MIGHTY MAGISWORD!!!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
So what do you guys think of this new Cartoon Network show:

And there are more where that came from.

What impress me is the voice acting [Grey De Leslie is still at her best] and the art style feels old school in a good way.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
It needs to calm down. There is constant talking, constant movement. It never takes a moment to actually set up a joke, or deliver a proper punchline. And the character designs are just lazy. I'm not a fan of the whole 'copy everything Adventure time does' art style. Feels like a cynical cash-in show to be aired for either college stoners, or hoping to get viewership from people who fell asleep on the couch watching better shows.

The voice acting is passable.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
It needs to calm down. There is constant talking, constant movement. It never takes a moment to actually set up a joke, or deliver a proper punchline. And the character designs are just lazy. I'm not a fan of the whole 'copy everything Adventure time does' art style. Feels like a cynical cash-in show to be aired for either college stoners, or hoping to get viewership from people who fell asleep on the couch watching better shows.

......The art style looks nothing like Adventure Time, the charcaters have EYES at least, not dots.

Also these are just mini episode, the first 30 min TV episode will air soon.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:

......The art style looks nothing like Adventure Time, the charcaters have EYES at least, not dots.
Haven't you hear every CN show looks like Adventure Time despite having a crap ton of differences

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, it does sound like they're having some fun with the voice acting. Kudos for that at least. However, I agree with Silentpony about the humor. Rapid fire jokes with rarely any setup, and so many of them that I started wishing they'd take a break from them. The humor got nothing but cringes or blank stares from me.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...Adventure Time? I'm not seeing it.

Now, I'll be the first to say that the art style looks familiar, but it certainly bears very little resemblance to that of Adventure Time.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
By the nose-hairs of Idi Amin's grandmother, slow down. I've been diagnosed with ADD by actual psychologists and I felt that was too rushed.

With that said, though--I liked the jokes. I give it 6/10.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wasn't a fan of it due to its short episode length (had some miniepisode before these new ones) and I'm still not a fan of it with a longer length.

Technically I should liked it since I can easily see some of the anime Slayers reference but it irk me for some reason and I don't know why I dislike the girl voice (accent?).

Lastly I facepalm of Cartoon Network doesn't utalise the whole "MIGHTY MAGISWORD" into some kind of an rpg game wheather it be an online or console related game!

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Watched the first of those three episodes. It was aggresively unfunny. Jokes need to be timed well and any artistic product requires some kind of restraint and minimal empathy with the viewer to make it good. Just having random shit happen without pacing is not funny or otherwise amusing. Also, none of the jokes seem to have any kind of wit, underlying theme or anything to them. It all seems a lot of 'lol so random' and badgering me into laughing by having everything happen way too fast. Voice acting and animation are fine and the charactars are at least likable but it is lacking any sort of point. 3/10 would not watch.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Not as good as Steven Universe or Adventure time, seems like it has some really serious pacing problems. In that it maintains one pace and that is breakneck.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Got through half of the first episode. Had enough. Lemme lay down my feelings towards this thing.
- I like the announcer style emphasis for ever MAGISWOOOAAARD! that appears. I think it's kinda fun. In fact, I think I liked that guy the most
- I like the female protagonist, whatever her name is. She's cute. Her hip looks like it was plastered onto the rest of her body though, could use some smoothing out or something
- The jokes are ok, I liked the "I have a condition" one specifically
- JESUS CHRIST calm down! The show is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too fast. I'd hope that they're just trying to pack content down into these mini episodes and it'll actually have a little thing called pacing in the full show, but wow. Just a bit too quick firing with... everything
- And lastly... The animation style and design is lazy and shit. It's exactly what I'd expect to see for any other churned out cartoon. It feels basic and like it was taken from a "cartoon art direction" template. Bleh

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
My ears, oh god my ears!

Yes, I only watched a few seconds, and maybe it's decent, but sorry, I've got a limited tolerance for characters who don't just shut the heck up.

Apr 25, 2009
Ehhhh, not a huge fan. I just kind of dislike that generic Cartoon Network humour and pacing. Really rubs me up the wrong way. Didn't even like it as a kid, and this is really hyperactive. The colours could use a little work, and the characters could have slightly stronger shapes. They need a couple more passes in general in terms of design. I also need my characters to fucking breathe and exist as real people for a bit. Show me the world they live in, show me that this place has at least a little depth and atmosphere. I know it's not the style they're going for, but it's something I really value.

Just not my cup of tea, hopefully some people enjoy it :)

Also, beating on a dead horse but this show looks absolutely nothing like Adventure Time. I could go on for hours about shape, physicality, animation and overall aesthetic but anyone with half an eye for this stuff can see it is barely similar.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
The chick's eyes creep me out. Vertical pupils with giant eyes just feels weirdly at odds with the hyperactive kiddie tone of the show.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Just... not very good at all. None of the jokes really land, and they're not really thrown, either, they just sort of pop into existence briefly, then vanish, leaving no impression.

I like the character designs and the whole sword concept, but the execution screams "We dicked around in Flash for a few minutes and this came out."

Finally, it's kind of ironic that they made this into a show when it would've made a much better video game (POkemon with swords!), while CN made Ian Jones Quartey's "OK KO" which was supposed to be a cartoon, into a video game. I'd much rather have had that.

Kina

Mar 8, 2008
Silentpony said:
It needs to calm down. There is constant talking, constant movement. It never takes a moment to actually set up a joke, or deliver a proper punchline.
Perfect for today's youth that lacks any sort of attention span.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
That wasn't very good.

It only succeeded in making me want to watch Avatar TLA again. (The woman sounds like Azula, idk if it is the same actress though)

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Grey DeLisle you say?

That magisword show seems rather awkward, reminds me of the stuff they put on TV in the GTA games
Voice acting was rather good but the plot... ech