Microsoft: Xbox Phone Launch Bigger Than Xbox 360's

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Vicarious Vangaurd said:
But Microsoft has been making smartphones forever. I.E. Blackberry
BUZZ! Blackberrys are made by Research In Motion, which has little to do with Microsoft. Sure, some models used earlier versions of Windows Mobile, but Microsoft hasn't made any smartphones (AFAIK). Had you added the words "operating systems" after "smartphones", you would be right.
Well my mistake then.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
teqrevisited said:
I'm failing to see why they would think a phone would do better at playing games than, oh I don't know, a gaming console maybe?

I've never understood the concept of phones as a gaming platform so maybe it's just me.
Phone gaming is the best platform for casual games as it is something people carry everywhere, and thus play it when they are bored. Sort of like the ds that you can bring with you without ridicule

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Want the phone to sell gangbusters at launch? Have someone make a phone version of Call of Duty or Halo. That'll sell your platform.

Otherwise, I'll reserve judgement on this until the actual sales figure start coming in.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
So your phone...

Can play games...

Over xbox live...

huh...

I see the statistics for traffic fatalities going WAY up in the near future.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
tehweave said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
My senses detect this will be a complete failure.
This.

Everyone thinks that because the iPhone was so popular now anyone can make a successful smartphone. Even... Shudder... Microsoft.

I can't wait to see how this thing red rings, blue screens, or in this case, green crashes. (Because that color hasn't been used yet.)
I was thinking of those two aspects as well.

What caught my attention is an "AT&T Exclusive game" because there is another AT&T Exclusive: The bloody iPhone by Apple. Just with the iPod as a jumping off point for the transition, the iPhone had a lot of interest on its side. What's Microsoft going to say? "From the makers of the Zune!" or are they just going to come out and say "We've got HALO!"? Personally, I'm really not an iFan, but Microsoft has never instilled a sense of warm, positive thoughts regarding their cellular devices either, so I don't see why or how Patch for Vista Windows 7 will change anything.

Reliability is also something that will forever haunt my mind after my own experiences with the 360 (and other Microsoft products no less). The awful reception of the Kin I and Kin II even further collect in my thoughts as an additional caveat.

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
Biggest problem I see is the name, it's too long, "Windows Phone Seven" has five syllables while every successful phone I can think of has a two syllable name. BlackBerry, iPhone, Nokia (probably actually three but Australians (e.g. me) have a lazy accent), Samsung.

Might seem at first like a stupid suggestion but the shorter the name the more people will say it so it will be more popular and require less advertising to be well known. In a addition to being long, it sucks.

edit:They could call it the WiPhone7.... down to four syllables

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Vicarious Vangaurd said:
tehweave said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
My senses detect this will be a complete failure.
This.

Everyone thinks that because the iPhone was so popular now anyone can make a successful smartphone. Even... Shudder... Microsoft.
But Microsoft has been making smartphones forever. I.E. Blackberry
Ah. I forgot microsoft was behind the crackberry. I guess that means I'm an idiot?

Janet55

Oct 12, 2010
Far more phones at rollout than I had expected and Dell was a surprise to me. I love my iPhone, but with the products coming out from Google and Microsoft- I may have to really look at the other options when my contact renewal is up. These all look like solid offerings from Apple, Google, and Microsoft. Can't say anything about HP as we haven't seen that yet.
http://www.ifunia.com/news/windows-phone-7-launch-in-london-and-nyc/

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This thing fails because it's a PHONE. Phones have contracts and such, plus if you don't live in a big city with good coverage you have to worry about getting a good provider. "I can't make calls but I can play Tetris" is not a selling point.

Sorry Microsoft but I'm not paying the ungodly monthly contract for a phone plan I probably can't even use just so I can have some crappy flash games that add to my GamerScore on my 360. Your phone is instant fail as a gaming platform for the same reasons the iPhone is an instant fail as a gaming platform (although iPhone fails just a bit harder for being AT&T exclusive).

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Balobo said:
BehattedWanderer said:
...Microsoft makes phones? Wow. I am totally surprised. I honestly did not know this. So, Microsoft is trying to mimic Apple again? Man, what a loopy cycle...Yeah, ok, a phone is a decent handheld platform for addicting little mini titles, but I can't really think of anyone who buys one just for gaming...
I guess if someone makes phones they're trying to mimic Apple who totally invented the phone in the first place
Which was not my implication at all. That they're focusing gaming power on a phone, yes, they are copying Apple. The same Apple who started implementing extensive gaming in the iPhone and its iterations because of how much extra dosh Microsoft was making from the Xbox and the 360, giving them a slight edge against their main competitor. And so, they ramped up the gaming availabilities of their products, to try and extend their audience, in turn making a bit of extra cash. Cycle, see?

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Windows Phone 7 isn't in as direct competition with iphone as it is android. iPhone is a phone, it's hardware. Android and WP7 are strictly software that appear on a number of devices by a number of manufacturers. iOS will never be sold on a non apple device, but that works in favor of the ecosystem it is set to support. We see microsoft trying to take the best of both worlds, so to speak, on this, by having multiple hardware manufactures and a software ecosystem.

This launch is good news for apple in that it will, if successful, eat away at androids install base. The offerings are compelling, but I hope they have some sort of approval process for applications so as to avoid the minefield that is the android marketplace.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
mikecoulter said:
Nope sorry, Android has already claimed my love.
^this.
the Galaxy S is AWESOME!

il bet a cookie that it sells realy badly. two if it sells worse than the N gage.

oh and BTW what belegured Sega peripheral will we be comparing this to?

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Balobo said:
BehattedWanderer said:
...Microsoft makes phones? Wow. I am totally surprised. I honestly did not know this. So, Microsoft is trying to mimic Apple again? Man, what a loopy cycle...Yeah, ok, a phone is a decent handheld platform for addicting little mini titles, but I can't really think of anyone who buys one just for gaming...
I guess if someone makes phones they're trying to mimic Apple who totally invented the phone in the first place
Which was not my implication at all. That they're focusing gaming power on a phone, yes, they are copying Apple. The same Apple who started implementing extensive gaming in the iPhone and its iterations because of how much extra dosh Microsoft was making from the Xbox and the 360, giving them a slight edge against their main competitor. And so, they ramped up the gaming availabilities of their products, to try and extend their audience, in turn making a bit of extra cash. Cycle, see?
Oh no! Apple invented the gaming phone! Microsoft and Google should go out of business for making their own gaming phones because obviously Apple is the only one that can make dem

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Balobo said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Balobo said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Oh no! Apple invented the gaming phone! Microsoft and Google should go out of business for making their own gaming phones because obviously Apple is the only one that can make dem
Yeah, I'm done. It's not worth the effort of correcting your insipidity.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Balobo said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Balobo said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Yeah, I'm done. It's not worth the effort of correcting your insipidity.
No, you're done because it would make you look like an idiot if you claimed that Apple invented the gaming based phone and all other gaming based phones are rip-offs. Apple really never pushed the gaming aspect as much as Microsoft is doing now anyways.

Regardless, I accept your forfeit.