Mid-range PC specs?

Vladdie93

Jan 17, 2013
Hello.
I'm considering getting a custom build to try and get into PC gaming. So far I've had a mac, so the only games I've played are TF2 and..... Yeah, TF2. I'd like to try something new.

I'm looking into something between $750 - $800 that'll at least play above minimum (but I don't need absolute perfection, I'm gonna play them on my 32" 1080p TV). At worst, I want it to play Far Cry 4 on minimum settings.

I'd like some feedback on this build, and see what more experienced people think about it (whether or not there's better parts, or if I need to keep saving up for something far more expensive).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vX4sjX

Thanks in advance!

Sep 14, 2009
Vladdie93 said:
Hello.
I'm considering getting a custom build to try and get into PC gaming. So far I've had a mac, so the only games I've played are TF2 and..... Yeah, TF2. I'd like to try something new.

I'm looking into something between $750 - $800 that'll at least play above minimum (but I don't need absolute perfection, I'm gonna play them on my 32" 1080p TV). At worst, I want it to play Far Cry 4 on minimum settings.

I'd like some feedback on this build, and see what more experienced people think about it (whether or not there's better parts, or if I need to keep saving up for something far more expensive).

Thanks in advance!
Definitely a solid build that will be able to handle anything out RIGHT now at high if not most games at Ultra (I had personally and have friends with similar builds and they rarely have to turn anything down right now.)

Depending on how early you need the computer, I would perhaps wait for black friday deals to pop out (cyber monday especially) as I can only imagine some of those parts will drop in price quite a bit (maybe not the exact same brand, but the same part nonetheless).

the only thing to consider here is that you aren't including a copy of windows (windows 7? or windows 8 pro?) or if you have some student discount like I had to get free copies of it, and the obvious mouse/keyboard/speakers (if you are playing it through your tv, make sure to use an hdmi cable to get both audio and video to run through the tv)

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
I can't think of anything that would be out of place for this, The only thing I might worry about is the power supply, this is just my personal bias though and might not actually be needed.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-cs750m-cs-modular-80-f2-91783-1353.htm

Your motherboard seems to have some problems with 1866 ram speed as well from reviews around the web so you might need to change that.

Vladdie93

Jan 17, 2013
gmaverick019 said:
Vladdie93 said:
Hello.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely a solid build that will be able to handle anything out RIGHT now at high if not most games at Ultra (I had personally and have friends with similar builds and they rarely have to turn anything down right now.)

Depending on how early you need the computer, I would perhaps wait for black friday deals to pop out (cyber monday especially) as I can only imagine some of those parts will drop in price quite a bit (maybe not the exact same brand, but the same part nonetheless).

the only thing to consider here is that you aren't including a copy of windows (windows 7? or windows 8 pro?) or if you have some student discount like I had to get free copies of it, and the obvious mouse/keyboard/speakers (if you are playing it through your tv, make sure to use an hdmi cable to get both audio and video to run through the tv)

Actually, I already have a copy of Windows 8. I apologize for failing to mention that. My parents got an extra copy that they couldn't use, so I'm getting it.
Definitely using HDMI, and I'm going to look for an average priced Keyboard. Other than that, I intend to use headphones when necessary.
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely wait till Black Friday before making any purchases!

Vladdie93

Jan 17, 2013
ThePuzzldPirate said:
I can't think of anything that would be out of place for this, The only thing I might worry about is the power supply, this is just my personal bias though and might not actually be needed.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-cs750m-cs-modular-80-f2-91783-1353.htm

Your motherboard seems to have some problems with 1866 ram speed as well from reviews around the web so you might need to change that.

I'll definitely look into a better motherboard.

As for the power supply, I might look into something a little stronger than what I got. I just wanted to make sure I could reach the best levels before continuing in my search.

Also, thanks for the advice!