Midway Sued Over Mortal Kombat Rights

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Altorin said:
Mortal Kombat's characters have more extensive backstories then any other fighter, short of Soul Calibur.

Not that people actually care.
I...I gotta be honest, I'm biased against the series because I don't enjoy it, though I think I'll rent the later ones again, if only to get some insight into the story...aside from the bit about it being the ultimate gathering of fighters for a tournament.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Malygris said:
Kasanoff claims that it was he, not Midway, who took Mortal Kombat from a conventional fighting game featuring "flat, cookie-cutter characters" to the fleshed-out mythology it is today.
Yes, of course. He took flat, cookie-cutter characters from a video game and transfered them to, well, flat, cookie-cutter characters in a movie. That must have been one tricky manuever.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Fumbles said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Kasanoff claims that it was he, not Midway, who took Mortal Kombat from a conventional fighting game featuring "flat, cookie-cutter characters" to the fleshed-out mythology it is today.

What you mean those shitty ass movies? Lol, this guy is a douche, He makes Michael Bay's story telling Shakespearean.
Anything makes Micheal Bay's storytelling look like Shakespearean.
But like it was stated, This seems like a quick way to get money.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
Malygris said:
How did he bring life into the franchise? There was barely any in his movie.
Yes, a fleshed out mythology with people transforming into claymation figures for little to no reason and a hamfisted explanation of "animality". Yeah, screw you Kasanoff. You've officially undone what little goodwill you had left for the first movie being actually good. And that was probably because you didn't explain much more beyond "tournament to decide the fate of Earth"

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
Okay, either you have the wrong idea of what 'Shakespearean' means, or you are confusing Micheal Bay with someone else...

OT: This is why I hate large companies. Really, there's no reason for them to do this at all, apart from making even more money to make shitty games and movies with.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Alleged_Alec said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
Okay, either you have the wrong idea of what 'Shakespearean' means, or you are confusing Micheal Bay with someone else...

OT: This is why I hate large companies. Really, there's no reason for them to do this at all, apart from making even more money to make shitty games and movies with.
Well, I was trying to use that in a dergatory way, I think I meant anything is Shakespearean compared to Micheal Bay.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:

Well, I was trying to use that in a dergatory way, I think I meant anything is Shakespearean compared to Micheal Bay.
Ah, well then your original sentence has the prepositions backwards.

You said "Anything makes Micheal Bay's storytelling look like Shakespearean."

When you apparently meant, "Micheal Bay makes anyone else's storytelling look Shakespearean."

Ah! Did I just correct someone's grammar?

I feel dirty.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Malygris said:
For the record, I actually thought the first Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good. Saw it in the theater and had a lot of fun.

The sequel, however, was a complete abortion.
Agreed, nuff said.

1deano1 said:
Does anyone actually think that he'll get what he wants?
Most likely Warner Bros. is throwing him a bone to retain movie rights, which he'll probably concede to. His gripe is legit, he's trying to protect what he worked on. Yet he really should have kept his eye on Midway and done more earlier to protect his work, as opposed to waiting til now when it can do real damage to both Midway and Warner Bros.
Legit argument? Yes. Is he a real dilhole? Yes. Fatality!

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Replace the characters in Mortal Kombat with anything that throws punches and it would still have been a successful game. People played the game because they could wail on each other, not because of character design.

Ka_huna

Jun 23, 2009
They should just make an ultraviolent Mortal Kombat movie with an unknown director & actors so the budget can be blown on state of the art special effects

Levk

Dec 25, 2008
its weird he after the big money, he did not say anything till now and they was making some money the whole time outta MK.. but either way the MK movies did not help enough to say i have a stake at this, if he wins others will come out it be a sad day =( but maybe at least no more video game movies ^^

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:

Ah, well then your original sentence has the prepositions backwards.

You said "Anything makes Micheal Bay's storytelling look like Shakespearean."

When you apparently meant, "Micheal Bay makes anyone else's storytelling look Shakespearean."

Ah! Did I just correct someone's grammar?

I feel dirty.
You should.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Malygris said:
The sequel, however, was a complete abortion.
"A complete abortion"
I have never heard that word to describe a bad movie, but ill be damned if I wont use it in the future.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Altorin said:
I III II X4 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Maybe he's a freemason.

And yes, unfortunatly, they do. Some are better then others.
Wow...seriously? They're developed to that extent? Blew my mind, man...

Also, good call 'bout the Freemason bit.
Mortal Kombat's characters have more extensive backstories then any other fighter, short of Soul Calibur.

Not that people actually care.
Shaolin Monks probably did a better job getting the mythology of the MK series across than any other MK game, in my opinion. I've said it before-they really should go that direction with the series. God of War action+ Scorpion= Awesome. Shaolin Monks had some unpolished sections, but the underlying action was great fun and suited the comically violent nature of the series perfectly.

...If only there were more characters...

gradiusman

Aug 6, 2007
I actually enjoyed the first movie, it wasn't that good but it was fun to watch. Even if its plot is an almost exact copy of Enter the Dragon.

Unfortunately this whiner has a valid claim and will probably get the rights for at least the movie he's supposedly working on now.