Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Gameplay: High Fantasy Assassin's Creed

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Well this just violently elbowed it's way onto my radar.

I hope they can actually pull this through.
I also hope that fighting system is more Arkham than Assassin, AC's system is seriously rubbish.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, I've never liked the "[Insert Game] Clone" term of describing games but this is probably one I couldn't really argue with. They at least seem to be trying to innovate more on the assassination thing than AC.
Which is kind of sad when you think about it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I dunno, never played the Assassin's Creed series at all. I'm a PC only player and simply never had much interest in their universe.

This game does seem to have a few interesting concepts from that trailer, manipulating enemies and such is pretty darn cool.
However, I'm not sure how I feel about a character in Middle Earth spamming magical attacks and basically having superpowers. Magic in LOTR is usually a very mystical and esoteric thing that few understand, it also has a tendency to corrupt the mortal minds of the world.

Therefore it is really weird to me that this guy can spam wraith-like abilities that are obviously connected to Sauron (whose design has also changed for some reason).
Franchise games should begin with respect for the original content, there seems to be a lack of that here.

And if they stole code, that's bad of course, but I can't tell.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
I'm skeptical.

It certainly looks impressive, but I'm not entirely bought on the whole 'nemesis' system that this advert was trying so hard to tell. The concept is definitely interesting, but I get the impression that it could end up being a bit gimmicky. For instance, in that fight that was saw against the boss ork, the 'personalised' effect of that battle was little more than the boss occasionally saying 'YOU BURNED MY FACE' in various ways, which seems a little underwhelming. I hope it'll be a little more expansive than that by the end of development, otherwise it just seems like yet another gimmick to make a good game seem like a great and original game.

Still, very interested. Just not entirely sold.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Nope I don't like the wraith powers thing. Not something I can see aligning with the Legendarium at all.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
"Hey guys, we've got the opportunity to work with the Lord of the Rings IP, what shall we do with our game?!"
"Make it nothing like Lord of the Rings at all!"
"Ingenious!"

... Yeah, I'll pass.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Holy crap that looks cool. Assassin's Creed x Arkham x Middle Earth? Sign me up!

Definitely going to keep my eye on this, hopefully it can live up to what they are promising. I'm not incredibly familiar with the lore so any inconsistencies won't bother me.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
StraightToHeck said:
What's this? A LotR game that might not totally suck? We can only hope!
You might have missed them, but the PS2 games don't suck. Try "Return of The King" on PS2. The Two Towers was good, but Return of the King was an excellent game. If you hate brawlers, then these games won't appeal to you.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I think that something should be mentioned about re-situating mechanics into an entirely different universe. Plus, I'm reminded more of Arkham than I am of Assassin's Creed. I haven't played any of the sequels, but the original Assasin's Creed is way to slow to be compared to this current game.