Microsoft's Ballmer Buys Sterling's Clippers For $2 Billion: Update

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft's Ballmer Buys Sterling's Clippers For $2 Billion: Update

Update: Donald Sterling balks at the thought of selling the L.A. Clippers and will continue with his lawsuit against the NBA, his attorney confirms.

At one point it appeared as though Sterling reconciled himself to the sale, but that was when he believed the NBA would rescind his lifetime ban if he agreed to sell the Clippers. The NBA isn't about to revoke the ban no matter what happens, and still intends to fine him $2.5 million, so Sterling will carry on the fight.

Whether or not this will actually prevent the sale remains to be seen. Even if Sterling wins his suit there's no point in asking for damages - though he still might - since wife Shelley has indemnified the NBA against all losses. Assuming a victory, Sterling would effectively be paying himself. If Sterling is to be believed, he's fighting this one - and all but suing himself - on principle alone [http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/9/5795466/donald-sterling-changed-mind-lawsuit-idiot].

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/donald-sterling-backs-clippers-deal-710551]

But will Donald Sterling sign off on the deal? Is his agreement even necessary?

When Donald Sterling got himself banned for life from the NBA after airing some pretty toxic points of view [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134158-Evolve-Community-Mgr-Fired-After-Tweet-on-Donald-Sterling-Update], everyone wondered what would happen to his team, the Los Angeles Clippers. According to early reports, the Clippers have been snapped up by former Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer. Price tag? $2 billion, the most anyone's ever paid for an NBA team, and the second highest price anyone's ever paid for a sports team in North America.

The deal has yet to complete because, according to Sterling's attorney, Sterling's unwilling to sign off. "There's been no sale," says attorney Bobby Samini. "There can be no sale without Donald's signature."

However Sterling's wife Shelly has agreed to the deal, and there have been reports that Sterling's agreement isn't necessary as he's 'mentally incapacitated.' The sale was rushed to completion in order to beat the NBA hearing to oust the Sterling family from ownership, and while Shelly's always been in favor of a sale husband Donald has dithered and fumed.

Completion also requires the agreement of a three-fourths majority of the other 30 NBA owners. However it's likely they'll agree, so long as Ballmer agrees to keep the Clippers in Los Angeles. Ballmer's on record as saying he believes the Clippers should stay in LA, the biggest media market in the country.

"L.A. is one of the world's great cities," says Ballmer [http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11003237/former-microsoft-executive-steve-ballmer-submits-winning-bid-buy-clippers-according-sources], "A city that embraces inclusiveness, in exactly the same way that the NBA and I embrace inclusiveness. I am confident that the Clippers will in the coming years become an even bigger part of the community."

Ballmer is the only one of the bidders who could afford to buy the team with his own money; all the others sought partners to get the deal done.

"I am delighted that we are selling the team to Steve, who will be a terrific owner," says Shelley. "We have worked for 33 years to build the Clippers into a premiere NBA franchise. I am confident that Steve will take the team to new levels of success."

Source: LA Times [http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sn-clippers-sale-ballmer-20140529-story.html]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm disappointed and a little surprised that there's still no photoshops of a basketball with Ballmer's head on it, and that #Basketballmer isn't a trend on Twitter and the likes.

I do still love the idea of him yelling

[HEADING=1]BASKETBALLMER! YEAH![/HEADING]

and jumping around like a nutjob however.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I'm disappointed and a little surprised that there's still no photoshops of a basketball with Ballmer's head on it, and that #Basketballmer isn't a trend on Twitter and the likes.

I do still love the idea of him yelling

[HEADING=1]BASKETBALLMER! YEAH![/HEADING]

and jumping around like a nutjob however.
Give me time to get home and I'll make you one. And if I can't, I'll ask my friend, seeing as he was able to make Attack on Doodlebob (tis just as it sounds).

OT: I demand that in the contract for buying this Ballmer must do a speech like the developers one before every game so that moral will be raised. XD

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Yuh-huh. I don't think this is a good move. Sterling might be a backwards-ass racist dickhead. But at least he's not Steve Ballmer.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
aww i was hoping to see his lawyers fight this, yes he has some old fashioned ideals when it comes to race, but it would be nice to see just how far the courts will go to protect individual free speech from social justice.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
aww i was hoping to see his lawyers fight this, yes he has some old fashioned ideals when it comes to race, but it would be nice to see just how far the courts will go to protect individual free speech from social justice.
They are going to fight it. Sterling refused to pay the $2.5 million fine and is resisting his termination of ownership.

