sensationalist journalism would have them believe.

I get how hating Microsoft is the "in" thing right now, but if you're really criticizing Microsoft for trying to get developers to publish titles on the latest version of their own Windows platform, you're not only contradicting yourself and this whole "Microsoft doesn't support gaming on windows" argument, you're just criticizing for the sake of criticizing.

And yeah, to me that's a tad hostile. And cynical. Just my two cents.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
amaranth_dru said:
Pessimism and hate seems to be the default of most "gamers" when it comes to dealing with major corporations. Is it so hard to just look at something without delving for subtext or going on a tirade of past "injustices"?
Not only that, these "injustices" are often perceived, or worse; based entirely on what some "anonymous developer" on some anonymous forum might have said.

It seems like gaming sites are very eager to go with juicy stories about Microsoft's incompetence; so eager even that they don't actually bother checking if said stories have any foundation in reality. This whole "xbox one E3 demos are running on high-end PCs" and "Windows 8.1 is gonna have built in commercial" being a few examples of just that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
weirdguy said:
I don't think steamboxes directly challenge xbones for market share any more than PCs do

it's just that xbones might be looking at the wrong part of the market share in general
The non-gaming part.

I mostly agree, though. I think there's some margin of people who would rather have a PC, but don't want to build it, and the idea of a consolised PC might lure them away. I just think this margin is small.

Also, I wish Microsoft would take their respect for Valve and channel it into not trying to kill PC gaming.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
TomWiley said:
And yeah, to me that's a tad hostile. And cynical. Just my two cents.
Oh please, I've been hating on Microsoft since around 2009 when they closed Ensemble Studios, this is hardly a passing pad.

I also like how you keep pointing out the same things as somehow being good when I directly linked to an actual developer who called making a deal for Windows 8 exclusivity 'A deal with the devil', all while refusing to address the bad Microsoft have done such as the multiple closure of studios and that wretched piece of crap that was GFWL.

I'm not being contradictory, it just seems you and I have very different definitions of 'supporting the PC' apparently.

But you are definitely right about one thing, I've put way too much time and effort into this pointless argument over a company I couldn't care less about. Defend them to your hearts content, I'm off.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
thiosk said:
Pretty clear that just about everyone wishes they were Valve. I thought I'd have origin for simcity but the problems were too severe and I'm still origin-free. And thank goodness G4WL is finally dying. That was such a catastrophe of a system, designed by committee of executives.
Praise be unto Him. (I found http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/ to be too much fun)
Greetings fellow /r/pcmasterrace brother. Praise GabeN and let us hope that all his projects succeed.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Remember last time when Microsoft said they were going to try to support PC gaming? Remember how that ended up with a six months late port to a below average RPG, a resurrected RTS franchise that didn't understand what made the originals so good, and a mediocre flight sim. All of which required the wretched abomination that is Games for Windows Live.

Frankly, I don't give a shit if Microsoft supports PC gaming. In fact, the fact that PC gaming is doing so well without Microsoft's involvement just shows that we don't need them. And considering how whenever Microsoft gets it in their brain that they should throw a bone to the PC gaming crowd, they give us some mediocre games that we don't really want at best, and unleash horrific services that actively held back PC gaming at worst, I don't want them to get involved. PC gaming has been getting better without Microsoft giving a shit about it, and frankly, I'm okay with keeping it that way.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
amaranth_dru said:
Pessimism and hate seems to be the default of most "gamers" when it comes to dealing with major corporations. Is it so hard to just look at something without delving for subtext or going on a tirade of past "injustices"?
Sometimes, it really is. I mean, I wouldn't call them injustices, but a company that expresses a large amount of apathy or even antipathy towards consumers deservedly ends up with a lot of flak for it. and microsoft's been kind of bitchy about it. Even after the changes to the Xbone, they've been passive-agressively bemoaning the fact that us poor plebes were too dumb to understand their great master plan for TEH FEWCHUR!!!!!!!!!!!

and really, they don't seem to understand customer gripes about Windows 8, either. There's a large amount of shit going down, and maybe it's not complete lunacy that people don't take an isolated comment as a good thing.