Also, the title is misleading (because Escapist). Ballmer wins the bidding war at 2 billion; he didn't buy the team yet.
Under_your_bed said:
Yuh-huh. I don't think this is a good move. Sterling might be a backwards-ass racist dickhead. But at least he's not Steve Ballmer.

Rather Ballmer than Floyd Mayweather jr.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I hope he renames them to the L.A. Clippys.

"I see you're trying to make a shot. Would you like an assist?"

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If I had Bill Gates money, I'd buy every major sports team and force them to wear tutus over their uniforms. Take that high school sports bullies! :p

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
ZZoMBiE13 said:
If I had Bill Gates money, I'd buy every major sports team and force them to wear tutus over their uniforms. Take that high school sports bullies! :p
If I could buy every sports team, I'd go with your tutu idea but also cut their salaries by 30-50% and donate the massive differences to starving kids across the world. The players couldn't do jack because there is still no teams paying more than mine(I'd make sure to pay more than minor league team), and I'm sure they would hate just quitting, e.i. loosing that still ridiculous contract money.

More OT: So Ballmer is already buying retirement toys, huh?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Mumorpuger said:

Hah, well played.

Good to see that this is making some headway. Personally, I sort of wish they WOULD move the team. I find it odd that two teams could share the same home court. I'm sure the LA fans love having two chances at the playoffs, but I still feel that a team should have it's own stadium.

Would also like to see the Clippers go to Seattle, just to have a team there again. Not even a West-coaster, but it's sad that Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton's jerseys aren't hanging from the rafters up there.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Assuming it goes through, I can see why Stirling's wife is game. Stirling "only" paid £12.5million for the team & $2billion is four times the value Forbes gives them. I'm sure all that money will teach Stirling a lesson he won't forget.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Mumorpuger said:

I'm stealing this from you. I will give credit probably.

HadBabits

Nov 22, 2013
Admittedly, when reading the article I assumed LA Clippers must have been some kind of expensive electric razor; oh sports XD

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
mysecondlife said:
FogHornG36 said:
They are going to fight it. Sterling refused to pay the $2.5 million fine and is resisting his termination of ownership.

Also, the title is misleading (because Escapist). Ballmer wins the bidding war at 2 billion; he didn't buy the team yet.
Under_your_bed said:

Rather Ballmer than Floyd Mayweather jr.
Just to add, he is suing the NBA for $1 billion. [http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11008282/attorney-says-los-angeles-clippers-owner-donald-sterling-suing-nba-1-billion]

OT: Like others have stated, it still needs 3/4 majority to approve of this deal.

Apr 5, 2008
Will he give the team a motivational speech like "developers developers developers developers" or make them all shout "Bing" enthusiastically?

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Is Donald Sterling wrong? Yes. Did he say bad things? Yes. Is he a racist/bigot? Yes. But does he deserve to have his property, a team that he owns, taken away from him just because he expressed a bad/unpopular opinion in his own home? Having your property taken away from you because you said something bad in private - is this really a precedent that should be set up?

No.

And don't try and argue that, "Oh, he's getting a lot of money for it so it's okay." It doesn't matter if they're giving him money for it, if he doesn't want to take the money and sell the team he doesn't have to. Unless he wants to sell the team, of his own volition, he should not be forced to, no matter what they do to try and make it seem alright.

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
TKretts3 said:
Is Donald Sterling wrong? Yes. Did he say bad things? Yes. Is he a racist/bigot? Yes. But does he deserve to have his property, a team that he owns, taken away from him just because he expressed a bad/unpopular opinion in his own home? Having your property taken away from you because you said something bad in private - is this really a precedent that should be set up?

No.

And don't try and argue that, "Oh, he's getting a lot of money for it so it's okay." It doesn't matter if they're giving him money for it, if he doesn't want to take the money and sell the team he doesn't have to. Unless he wants to sell the team, of his own volition, he should not be forced to, no matter what they do to try and make it seem alright.
Sorry but he does deserve it taken away. His own team hates him. He's making these remarks AS a team owner for the NBA. NBA is also a private organization. They have a 0 tolerance for such behavior. Be kinda like if you work for some big name company, and you say some racist stuff, and your boss finds out about your racism, the boss can say "I don't want a racist working here, or having anything to do with my business" and fire him. And they are perfectly justified in doing so.

Sterling was banned for life from NBA games, and amongst that ruling, it was also declared he was to have no more privileges in regards to the workings of any NBA team, or anything to do with NBA politics for the rest of his life. The team itself, hates him, and if they aren't taken out from under him, then the team will split up and find another team to play for, leaving LA without an NBA team. THAT is bad for business. So in this regard, owning a team isn't a right. It's a privileged. And he's lost that privilege, the moment his boss, the NBA itself, basically fired him and banned him for life.

Instead, like some spoiled kid, he's refusing to pay the fine, he's refusing to sell the team as ordered, and so the NBA is doing what it has every right to do. If an employee refuses to return property, then the business can take legal means to retrieve said property. In this case, since he was refusing to sell a team that is part of the NBA organization, they strip him of his ability to sell the team. Hell they were being fair, giving him a chance to make money off the team. But now, he's blown that chance so they turn to his wife who wants to sell it, grant her all rights, and now all that's left is for the majority vote to approve the sale. Now he's throwing another fit because he isn't getting his way, suing for $1 billion. A lawsuit I feel will be laughed right out of the courtroom.

Right now sterling wants attention. And rather than just fade himself out of the public eye, he is doing everything he can to keep himself in the spotlight. He is deserving everything he is getting. NBA has fired him, banned him, and declared they will not have him make any decisions with regards to NBA politics. And who does he have to blame? Himself. I feel no pity for him. And it would be better for him to just follow Paula Deen's example, and just quit while the going is good.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
It's not about what he "deserves", cause seriously, I don't intend to get into another moralistic debate, but the NBA rules and terms are quite clear. So right now, he's just being a complete and utter idiot in addition to being an unsavory person I wouldn't invite to my parties.

I mean, a 10-digit number and he's kicking up a fuss over it. Clearly he is mentally incapacitated.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Nilanius said:
Sorry but he does deserve it taken away. His own team hates him. He's making these remarks AS a team owner for the NBA. NBA is also a private organization. They have a 0 tolerance for such behavior. Be kinda like if you work for some big name company, and you say some racist stuff, and your boss finds out about your racism, the boss can say "I don't want a racist working here, or having anything to do with my business" and fire him. And they are perfectly justified in doing so.

Sterling was banned for life from NBA games, and amongst that ruling, it was also declared he was to have no more privileges in regards to the workings of any NBA team, or anything to do with NBA politics for the rest of his life. The team itself, hates him, and if they aren't taken out from under him, then the team will split up and find another team to play for, leaving LA without an NBA team. THAT is bad for business. So in this regard, owning a team isn't a right. It's a privileged. And he's lost that privilege, the moment his boss, the NBA itself, basically fired him and banned him for life.

Instead, like some spoiled kid, he's refusing to pay the fine, he's refusing to sell the team as ordered, and so the NBA is doing what it has every right to do. If an employee refuses to return property, then the business can take legal means to retrieve said property. In this case, since he was refusing to sell a team that is part of the NBA organization, they strip him of his ability to sell the team. Hell they were being fair, giving him a chance to make money off the team. But now, he's blown that chance so they turn to his wife who wants to sell it, grant her all rights, and now all that's left is for the majority vote to approve the sale. Now he's throwing another fit because he isn't getting his way, suing for $1 billion. A lawsuit I feel will be laughed right out of the courtroom.

Right now sterling wants attention. And rather than just fade himself out of the public eye, he is doing everything he can to keep himself in the spotlight. He is deserving everything he is getting. NBA has fired him, banned him, and declared they will not have him make any decisions with regards to NBA politics. And who does he have to blame? Himself. I feel no pity for him. And it would be better for him to just follow Paula Deen's example, and just quit while the going is good.
No, he doesn't deserve it, and don't you dare be sorry about your opinion.
He didn't make these remarks 'as a team owner'. He didn't go to an NBA press conference, stand behind an NBA podium and say what he said. He said these things in the 'privacy' of his own home. Does the NBA have every right to ban him from their organization? Yes. But the team is not theirs to sell. Owning property - whether it be a bed, a car, or a sports team - is not a privilege, it is a right. It is not something to be taken away on a whim if someone doesn't like what you say or what your opinions are, no matter how bad your opinions are.

The NBA doesn't own the teams, as far as I'm aware. The team participate in the NBA, but they are owned by private individuals. The Clippers are currently owned by Donald Sterling, and is therefore not the NBA's to sell, and not his wife's to sell. He doesn't want to sell the team. He doesn't want the money they're offering him. He wants to keep the team, and it's his right to do so. If they players of the team don't want to play under his ownership then they can do what everyone else does when they hate their boss a lot - they have every right to leave the team. Would LA be left without an NBA team? No, they would still have the Lakers. But even if LA wouldn't have an NBA team, that is no justification. They don't have the right to take his team - his property - without his consent, regardless of how bad of his opinions are.