I mean, say i insult you daily. I don't really want to, but hypothetically. Then one day, I say "nice shirt." Even without hatred of me as a corporate monster (lol), are you going to assume I'm being legitimately nice?

More to the point, Microsoft has someone saying something nice about a company with a grudge against them. Or at least an owner with a grudge. I don't know about the rest of the company, but Gabe seems one breath away from a temper tantrum. I mean, I can see why people would be skeptical. I may have made a tongue in cheek remark about them (and I will again, and again, and again), but I don't honestly think they're up to something. But I can understand why, after breeding so much anger and mistrust, people might think something was up.

TomWiley said:
The only thing Windows 8 needs is a bigger user-base, and it has already started grow as consumers are realizing it's not anywhere near as bad as the collective of tech blogs and sensationalist journalism would have them believe.
Windows 8: not as bad as you've heard.

They should slap that on the box, it's the nicest thing I've heard about it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The last Microsoft game I bought was Age of Empires 2 HD. Microsoft has a lot to thank Valve for, they've kept the ecosystem alive among the gaming community of PC users.

Dec 16, 2009
Hey Phil, how about you commission a studio to port all those xbox and 360 exclusives to pc in1080. Would love to play more gears and Halo

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Not sure why, but all I read was
Maybe the valve/steam fans will stop reminding us of GFWL if we point out how much we want to own an equally sucessfull distribution platform... it would also be really great if all this placating would lead to our next distribution platform being successfull
I'm still using win 7, which is a fairly okay OS.. hopefully the steam OS will make Microsoft try harder (fat chance).

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
TomWiley said:
The Madman said:
I gave up on Microsoft in regards to PC gaming ages ago, and I'd recommend everyone else do the same. That company has done nothing but harm to the PC platform for years now and the day I can stop using windows in favour of another practical OS can't come soon enough.
Aren't we being a bit cynical? It's true that Microsoft hasn't been pushing gaming on Windows quite as much as Xbox, but they still created Windows and has with frequent updates kept DirectX the preferred choice amongst PC developers for almost a decade. Heck they even make PC games now and then. And let's not forget that Valve wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Microsoft.
most of the direct x stuff is now being done with the xbox in mind as the primary reason , or as a way to move shit OS's.

and considering several "features" of win 8.1 make gaming on it hard to impossible, cynical outlooks might be the proper one

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Britishfan said:
Wait... does this mean Microsoft Studios are going to make good games for Windows and/or Steam OS now? Are they working on porting their back catalogue?
Well, MS Studios already have a couple of games out on Steam. And at least one of them is GfWL-free.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Translation:

Valve has shown us what a bunch of tools and twits we are by earning ludicrous amounts of money that we could have been earning but it's not like we had the assets to be exactly like Valve and still support our consoles without even having to worry about going broke. Oh wait, we did and still do. Herp-a-derp

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Was this a fake article or did a Microsoft exec actually talk publically without saying something stupid or mentioning Titanfall? It must be a harbinger of the end times D:
Do not worry as we speak(type) there is a conversation going on in a boardroom.... "He said what??!! Yeah he is soooo fired once we find a fake reason to kick him to the curb...."

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
oliver.begg said:
and considering several "features" of win 8.1 make gaming on it hard to impossible, cynical outlooks might be the proper one
Nah, gaming on 8.1 works fine. You should try it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, you're hilarious.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TomWiley said:
Yeah, you're hilarious.
Why thank you. I'm glad you find my honesty to be 'hilarious.' I do like to entertain.

Still, the phrase 'damning with faint praise' exists for a reason, my friend.

Personally, what I find hilarious is that people are still trotting out the "you dislike it? well you MUST NOT HAVE TRIED IT" defense.

slash2x said:
Do not worry as we speak(type) there is a conversation going on in a boardroom.... "He said what??!! Yeah he is soooo fired once we find a fake reason to kick him to the curb...."
Or once Zynga needs a new CEO.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
TomWiley said:
oliver.begg said:
Nah, gaming on 8.1 works fine. You should try it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, you're hilarious.
win 8.1 has 2 major issues;

1. its completly screwed the mouse DPI inputs, making games that read off the windows interpretation unplayable

2. its completely fucked the page file system on alot of the large adress aware games. it cuases a constant 50mb per second dump to the page file until it BSOD